Sea-Run Cutthroat Trout rules.

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
How about stopping guiding for searuns Triggs? Stop exploiting the fishery. \
To me its good to know Bob's guiding as often as he can. He's a good steward of the fishery and champions the experience not just the catch rate. The more he books the better off we all are since the anglers will come away with a heightened sense and better understanding of the fishery. Honestly we need more guides like him and less grip and grin, slap happy, big number types.

Keep up the good work Triggs you've been a champion and advocate for this and other fisheries both pro fish and pro angler. It's hard to find a more wholistic mix of both. When we meet I have saved you a fine maduro.

When angling for a stock of fish becomes detrimental to its survival I hope all human activity impacting that stock would cease. In the meantime, using the most responsible techniques when angling for those fish, based on the best science/information available, and promoting that approach amongst anglers impacting the stocks would be recognized as 'best practice'.
Spend less time bitching about other anglers and spend more time bitching to the politicians about the historical lack of environmental foresight and sucking on the toes of industry!

What if we had a winter closure on sea-run coastal cutthroat trout fishing on the saltchuck in the winter? Closing from October 31st to May 1st?

Do these wild trout need more protection than they are getting through the mandatory catch & release rules for saltwater now?
HELL NO ! The moratorium that was put into place in the 80's has done a fine job of protecting these fish.
One of the reasons I fish as much as I do is I am afraid the DO GOODERS will eventually protect everything to the point that we will only be able to look and not touch, it's why I have been accused of making "hero" shots of every fish I catch, at least someday I will be able to have memories of a time when we could fish year round for sea-run cutthroat.
The stocks of cutthroat in Puget Sound are healthy and the only reason you don't catch them is your sitting at home or afraid to get out and explore the many miles of waters that rarely see sea-run fishermen. Winter Cutthroat fishing in Puget Sound can be amazing but it ain't for sissies.

No closure, let’s not even bring this to a discussion. Like Jeff said the run is healthy. SRC fishermen are different than the people that come out after humpies. Not many people spend the day C&R fish that are generally less than 15”.
The fishery has recovered over the last 30 years. There are many organizations that are advocates for SRC and with the new science that the CCC is bringing is going to only help the fish continue to succeed. I know that I end up donating and spending that benefits the fish.
Those are just a couple items that come to mind. Lastly, and most importantly, I do NOT trust the WDFW to set seasons year after year. I fear that if there was a closure that we would never get it back. Look at their record the last couple years on setting the salmon seasons.

DimeBrite

MA-9 Beach Stalker
HELL NO ! The moratorium that was put into place in the 80's has done a fine job of protecting these fish.
One of the reasons I fish as much as I do is I am afraid the DO GOODERS will eventually protect everything to the point that we will only be able to look and not touch, it's why I have been accused of making "hero" shots of every fish I catch, at least someday I will be able to have memories of a time when we could fish year round for sea-run cutthroat.
The stocks of cutthroat in Puget Sound are healthy and the only reason you don't catch them is your sitting at home or afraid to get out and explore the many miles of waters that rarely see sea-run fishermen. Winter Cutthroat fishing in Puget Sound can be amazing but it ain't for sissies.
Case Closed

Could we please not take Sea Runs out of the water and lay them on the gravel? Really. So you caught a SRC. So what. Come on guy. And do we need the shameless advertising to boot? If you want to advertise on WFF make a donation.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Could we please not take Sea Runs out of the water and lay them on the gravel? Really. So you caught a SRC. So what. Come on guy. And do we need the shameless advertising to boot? If you want to advertise on WFF make a donation.
I'd slow down there, Chief. Got a whole sum of 29 total posts. Throwing shade at a well respected fish conservationist/guide, first, earlier...and now the law of the water (not that I disagree..keep 'em wet and off the rocks, unless eating-cannot tell if that is a c&r salt fish or not for sure)..but you seem to be running for shop Cop or honorary Moderator?
You have a fish on the rocks in your avatar and no one jumped you with assumptions. Keep it cool ;)
Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 3.04.03 PM.png

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Must have been fishing a river and was planning on bonking it for the frying pan. Either that or its just getting a good gravel bath prior to release.
That's what I do when I want to eat one, which I like to do about once every 5 years or so. I can remember only three (3) searun cutts that I have kept from streams, tidal creeks, and rivers in the last 15 years. Those waters have a 14" minimum size limit. The fish I kept were chunky 15"-16" and bleeding profusely from their gills. They may have survived if I had released them. But I never gave 'em the chance. I may or may not bop another one for the table during my lifetime. If I'm hungry and camping along a river where its legal to retain one, well, I just might do so, and call it "dinner.":eek::eek::eek:

Latest posts