NFR The irony of watching the Olympics...

Klickrolf

I've enjoyed the games so far, don't follow fancy ice skating but love the speed skating, luge and the skiing. Used to ski a lot and see even these world class skiers are using short skis. My memory loves downhill skis around 210 cm and it looks like the winners (all skiers) are using much shorter skis. Seems weird, how do those short skis hold an edge under heavy pressure? Obviously been out of the game for 3 decades but can't imagine short skis helping to go fast or cutting the turns that allow them to go fast.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
You mean they are still on. I didn't notice. All they seem to have on now is Hockey and Curling. Watching curling is like watching grass grow or paint dry.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Only the Russians could get busted for doping in sweeping.
No kidding! Why the hell would anyone find it necessary to dope up for curling?? I wonder if the guy uses drugs when playing shuffle board or goes bowling. Sheeesh.... that's a new one. Taking performance enhancing drugs for curling! :eek:

Shad

I've enjoyed the games so far, don't follow fancy ice skating but love the speed skating, luge and the skiing. Used to ski a lot and see even these world class skiers are using short skis. My memory loves downhill skis around 210 cm and it looks like the winners (all skiers) are using much shorter skis. Seems weird, how do those short skis hold an edge under heavy pressure? Obviously been out of the game for 3 decades but can't imagine short skis helping to go fast or cutting the turns that allow them to go fast.
I'm another old school skier, and I can relate. Last time I went skiing (it's been a while), I rented some skis, and all were the new "parabolic" shape and shorter. Took me a while to get used to them. I expected them to be slalom skis, and they were good for that, but they also performed surprisingly well in the relaxed, GS style turns. No idea what the science behind the new shape is, but it seems to be a good thing.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing
I don’t get this comment. It still IS about that.
not really ,alot of the commentary is the implication's of how this or that will effect the north /south Korean relationship, who's doping who's not. got bored of hearing all that shit & turned it off

Some of the announcing has been a bit hard to take. But I record it all, and watch it after it's been on a couple hours. That allows me to fast forward through things I don't care to watch or listen to.

I will say, that Tara and Johnny have been pretty good on the figure skating. While Johnny's outfits are a bit over the top.

I agree about Bode Miller. Boring, and uninspired. He should not be hired for the next games.

Jojo

Ok, i get that. Yes, some of that is definitely boring. I have been FFing most of the commentary EXCEPT for Tara and Johnny Weir! I LOVE Johnny Weir! And her too. They are so great. But of all of them Johnny is my favorite, and i was not sure i would like anyone more than Scott Hamilton. I like how thoughtful Johnny is and watch him: when someone is talking he is REALLY listening and waiting before he talks. And he’s pretty complimentary about all of the skaters in a real way.

I bet Bode will not be back. He really is bad. I was so laughing when i found that article because i kept saying it to folks. And back in the day i really had a big crush on Bode Miller. But oh my lord, i keep thinking, is he high?

Used to ski a lot and see even these world class skiers are using short skis. My memory loves downhill skis around 210 cm and it looks like the winners (all skiers) are using much shorter skis. Seems weird, how do those short skis hold an edge under heavy pressure? Obviously been out of the game for 3 decades but can't imagine short skis helping to go fast or cutting the turns that allow them to go fast.
Keep in mind the skis they hold in the finish or on the podium are often NOT the skis they raced on. Same brand but sized so the logo is at face level to the athlete.

For downhill many women are still on 220cm. Slalom skis have changed a ton, much shorter (155cm minimum) and a modern shape gives a tight turn radius (13m). Modern slalom race skis are stiff torsionally allowing the edges to hold while being pressured.

Latest posts