Snow Goose project!

N-forker

So this just happened!

Found a Sam Devlin Snow Goose on the inter-webs for sale, screaming deal for a boat and trailer. Had family swoop in and pick her up and drag her home!

Super excited! I'll keep this thread updated as the re-fit and progress moves forward.

Cheers!

Snow Goose.jpg

N-forker

Here's a little update.

Got the boat back to the garage, and as well had a good chat with the builder prior to making the purchase. This boat hull is 1088 meranti ply, glass and epoxy exterior, built to the design specs. epoxy and correctly filleted interior joints. Never in the water, never had a motor mounted. finished in 2015, and has had limited life outside of the garage. Pretty clean and fresh canvas to work off of.
Here are some pics.

SnowGoose1.jpg

Off the trailer and in the garage to completely dry out prior to sanding, stripping, sanding, and some more sanding....

SnowGoose2.jpg

Here's the list of goals, and build refresh concept.
  • Enlarge the cockpit, 4" at port and starboard coaming, push bow coaming forward 12"
  • Raised forward casting platform
  • Small side console
  • oar towers for back rowing
  • several (2 or 3) individual pedistal seat boxes, to be mobile, and strap down to the sole. Going to add flush strap eyes into the sole in several locations to add seating versatility
  • Helm seat will be Yeti Cooler for running, then spin captain 180' to back row
  • rod holders built into frames under decks.
  • Bright interior, bed liner floors.
  • 60/40 4 stroke jet or 50/35 2 stroke
So the project begins!

Cheers!

N-forker

OK, a progress report.

We have begun the cutting and deck modification, cutting the decks back approx. 4" in the body of the cockpit to maximize usable space, and tapering forward toward the bow. Also extending the cockpit by removing a portion of the forward deck.

Cutting Decks back.jpg
Cutting Decks Back2.jpg

You can see in the second image the frames cut back, and notched for a new Sapele (Similar to Mahogany) Coaming.

I have attached a couple sketches of the desired outcome, including rear bench/fuel storage locker, side console, raised front deck, and rod holders cut into the frames.

Starting to look pretty good!

Cheers!

Attachments

mbowers

Here's a little update.

Got the boat back to the garage, and as well had a good chat with the builder prior to making the purchase. This boat hull is 1088 meranti ply, glass and epoxy exterior, built to the design specs. epoxy and correctly filleted interior joints. Never in the water, never had a motor mounted. finished in 2015, and has had limited life outside of the garage. Pretty clean and fresh canvas to work off of.
Here are some pics.

View attachment 163169
Off the trailer and in the garage to completely dry out prior to sanding, stripping, sanding, and some more sanding....

View attachment 163171
Here's the list of goals, and build refresh concept.
  • Enlarge the cockpit, 4" at port and starboard coaming, push bow coaming forward 12"
  • Raised forward casting platform
  • Small side console
  • oar towers for back rowing
  • several (2 or 3) individual pedistal seat boxes, to be mobile, and strap down to the sole. Going to add flush strap eyes into the sole in several locations to add seating versatility
  • Helm seat will be Yeti Cooler for running, then spin captain 180' to back row
  • rod holders built into frames under decks.
  • Bright interior, bed liner floors.
  • 60/40 4 stroke jet or 50/35 2 stroke
So the project begins!

Cheers!
I'd suggest looking at other coolers than just Yeti for different dimensions. The Pelican was much taller for the same footprint as Engel or Yeti which was a better fit for me.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Looks uber-fishy and comfortable...I wonder about stiffness forward with the missing bulkhead, I am already getting significant vicarious pleasure out of this thread..thanks.

N-forker

Looks uber-fishy and comfortable...I wonder about stiffness forward with the missing bulkhead, I am already getting significant vicarious pleasure out of this thread..thanks.
Thanks Guy! We did remove a little of the forward deck, and the top portion of the frame/bulkhead. We will add a stiffening members under the deck, and blocking to affix a new forward coaming all of which I hope will replace the lost rigidity and stiffness.

As we do more, I'll keep adding to keep you all in the loop.

Now.... just need to find a 50 hp 2 stroke Yamaha Jet....

Cheers!

very cool project..love working with ply and epoxy, such a strong combo when completed..Jamestown Distributors house brand Total Boat epoxy has been my go to source for decades..with that rear chine and forward V boat should be highly stable both at rest and while underway ..

Clint F

Fly Fishing Youth
with running a jet. if the keel extends all the way back I would remove 4 to 5 feet of it so you pick up clean water. don't want to have to mount the foot too low or you will have a lot of drag and spray or with the keel will cause a lot of cavitation when the foot is in the proper spot. if you have any rigging questions let me know happy to help

N-forker

with running a jet. if the keel extends all the way back I would remove 4 to 5 feet of it so you pick up clean water. don't want to have to mount the foot too low or you will have a lot of drag and spray or with the keel will cause a lot of cavitation when the foot is in the proper spot. if you have any rigging questions let me know happy to help
Thanks Clint! You're not the first to mention the removal of the keel to allow for cleaner green water into the pump. I may have questions and I appreciate your offer of assistance.

Cheers~

Clint F

Fly Fishing Youth
no problem happy to help. I am a rigger at lifeproof boats. I do a lot of different systems including merc jpo (joystick piloting)

N-forker

It was a busy weekend in the shop making saw dust and working up the beginnings of the interior configuration.

Here is the elevated casting platform in the bow. Built in 2 pieces so it can be easily removed later once the console and coaming are installed.
There will be a bow mount anchor boom, routing the anchor line down through the main deck and under this platform, to be secured in a jam cleat just tucked under the aft edge of this new platform.

Forward Casting Deck.jpg

Built a support system for the soon to be side console. This will be skeletonized to accommodate the Helm once it arrives, and the Console pattern will be finalized once we have the Helm, Teleflex cable and Switch Panel in hand and we can really build to fit the equipment.

Console Support.jpg

Console pattern.jpg

Built the rear bench seat to accommodate the 9 gallon fuel tank, and battery.

Rear Bench1.jpg

The view into the bilge above the seat will be filled and made smooth to match the rest of the bulkhead.

Rear Bench2.jpg

And roughed in the double rod holder into the port side frames. The rod tips will be routed into PVC pipes, built into the bench and run all of the way to the transom. These rod holders are long enough to accommodate up to 11' switch rods.

Rod Holders.jpg

Oh yea, and I also found the Motor! Picked up a Yamaha 50/35 factory Jet off of Craigslist. Amazing condition for a motor of it's vintage, minimal wear, compression at 125 on all 3 cylinders. Starts right up like a champ!

Here's my Dad, and boat building mentor giving the thumbs up!

Yamaha 50:35.jpg

Making some serious progress.

Cheers~ Karsten

Latest posts