NFR The irony of watching the Olympics...

Great Job, Shaun! I know he was bawling and not thinking straight, but the media is going to tear him apart for dragging and walking on the flag. Not the best optics.
i turned it off moments after i saw his score. Didnt see that, but i doubt they will be to harsh on him. he is literally a hero for a couple generations worth of kids. back in the day i wasnt a huge sean white fan but he has really grown on me over the years with his dedication.

Wow! Shaun White and Ayumu Hirano both threw down tonight! Incredible.
Was also super impressed by Chloe Kim yesterday. She had one of the best runs I’ve ever seen.

Also, Ben Ferguson now has a new fan. Well done getting into 4th, Ben. Well done.

Krusty

"Curling is taking all the excitement Retirement Home shuffleboard, and ratcheting it up to 4!" Jordan Keppler this morning. I actually lol'd.
Unlike Olympics of many years ago...I hardly hear any talk of the event. Just too many other opportunities to enjoy life these days.

I do, however, have a proposed modification of an existing event that would easily result in a viewership bonanza for the Winter Games....Nude Women's Curling. Am I right, or am I right?

I suppose, out of fairness, there'd have to be a Nude Men's Curling....but I'm sure I can find a bowling league to entertain myself on those days....might be a real draw for the ladies though!

Last edited:

Jojo

Great Job, Shaun! I know he was bawling and not thinking straight, but the media is going to tear him apart for dragging and walking on the flag. Not the best optics.
Oh my God. I said the exact same thing! As a military brat i know how you don’t let the flag touch the ground like that or drag it behind you like a baby blanket! I was so glad when someone must have taken it from him before he gave the interview. But he wasn’t the only one i wondered about how who might not understand that they were disrespecting the flag and i worried how that would play out. Seems like they would be educated on that by their coaches and PR folks.

Jojo

Nude Women's Curling. Am I right, or am I right?

I suppose, out of fairness, there'd have to be a Nude Men's Curling....but I'm sure I can find a bowling league to entertain myself on those days....might be a real draw for the ladies though!
@Krusty I think i speak for all women on this forum when i give that a resounding NO!

ALso, i loved the guys announcing the men’s halfpipe. They make Bode Miller sound like he’s on Xanax. I really like Bode Miller and while i think he is articulate in his commentary on the men’s skiing, he has no inflection or excitement in his voice. Kind of cracks me up.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
Shaun White was a creeper to his band's female drummer, settled out of court for being a dick. Not a hero in my book.

Incidentally the movie I Tonya is awesome.

Shaun White was a creeper to his band's female drummer, settled out of court for being a dick. Not a hero in my book.

Incidentally the movie I Tonya is awesome.
I could care less about that. The man has ice in his veins. The Japanese guy bested his already fantastic score, and with the last run of the event, he BLEW IT UP!

I thought the same things about the flag. But I give him a pass. It was a pretty emotional moment. did you see the footage of the crash when he tore up his face last October? To come back and win gold had to be pretty amazing for him.

I don't get why ANYONE would want to watch ANYTHING about Tonya Harding. I really don't get it.

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
I could care less about that. The man has ice in his veins. The Japanese guy bested his already fantastic score, and with the last run of the event, he BLEW IT UP!

I don't get why ANYONE would want to watch ANYTHING about Tonya Harding. I really don't get it.
Read through the lawsuit here: https://heavy.com/sports/2018/02/shaun-white-sexual-harassment-allegation-lena-zawaideh-lawsuit/

The reason to watch the Tonya Harding movie is to get a sense of where she came and how hard you have to work to be an Olympian. What the trade offs are. (Plus it is bleakly funny- Particularly Alison Janney as Tonya's flinty mean-ass mom.) Maybe then the flaws in say someone like Shaun White are easier to understand. It gets to the heart of motivation, and perhaps to the inability to see where success becomes entitlement, particularly if success comes at a young age.

Latest posts