Hardy Cascapedia - What size for a 7 weight spey?

cms829

I love the look of this reel, and hoping to one day find a used one floating around. But I dont know what size would be suitable for a 7 weight spey and or switch rod. Anyone have a good idea? Better yet, anyone have one they want to sell?

I love the look of this reel, and hoping to one day find a used one floating around. But I dont know what size would be suitable for a 7 weight spey and or switch rod. Anyone have a good idea? Better yet, anyone have one they want to sell?
The 8/9 is the one you would want for a 7wt rod and its going to be a bit on the heavy side. I agree they look cool but leave alot to be desired on the performance side at the current price point. I own a 10/11 which got destroyed when I lent it to a client who hooked a very large king in alaska. The handle bent and the drag froze up clicker is totally gone. I took it apart and soon figured out why it failed. The drag system it pretty pathetic, same one they use in the ultra light disc models and a few others. The clicker is a pathetic little piece of metal that can easily become disengaged. Im a huge hardy reel fan but this one needs some upgrades. You might take a look at the Loop classic reels same price point way better reel. And no im not affiliated with loop by any means. I do like there drag systems there almost as good as Hatch.

I have a Cascapedia 10/11 that was rebuilt by Hardy North America after a similar savaging. Now it could stop a train. Word of caution...some of the internal bits are plain steel and subject to corrosion. Any exposure to salt water requires a complete takedown and cleaning...Brian's suggestion of a Loop has a lot of merit.

cms829

Hmmm...good to know thanks guys! You would think for that price point it would be a premium reel!

I'll take a closer look at loop. What about Speyco? They look like theyre super nice. My only question would be warranty....if in 4 years something needs repair, ya know?

Hmmm...good to know thanks guys! You would think for that price point it would be a premium reel!

I'll take a closer look at loop. What about Speyco? They look like theyre super nice. My only question would be warranty....if in 4 years something needs repair, ya know?
If you are looking for a brand being around for 4 years plus, go with Loop.

Klickrolf

I think you gotta give the Cascapedia a little leeway. They were designed for freshwater and no one who cares about their reels ever puts them in the water while out fishing...or at least shouldn't for a ~ very many reasons. The Cascapedia has gone through many iterations, it used to be a multiplier. Until recently they were made in Korea but currently are made in the UK again. They might be better but the Korean reels were quite good if you took care of them.
Obviously written by a Hardy fan.

cms829

The loop is still a few hundred more than the Hardy. I just kind of have a sour taste in my mouth after my whole Hardy customer service experience when they wouldn't sell me a simple tip top for my Zenith. I do like the fact that theyre made back in the UK. I wonder if these posts are relating to the ones made in Korea?

I do like the idea of a disc drag with the old school look, only reason I am leaning away from Speyco. Seems like a pain and I do like to adjust my drag as I fish.

Are there any others that I am missing that have a disc drag?

cms829

Actually I didnt realize the Hardy 8/9 is click and pawl and not disc. While I would love to go old school with the click and pawl, I feel like I fuss with my drag a lot throughout the day. If you were able to palm the Hardy, no problem. But by looking at pictures, it looks like the spool is internal and I wouldn't be able to. Can anyone confirm this?

The more I look at it...the loop is one nice looking reel. And the 7-9 has a disc drag. I really dont like the knob though...Maybe I could change that. Hmmmm

Actually I didnt realize the Hardy 8/9 is click and pawl and not disc. While I would love to go old school with the click and pawl, I feel like I fuss with my drag a lot throughout the day. If you were able to palm the Hardy, no problem. But by looking at pictures, it looks like the spool is internal and I wouldn't be able to. Can anyone confirm this?

The more I look at it...the loop is one nice looking reel. And the 7-9 has a disc drag. I really dont like the knob though...Maybe I could change that. Hmmmm
Time to clear up a few things for you...the Hardy Cascapedia 8/9 is a disc-drag reel. S-crank caged reels are built for strength, and being caged, with no external palming rim, can't be palmed. But you can stick a bunch of fingers inside the cage to exert drag on the inside of the spool. The likelihood of finding a used Cascapedia is far greater than finding a used Loop 7-9. I am quite pleased with my rebuilt Cascapedia 10/11 and my advice regarding the possibility of corrosion is simply good advice, not a reason to avoid fishing with the reel. The fellow who made the comment about not getting your reels wet is just being silly. I don't use my rods as canoe paddles, but occasionally a reel will end up in the water when I am releasing a fish or I have taken a doofus (a Canadian word for idiot-in-law) fishing who doesn't have a clue. Have you been fishing in a rainstorm? A West Coast rain storm?? Like on the OP or Van Isle? Everything gets soaked. Cleaning your gear should be a good habit.

Last edited:

cms829

Oops. I meant the 6-7 is click. I would be putting this on my 13 ft 7 wt. the 8-9 would be too heavy I presume, no?

I try not to dunk my reel as well and I too take care of my gear. Except this December when I got my first steelhead on the swing... totally dunked my reel. Being 24 degrees out, my evening was over even if the sun wasn’t setting. Froze solid. Lol

BDD

I got the two largest Cascapedia reels with the drag. I think they are the 8/9 and the 10/11. These are the new English-made versions. I have not lined them yet but planned on putting the smaller one on a 6-7 weight Spey rod and the larger one on a 7-8 Spey rod (both in the 13 foot range). Now I'm wondering if they will be too large for my intended purpose?

I have never been too worried about dunking a reel. I figured if the manufacturer of a reel didn't design a reel to get while while fishing, then that particular design would not last very long as fish live in water and it generally rains where most people fish. I guess sub-freezing temperatures is a different story however, I don't fish much in those extremes unless I have to.

The Cascapedia purchase was a total impulse buy. This was to remedy another Hardy impulse purchase of a Perfect and a Bougle. I bought them without researching, just because of their reputation. Then I realized I didn't really care for the design but realized it too late. I bought the Cascapdia just because of the the way they looked and figured since they were a Hardy, would be bullet proof. I now have four of these blasted Hardys and I'm not sure I like any of them but figure I better try them first before doing anything rash.

Last edited:

Klickrolf

This is my opinion, spey rods feel lighter with heavier reels. The reel is always between the hands and rod tip and line are out there, heavy reels lighten the feel of spey rods, to a degree. It's difficult to go too heavy if it's a spey rod. Even the 10/11 would be fine with a 13' 7 wt. because the reel weight is between your hands and even a reel weighing a full pound doesn't feel or fish heavy because of it's placement. Heavy reels on speys actually make the rod feel lighter, it's the rod we're swinging/casting.
Also, it is silly to put any reel into the water if you're fishing a river. If you do you'll be allowing water into the mechanical parts and there's a good likelihood you'll do it in your vicinity where you've already mobilized sand or finer particles into the water. The internals of reels don't like particles of sand or something finer. I don't fish in the rain because I don't need to. I am a fair weather fisherman, when it's raining I find something else to do, I'm not obligated.

BDD, give the reels a use or two or three, you might learn to appreciate them and if you do you'll understand Hardy a little better. Palming rims are good but not necessary.

" The reel is always between the hands and rod tip..." Stick to what you know, I guess. I haven't ever fished a pinning rod with my big Spey reels. My rods have bottom-end reel seats so that my grip hand is between the reel and the top of the grip. I just cannot visualize a Spey outfit with the reel between the hands and the rod tip...sounds damned awkward.

Last edited:
Oops. I meant the 6-7 is click. I would be putting this on my 13 ft 7 wt. the 8-9 would be too heavy I presume, no?

I try not to dunk my reel as well and I too take care of my gear. Except this December when I got my first steelhead on the swing... totally dunked my reel. Being 24 degrees out, my evening was over even if the sun wasn’t setting. Froze solid. Lol
Depends on the weight of the reel and the balance point of the rod...up locking or down locking reel seat? Just a sec...I will go weigh a reel...the Hardy Salmon #1 that balances my 13' 7wt Echo TR tips the scale at 13.0 ounces, fully lined. The bare reel is 10 ounces and the line and backing is 3 ounces together. Have a peek at the Hardy website for the reel weights for the current Cascapedia models. I used to fish the Thompson years ago and a dunked reel would often freeze...so I took three reels.

Last edited:

cms829

Its an up locking reel seat. Its a 13 foot 7 weigh orvis clearwater. I will have to see how well it is balanced with my 10 wt Redington Behemoth. Thats what I currently use on it but never worried much about balance.

So I guess it "sounds" like the hardy 8-9 or the loop 5-8 would work out ok. I'm gonna try to find these local so I can take a look at them in person.

Latest posts