The New Outcast OSG Commander

longstick

BDB58429-293D-49F5-BBEC-3BEDB73114D3.jpeg
4DB32CB0-3775-4F37-96A5-88AE141B0A47.jpeg
9242A7AC-A71A-46B5-B848-0C5C9255588B.jpeg
So my dog and I took out the new boat for a quick test run. I picked up a 2018 Outcast OSG Commander. With the newly designed front end there is a lot more room for guys that want to use fins while in Stillwater or easy going rivers. I decided to take it down Washougal in pretty low flows, with good success. I need to get a front cargo mesh built and decide if I want to put the 4 d loops I also order in the front end of the boat for strapping down a water bag or extra gear. I was looking for a light weight boat to keep in the truck and use to portage when rivers are high or float sections with the pup. I was also looking for a boat that would or could be modified to carry extra gear for extended floats while fishing or on a back country hunt. If I can get the front end figured out I think I’ll have exactly what I was looking for. The boat handled class two and a few rock garden runs. Even with a 73 lb lab in the back I could maneuver anywhere without any worries. I wish I brought the pump to add air to the floor which softened with the cold water and air temps in the canyon. Choppy flats of rough water seamed to toss water up inside the tubes and get the oarsman somewhat wet. Over all I was very impressed and think the new upgrades over the old model are very noticeable. I wish Outcast would make their Stealth Pro with a matching rear rocker in the bow and add a deck for storage upfront. I think that would be the ultimate boat for guys that want to explore off the beaten path.
91B65C54-0FB4-4B5E-A301-C6FC93AEB721.jpeg
6C531E8A-DBD4-4B99-99E3-DAD92254EA4A.jpeg
E5CA25ED-3778-4BD0-BEF4-548118A1E455.jpeg
77BB56B6-6DCC-4BFC-9ABE-6F485C6B1359.jpeg
BBEB199C-C0F8-46D2-B7DD-384B6687C6C3.jpeg
432B0B93-8BE8-452B-990A-60D3203E3428.jpeg
ABD12C7F-CC7E-4F4D-91B2-57903BB164F8.jpeg

How do you get your Lab to stay put? Ha Ha. Cant keep mine out of the water.

Sweet boat. Just wish Outcast/Watermaster etc would make these boats easier to add a frame to. More D Loops etc. Seen 3 or 4 of the pinned oars break on both mine and my buddies boat.

longstick

Sorry for the sideways and upside down photos. On my phone everything looked great, on the PC all hell broke loose. I am trying to figure out how to edit pics.

longstick

How do you get your Lab to stay put? Ha Ha. Cant keep mine out of the water.

Sweet boat. Just wish Outcast/Watermaster etc would make these boats easier to add a frame to. More D Loops etc. Seen 3 or 4 of the pinned oars break on both mine and my buddies boat.
Hopefully better oars will start coming out with the whole frameless boat thing continues to grow,

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Talk to @BDD as I am sure that Catchercraft could make a simple frame for it.

If you are lucky, maybe the seat frame for the Freestone would fit it:

freestone_special_pontoon.jpg

Last edited:
that's awesome! especially that you got your Lab to hold still...mine would be all over the damn place!

I do like that front end a little more than on mine, but regardless, it's still a damn fun boat.

Thanks for a great review and pics! I have had my Commander for a few years now and have really enjoyed it. Everything you say has been my experience as well. I like the new elements and design.

If you figure out a good way to store gear up front please post.

longstick

Thanks for a great review and pics! I have had my Commander for a few years now and have really enjoyed it. Everything you say has been my experience as well. I like the new elements and design.

If you figure out a good way to store gear up front please post.
It looks like we will be getting a accessory mesh cargo stash spot from Outcast soon. They are in the process of building some prototypes to test before launching. Lets cross our fingers.

Latest posts