Two Rod Endorsement?

I typically run a lamiglass kokanee pro on a downrigger at like 15ft on one rod, and a sink line of one weight or another on the other rod. and row around like a crazy fool. lotsa fun!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
One other rather lovely and frequent occurrence when you're anchored and fishing two "poles" with indicators is the "shift". That would be the wind shift. Best not to fight it or get angry, just deal with it. Almost a guarantee that once you're set and settled down with your beverage of choice, the "W" will shift and you're going to have to reposition as your indicators drift back at you. Reposition: That's pulling anchors, reeling in one of your lines, rowing or kicking to the lee side of the shoal, resetting anchors and recasting both rigs before your beverage spills, gets too warm (or too cold).......... fun and games. On my favorite BC lake this shift can happen four or five times an hour! :rolleyes:
None of that is a problem for me. :)

Richard E

If I'm kick trolling leeches I run a dry line with my long chironomid leader on it and the second line is a type 3 density compensated wet line.
Fishing two rods to me, can be both doubly productive and frustrating, and is a double edged sword...

When chironomid fishing with just one rod I miss my share of fish, and if I’m fishing two rods - one with a chironomid and the rod in a holder, and the other, say, with a cast and stripped leech - my miss rate (and curse rate and volume) goes up even higher on the chironomid stick. And, if I happen to get one on the chironomid rod, and have to put down the leech outfit with a bunch of line out, that line will invariably sink and sometimes get irretrievably stuck on the bottom.

So, for me, the most productive way (highest incidence of hook rate) to fish two rods is if I’m actively trolling. Still miss my share then, too...

Last edited:
two rods for me. sometimes there might be two or three sizes of chronies coming off so i'll rig different colours and depths under the indicator til i can find the right combo. if i get it dialed in i have brought in one line (only happened 2 or 3 times) the whole idea doubles my chances though.

That can work, but it can also be casted and ultimately in the right conditions can be more effective. With the correct winds, the indicator works better casted out and allowed to drift or when worked back slowly. No wind at all, you should use a full sink at that depth and work it slowly up and then let it back down. Both of these methods seriously interfere with beverage drinking though. Go ugly early and you won't need to worry about it.
Ira, What do you consider "correct winds". Just enough wind to keep the indicator moving one way or another? Tom

Irafly

Indi "Ira" Jones
Ira, What do you consider "correct winds". Just enough wind to keep the indicator moving one way or another? Tom
You about nailed it, although at 20+ feet heavier winds are not that bad. I feel that when deciding between a full sink approach versus an indicator at 20+ feet, no wind=no indicator.

I almost always use two rods in holders - had my share of double-headers but that is part of the fun.

Tried the Berkley holders but didn't like them for some reason.
I use the Scotty holders but with a slight modification:

I cut the holder back about half way so that when I reach for the rod, I hit cork.

Latest posts