DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
The north Sound winter blackmouth season opens February 16th. Every year I think about targeting them, but weather or other fishing opportunities get in the way. Various reports I've been hearing indicate decent odds this year. Yesterday I blundered into a fat hatchery blackmouth and some rezzies while fighting a chilly north wind. It always surprises me how well they fight on a 6wt fly rod.
foto_no_exif (1).jpg

Daily limit is one hatchery blackmouth at least 22 inches. I need to give this a couple of good tries this month. BBQ chinook in February would be nice. Anyone else thinking about putting in the effort from shore?

Anyone care to share some flies and/or general locations for these beauties? Same beaches as SRC? Feel free to PM me if you feel generous enough to share privileged info!

TJ Fisher

I've been up for the past hour scouring thru old post on the subject and came across something from a few years ago in regards to rattles on flies. @Nick Clayton did these ever work out? @Salty_flies there's a number of posts in regards to flies for BM and general fishing information on possibilities of finding them. There's also some scientific studies out there on BM that shed some light on movement and such that has been a big help. While I have yet to hook up with a BM I have located quite a few fish on scouting trips at various times of the day that could be BM due to their size. I'll be out hardcore fishing come Friday!

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
Anyone care to share some flies and/or general locations for these beauties? Same beaches as SRC? Feel free to PM me if you feel generous enough to share privileged info!
Generally speaking, blackmouth seem to hang out near the shore at low light (early morning or evenings) at beaches with a fast drop off or ledge to deep water. Cloudy, rainy, windy weather can be helpful to bring them into the shallows. Most importantly, the presence of baitfish in the shallows or right at the drop off is very important. I will be fishing chartreuse over pink Clouser Minnows in size 2 with some extra flash tied in for low light conditions. Blackmouth can be found at some beaches which also have cutthroat and resident silvers, no guarantee.

By the way, I'm talking about going after "legal" sized blackmouth, 22 inch length or bigger, in the north Sound. Targeting schools of aggressive little blackmouth should be avoided to prevent unnecessary mortality.

https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=2083

Last edited:

Bagman

I'm going to give it a try this year, if I can just get some tides that I like for my spot. A few years back I was walking into the water before day break and spooked a big king in about knee deep water. I almost wet my waders. Bill came up about 5-10 min later and spooked what I believe was the same fish.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
I'm going to give it a try this year, if I can just get some tides that I like for my spot. A few years back I was walking into the water before day break and spooked a big king in about knee deep water. I almost wet my waders. Bill came up about 5-10 min later and spooked what I believe was the same fish.
Some good tides coming up Al.
Add in some dark, gloomy, wet and windy weather and you have the perfect type of day for chasing adult BM.
SF