Sea-Run Cutthroat Trout rules.

Chris -
The incidental commercial take of sea-runs is generally associated with beach seines which can be pretty deadly on the sea-runs. Historically that was a problem with the Tulalip beach seine fisheries and now with "experimental" beach seine fisheries on Hood Canal non-treaty commercial fishers I can see a potential for some problems.

Curt
I was totally unaware of these fisheries.

I was totally unaware of these fisheries.
I was too until a few months ago when a discussion about large sea runs was started and some came forward with stories of big SRC being a by catch of this beach seining particularly in Hood Canal but I am glad to hear that your style of commercial fishing was not very disruptive to the native SRC that is very good news and something I was not aware of thanks.... ST

FinLuver

I actually am really into this idea for my bro and father in law who just don't seem that interested in learning yo cast well enough to be effective.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Unless you can cast or in many places roll cast 80+ft, this is probably the most effective way to catch summer steelhead on the N Umpqua. Some of the purest frown on it and of those, some are even against the two-handers as well.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I think fly anglers have a very minimal impact on the SRC populations because of an increasingly sound C and R ethic that is practiced. I can’t think of any pictures on social media of a SRC being mishandled.
I can think of multiple that have been posted on this very site. Bleeding from the gills, out of the water, etc. Not that I think any type of closure is justified, but fish do get mishandled all the time.

Hey I will look closer next time. Rose colored glasses here maybe?

I see a lot of in net photos and a lot of the plexiglass live tank photos on social media, especially on fly shop pages.

Common sense is the norm and yes of course it escapes some people to some extent.

I can think of multiple that have been posted on this very site. Bleeding from the gills, out of the water, etc. Not that I think any type of closure is justified, but fish do get mishandled all the time.
Amen. There is a guide who is particularly active on Instagram who routinely posts SRCs out of the water and clients adding the ultimate death grip to fish. Even the “pros” mishandle these poor fish.

Latest posts