Mousing in Montana

Bob Balder

Willing to learn anything...
I have been fishing Rock Creek for about 30 years off and on, summers and Fall. I have never seen anyone mousing, I have never moused there and I have never considered it...........but what do I know right?

I have been fishing Rock Creek for about 30 years off and on, summers and Fall. I have never seen anyone mousing, I have never moused there and I have never considered it...........but what do I know right?
I have been fishing RC about as long as you have. I too never considered it until it was discussed while tying one Saturday morn @ the Merc with Doug and several other locals one winter...

Bob Balder

Willing to learn anything...
If there's fish over 16 inches, they'll likely take a small mouse pattern.
Well......What time of year would you imagine would be best? In Alaska I know it is an early thing, right after the break up, tapers off as summer approaches. The Rock Creek I know fishes best right after run off and again come fall, which is not to say summer can"t be pretty fine, just finicky. I would REALLY like to tie up a few mouse patterns and try it out.
Given my experience last year in AK.......Wow, what an absolute blast it was catching big ass rainbows on mice!

BB

1morecast

I could tell you plenty of places to mouse in Montana. But then, my friends would have to kill me.
Seriously, any place you can find fishys over 16-18 inches a mouse pattern should work.
Just wait till the sun goes down......

I have never done it at Rock Creek, but I have done it around other rivers in Montana around the time the farmers are plowing their fields. I've never personally had a ton of success landing fish on mice patterns, but it sure is fun watching them go for it. I have to admit, when you know there are fish in the water, I have always had a hard time not switching to something a little more productive.

I’m going try it on the Yellowstone during run off this spring.
Several years ago one of the local guides fished mice on the Stone after dark. He said he took clients out to fish them then, and caught some nice fish. I don’t know how successful mice would be during run off, but what the heck, give them a try. Good luck.

Three or 4 years ago there was a major increase of voles in Paradise Valley. I don’t know if they come in cycles, but that year was the most I’ve seen. They were all over the place.

kmudgn

I often fish mice. Browns and Rainbows will certainly take a shot at a mouse fly. Best mouse fishing is usually at/near dark, but daytime can work too. The other thing to remember is that although it is technically a dry fly you should not try to get a delicate presentation. Mice need to be fished with a big "splash" on the cast and then retrieved in a manner which causes water turbulence. This is very similar to Bass Plug fishing. I have had a lot of luck with deer hair patterns, but have gotten lazy the last few years and don't bother with those complicated ties. I use foam mice and find no difference in my success rate

AdrianM

I'm new here
I often fish mice. Browns and Rainbows will certainly take a shot at a mouse fly. Best mouse fishing is usually at/near dark, but daytime can work too. The other thing to remember is that although it is technically a dry fly you should not try to get a delicate presentation. Mice need to be fished with a big "splash" on the cast and then retrieved in a manner which causes water turbulence. This is very similar to Bass Plug fishing. I have had a lot of luck with deer hair patterns, but have gotten lazy the last few years and don't bother with those complicated ties. I use foam mice and find no difference in my success rate
I’m going with @ChuckD85 although mousing will be part of it it wound be the primary reason. I’m tying up some morrish mouse patterns in size 6 or something in 3xl using deer hair and foam. Lookin forward to it. Thanks for all the advice!

Latest posts