Philonius

That's an awesome fish, and you worked hard for it. Well deserved, but I too am having a hard time with 36 1/2".

[edit: OK, if that's a 6" fly..... WOW!]

Last edited:

bhilton

Is that your second blackmouth in less than two weeks?!? That’s amazing! Fish size and how long you fight em are all just details, and it’s customary for fishermen to take a, “don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story” approach :). Anyway, I was trolling this morning off the point where you got that last fish you posted on here. Didn’t see any other boats bring in fish while we were out. Switched to the fly rod and took a few minutes to hunt down some of those coho I got into yesterday and got skunked on that attempt too. Nice to know somebody did alright.

TJ Fisher

Weight was only a guess, don't have a scale.
Is that your second blackmouth in less than two weeks?!? That’s amazing! Fish size and how long you fight em are all just details, and it’s customary for fishermen to take a, “don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story” approach :). Anyway, I was trolling this morning off the point where you got that last fish you posted on here. Didn’t see any other boats bring in fish while we were out. Switched to the fly rod and took a few minutes to hunt down some of those coho I got into yesterday and got skunked on that attempt too. Nice to know somebody did alright.
I've only found fish there in the evening outgoing. Hit the point early am, it holds bait.
20180224_165133.jpg
after the sun hits the water they're gone over the drop off.

Smalma

TJ-

A great fish and doubly so from the beach on the fly. In recent years the fish checkers at Everett (fish coming from MA 8-1, 8-2, 9) rarely see more than a single fish that size for the entire winter blackmouth season.

well done sir!

Curt

seattlee

Thank you. Guessing at the weight I would say between 5 and 6 pounds, but I'm not good at guessing. 36 1/2" largest fish to date landed on a fly rod.

Scouting has really played a big part of this fish and some luck, the high tide and it just happened to be moving in the right direction. Had a few spectators that were on their way out trolling. Initial run took me just to the backing with several jumps clear out of the water. Thought for sure I was going to have the hook flying at me.

As quick as it ran out it, it turned and came charging back in. Once it was back to the beach it was about played out and was able to tail it after seeing it was a hatchery fish.

The 400 miles I put on my truck scouting this spot really paid off today.
Theres at least a dozen people on this forum putting in a good effort for beach BM and this guy TJ hooks 3 and puts 2 on the beach while everyone else is goose eggs (unless DimeBright and Stonefish are keeping their cards close). Incredible. Congrats dude!

My report from Sunday: 6-8am, green/white sandlance tube on the sink tip, 0 BM, 1 coho.

Latest posts