Camano Pay to Play

Porter

Jeff, I believe there was and was even discussed on a thread here many many years ago. Tried to find the thread but to no avail. If memory serves me right it was a chain of three small lakes or a lake and two ponds. Doubt it is still in existence or else a quick google would have revealed some up to date info. It contained some big bruisers. If talking about same Snohomish or Skagit county pay lake

dp

~El Pescador
there was a pay to play pond in Arlington that was called Trophy Lake. Managed by Don, who had a fly shop in Granite Falls (the Blacksmith or something like that). I understand this pond is now surrounded by houses and there are no fish.
There were some big trout in that small body of water. Big. you bought a membership for rights to fish. it was a fun place.

Porter

there was a pay to play pond in Arlington that was called Trophy Lake. Managed by Don, who had a fly shop in Granite Falls (the Blacksmith or something like that). I understand this pond is now surrounded by houses and there are no fish.
There were some big trout in that small body of water. Big. you bought a membership for rights to fish. it was a fun place.
That was what I was thinking of, I thought it had the name Black in it too. Some of the fish pulled out of there were monsters.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/private-water-in-arlington.78651/#post-735805

it is now (I believe)

https://www.facebook.com/TrophyPonds/

hedburner

Gilbertson's. Two brothers owned property out on the south end of Camano island. They had three smallish ponds there. One pond was just trout and the others had bass. Can't remember what they called the business but one of the ponds was named keno lake just cause Kenny the younger brother liked playing keno. The older brother (can't recall his name though) was killed by a lightening strike while he was hiking up in the North Cascades. He was an avid hunter and hiker, a lot of those animal trophy mounts that were all over the walls of that sportsmans big box store in Burlington were his. I was drinking beers with Kenny one time at the Stanwood Hotel and sugested that he should open one of the lakes to cnr fly fishing only. At first he said that was stupid and it would kill the fish. Oringinaly he had it open you go in catch fish using powerbait or whatever and charge by the fish. I explained to him about barbless hooks and that the fish shouldn't be hurt. And that he would essentially be selling the same fish over and over again. Thats been awhile since then maybe early 80's. Don't know if thats still going or if the owner is even alive still.

Latest posts