Two Rod Endorsement?

JS

What are your thoughts? How do you go about it? Double bobbers, bobber/stripped fly?

I feel like it gives a person the option of different methods at the same time which is interesting to me. I’m also really tempted to mix up my bobber fishing with a balance leech setup and a chroni setup.

Eager to hear your opinions, oh wealth of stillwater knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buzzy

I have a "two-pole" endorsement and often fish "two-rods"and to make matters even more complicated, more cumbersome, I often have two flies on each line (but not in BC). When the fishing is slow, fishing two rods might help you find that fly or that depth or......... sometimes I fish two indicator rigs and sometimes one indicator rig while I cast and strip the second rod. One thing is for sure; your attention is divided and for this man who sucks at multi-tasking, having my attention divided between a couple of rods is also a recipe for missed fish.

But you know what's even more fun? When the fishing is really good and all of a sudden you have fish on both rods simultaneously AND: the lines get all tangled up! And please disregard @Irafly's avatar, photo-shopped for sure. (not).

DSCF0318.JPG

I'm for the most part am a hands on kind of guy. I fish a sinking line when there is enough depth to do so and am always working the line. A second line in the water would only complicate things and take my attention away from handling the rod in hand. I hook a lot of fish on very subtle takes because I am working a line.

When there is enough surface activity I switch to emergers and dries and then a second rod would be a definite hinderance.

If I wanted to sit and watch a bobber and just catch fish I would use a spinning rod with a bobber and worms! Of course your hands are free to swill beer or what ever you pleasure may be, but I fish sober and leave all that other stuff for after the day is done on the water.

Dave

ps. how you fish is up to you and if it is legal I don't give a rip!!

It's all about gathering information. Whether trolling with two different sinking lines or anchoring up and working multiple flies and depths, it is sometimes very helpful to be able to gather information quickly. Particularly on those days when Plan A and Plan B aren't panning out.

Regarding logistics, I can't imagine trying to make it work without a boat/pram. I never bother trying to fish a second rod in my tube or watermaster. But in my pram, it's not hard. Sometimes I'll throw an indicator out with bugs hanging at mid-column and fish a full sink straight down in 20+' to get a sense for the "taking depth". Other times I'll throw out an Aqualux with a couple flies and just let it sink while working another rod more actively. Just depends on the day and what I'm trying to learn. In my case, once I think I've got it dialed, I'll stow the second rod. Then the beer swilling starts!:cool:

Richard E

I have a "two-pole" endorsement and often fish "two-rods"and to make matters even more complicated, more cumbersome, I often have two flies on each line (but not in BC). When the fishing is slow, fishing two rods might help you find that fly or that depth or......... sometimes I fish two indicator rigs and sometimes one indicator rig while I cast and strip the second rod. One thing is for sure; your attention is divided and for this man who sucks at multi-tasking, having my attention divided between a couple of rods is also a recipe for missed fish.

But you know what's even more fun? When the fishing is really good and all of a sudden you have fish on both rods simultaneously AND: the lines get all tangled up! And please disregard @Irafly's avatar, photo-shopped for sure. (not).

View attachment 162119
What Buzzy said. I’ve been fishing two rods, fighting a fish on one line and missing a fish on another (I know, tough life). Also, if indicator fishing one rod and casting and stripping the other, it’s challenging focusing on both rods. Heck, I miss plenty of fish when I’m ‘focusing’ on one rod.

Fishing two rods obviously improves the odds, but is also problematic at times.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
While I occasionally have 2 rods in my float tube (the second being a "shorty" light rod for Crappie), I've never opted for the "Two-Rod Endorsement." I have enough trouble just using one at a time. To be honest, I can see the advantage while indi-fishing, but I've yet to be bitten by that bug . . . I have used multiple rods when ice fishing, where legal back in the day and that could really keep you warm racing from rod to rod when a school of Perch moved-in.

JS

Thanks, guys. I expected to hear that it would be a challenge, especially sans a boat with a bottom. I just bought the bottom for my Watermaster, and I have been working on basically turning it into a pram. I have a double anchor setup figured out using the stock anchor setup in back and a tethered anchor up front. I also have the trolling plate and a little minkota electric trolling motor that I’m shopping batteries for. I think I’m gonna skip the fish finder for now.

I am going to glue a scotty rod mount to both sides, I think, because the stock rod holder kinda sucks.

I’m putting more and more effort into stillwater, after around. 15 year hiatus. My grandad got me into fishing stillwater, but I lost interest after discovering steelhead. Now that I have a kid it has become more fun, especially because she loves it already.

Buzzy

Thanks, guys. I expected to hear that it would be a challenge, especially sans a boat with a bottom. I just bought the bottom for my Watermaster, and I have been working on basically turning it into a pram. I have a double anchor setup figured out using the stock anchor setup in back and a tethered anchor up front. I also have the trolling plate and a little minkota electric trolling motor that I’m shopping batteries for. I think I’m gonna skip the fish finder for now.

I am going to glue a scotty rod mount to both sides, I think, because the stock rod holder kinda sucks.

I’m putting more and more effort into stillwater, after around. 15 year hiatus. My grandad got me into fishing stillwater, but I lost interest after discovering steelhead. Now that I have a kid it has become )more fun, especially because she loves it already.

While it seems like many of us never agree on much of anything, I'll throw out another "bone" to chew on. Instead of the Scotty rod holder, have a look at one of these: http://www.berkley-fishing.com/berk...erkley-quick-set-boat-rod-holder/1285934.html

I have both Scotty and Berkley rod holds. The Berkley fly rod hold, in my NOT humble opinion, is far superior for quickness in grabbing the rod out of the holder. "Vastly".

(I've never fished "two poles" in my float tube but have done it many times in my Bucks Bronco.........)

JS

Dang, thanks for the heads up, guys! I will take your advise, because I had some scotty holders for a Scadden Assault xx (that my buddy still has) and never liked the way they fit most of my rods.

Here in BC you can fish 2 rods as long as you're alone in a boat on a lake and no extra licence endorsement or fee is required.
If you are going to fish 2 rods at the same time its nice to have two identical set ups. Having the same rod, reel and line helps when you get a double header and both reels have the same drag set up and the rods both cast the same. I run two floating lines for chironomids on 2 10 foot Echo Ion XL rods with two older variety Okuma Integrity 7/8 reels. I like this reel because it has a large star shaped drag that I can manipulate with my little finger without adjusting my grip. A lot of new reels have drags so small you can't find them when you need them. One line I peg an indicator on and the other I fish naked. If the indicator line is more productive I'll peg the second line. If I'm kick trolling leeches I run a dry line with my long chironomid leader on it and the second line is a type 3 density compensated wet line. Having both rods and reels the same means no trying to figure out in a panic how the reel drag differs because they're both the same.

Old406Kid

Dang, thanks for the heads up, guys! I will take your advise, because I had some scotty holders for a Scadden Assault xx (that my buddy still has) and never liked the way they fit most of my rods.

Here's a shot of one of mine that's mounted on my pontoon.
The rod quickly and easily lifts out especially if you're trying to fish two rods.
IMG_0707 (1).JPG

For secure rod storage the Scotty's work well and I have that type of system on the back left, I cast right, for stowing an extra rod.

Last edited:
I tried the Berkley and found it a bit sloppy. I do like the release on them. I use the Scotties now out of neccessity as there are no others available. The need to grab and twist the rod handle to clear the reel can be a little awkward.

Starman77

I use these rod holders on my pontoon boat and they work great:

http://www.down-east.com/downeast/index.php?rt=product/product&path=71_74&product_id=124

They are designed for gear rods, but they work fine with my fly rods. To release the rod, you just pull the rod straight up and the clamshell holder releases easily every time. They are also made of some type of metal that doesn't rust, so you don't have to worry about them breaking like the plastic rod holders. In this photo you can see how I've installed them on my foot rests. They can be adjusted to point in any direction or angle. They are also low enough to not interfere with my rowing.

IMGP2316.jpg

Rex

Latest posts