WDFW Meetings Results

Three non consecutive days would cut down on out of towners. But I feel like the mindset for such a rule would end up being fri-sun. Which would be something of a shitshow I suspect.
Yeah Fri - Sun would really get it busy. Any idea of how the Sauk/Suiattle situation is panning out?? I recall at the Sedro meeting the bio guy talked about opening the Suiattle although history had not included this in any openers. Also - will it be legal to target Bull trout?

Salmo_g

The Suiattle was not included in the Mar. - Apr. season in the past. Opening it would be kind of a false promise, as in, "see, we provided more miles of sport fishing opportunity," when it is well enough known that steelhead numbers are low and access is poor, and floating is for experts in rafts, no hard boats.

There is no directed bull trout season on the Skagit or tribs, but it's legal to retain them when the river(s) are open to game fish retention. There are bull trout available in March, but their numbers are thinning out as they drift downstream toward the Bay foraging on juvenile Chinook, pink, and chum fry. By April the Bay is a virtual stew of feed, so any bull trout still hanging upriver are missing out on a big meal.

Sg

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I wish they wouldn't even bother with the suiattle. Funding enforcement is the limiting factor here, and adding the suiattle stretches those resources due to it's location. Its too expensive for the amount of opportunity it provides. I'd rather cut it out and apply the cost savings to a few more days on the skagit/Sauk open areas.

The Suiattle was not included in the Mar. - Apr. season in the past. Opening it would be kind of a false promise, as in, "see, we provided more miles of sport fishing opportunity," when it is well enough known that steelhead numbers are low and access is poor, and floating is for experts in rafts, no hard boats.

There is no directed bull trout season on the Skagit or tribs, but it's legal to retain them when the river(s) are open to game fish retention. There are bull trout available in March, but their numbers are thinning out as they drift downstream toward the Bay foraging on juvenile Chinook, pink, and chum fry. By April the Bay is a virtual stew of feed, so any bull trout still hanging upriver are missing out on a big meal.

Sg
Thanks
Great info and good to know

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I wish they wouldn't even bother with the suiattle. Funding enforcement is the limiting factor here, and adding the suiattle stretches those resources due to it's location. Its too expensive for the amount of opportunity it provides. I'd rather cut it out and apply the cost savings to a few more days on the skagit/Sauk open areas.
I think WDFW understands that. They seemed to at least. It seems like they only kept the Suiattle and upper Skagit as possibilities is for a potential high run size. Maybe it's something they could do in the future. Certainly at Mill Creek the public quickly understood the choices they were asking thanks to a well behaved group and Curt Kramer. He did a great job in what was a cooperative event.

The Sedro event may not have yielded the same level of thoughtful responses. Essentially, many of the crowd was there to bitch rather than cooperate. I think you see that in the response rate being 8% lower. WDFW came to the area to ask for input on the fishery. That's a good thing. The locals could have been better behaved and tried to cooperate. Unfortunately, it turned into an 8th grade class with a substitute teacher. I'm sure that the quality of the responses suffered for that.

Go Sox,
cds

Smalma

I believe that the reason that the Suiattle and the upper Skagit were included in the "plan" was to provide coverage to expand potential fisheries without having to re-submit a new plan for ESA coverage from the feds. Actually that was pretty surprising proactive move by WDFW. There are those that with the elimination of those Chambers creek hatchery fish and all the habitat recovery efforts going on in the basin that we should seen significant increases in the wild run sizes of Skagit wild steelhead in the near future. Remember out of the nearly 300 miles of steelhead habitat in the basin the historic spring CnR fishery took place in just 45 miles of that habitat. If monitoring shows that the old season structure doesn't exceed impacts rates and runs are consistently approaching 15,000 looking to expand opportunities might be appropriate.

Curt

The Sedro event may not have yielded the same level of thoughtful responses. Essentially, many of the crowd was there to bitch rather than cooperate. I think you see that in the response rate being 8% lower.
I don’t think that’s what the Go Skagit article is saying. I think it refers to the relative proportions of respondents at the two locations that approved of the “few days a week” scheme to lengthen the season.

“The majority of anglers who responded to the questionnaire said they would prefer to be allowed to fish two to three days a week over a longer season, rather than fish more days per week over a shorter season, according to Fish & Wildlife’s survey results.
That includes 74 percent of those who responded to the questionnaire at the Sedro-Woolley meeting and 82 percent of those who responded at a meeting in Mill Creek.”

I don’t see where it says how many responses or what the response rate was for the two locations. Am I missing something?

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I don’t think that’s what the Go Skagit article is saying. I think it refers to the relative proportions of respondents at the two locations that approved of the “few days a week” scheme to lengthen the season.

“The majority of anglers who responded to the questionnaire said they would prefer to be allowed to fish two to three days a week over a longer season, rather than fish more days per week over a shorter season, according to Fish & Wildlife’s survey results.
That includes 74 percent of those who responded to the questionnaire at the Sedro-Woolley meeting and 82 percent of those who responded at a meeting in Mill Creek.”

I don’t see where it says how many responses or what the response rate was for the two locations. Am I missing something?
I clearly read that wrong. I think you are correct. I struggle with reading comprehension apparently.

Go Sox,
cds

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
Historically there was good action for Dollies by skating a fly in the spring. Cast upstream, and mend downstream with a 180 degree belly, in the fastest water you could find, with an appropriately close seam.

By using a foam head fly that is silver and green, we imitated the fry headed straight downriver in the surface water. The foam head waked and threw water as it blasted downstream a few feet from the seam, travelling roughly twice the speed of the river.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
Historically there was good action for Dollies by skating a fly in the spring. Cast upstream, and mend downstream with a 180 degree belly, in the fastest water you could find, with an appropriately close seam.

By using a foam head fly that is silver and green, we imitated the fry headed straight downriver in the surface water. The foam head waked and threw water as it blasted downstream a few feet from the seam, travelling roughly twice the speed of the river.
I've hooked quite a few doing something similar with Leland's src popper.

That's exactly why I asked the question. Sometimes the misses are incredible