Cleaning mold from float tube

I keep my Cumberland float tube in my pickup's camper shell and it now has some mold (black spots) on it that I would like to clean off. I tried dishwashing soap but it did not work. I figured you folks would know what works best and is the least harmful to the float tube. I know I should have dried it out after each use but.... Also I read that using diluted bleach works but I don't want to damage my tube. I know there are household cleaning products that work well for mold, but again, I don't want to do damage. So.... any input would be much appreciated. Jim

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Use MiraZyme and their instructions:

https://www.gearaid.com/blogs/learn/how-to-deal-with-mold-mildew-and-tent-odors

Note that you want to first use an outdoor gear cleaner by brands like NikWax, Granger or Revivex. Do not use dish soap or other harsh detergents and chemicals as you may cause more damage than you have now. For instance, strong dish soap can cause coatings to come off.

Also note that the worst thing about mold is not the black spots or the smell - it is the damage to the fabric! If the mold is really bad and been there a while, it will possibly have weakened the fabric and I don't know how much I'd trust it. With the cover off, examine it carefully and test the fabric strength to be sure it won't rip while on the water.

jamma

I keep my Cumberland float tube in my pickup's camper shell and it now has some mold (black spots) on it that I would like to clean off. I tried dishwashing soap but it did not work. I figured you folks would know what works best and is the least harmful to the float tube. I know I should have dried it out after each use but.... Also I read that using diluted bleach works but I don't want to damage my tube. I know there are household cleaning products that work well for mold, but again, I don't want to do damage. So.... any input would be much appreciated. Jim
Use a 10% mix of bleach and water and you will be O.K.Same formula for sterilizing wading boots.Freestone's advice is very good too.

had to mold treat and restore inside of my truck (seat and seatbelts started to get some mold) from no heater and a leaky sunroof. I used boiling water followed by a light bleech+ water mix, let it sit a day, then scrubbed it pretty good with hot soapy water then then it dry very well by a woodstove.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Take it out of your truck let it dry would be a good start. Always take my fabric pontoon boat inside to dry while still inflated don't take much to stand up in a warm room for a couple hours.

Hydrogen Peroxide kills mold. I get mold over winter in my camper and just spray it on straight and let it sit for a half hour and then spray it over again and wipe it off. Where it's really stubborn you can take a nylon cleaning pad or a tooth brush to it as required. Many of the expensive cleaners have it in the ingredients. You can buy it in the drug store for about $3 a bottle.

I agree with the mild bleach solution. It might take several applications to kill the mold off. A stronger solution would work quicker and faster, but you gotta resist the urge or risk damaging the fabric.

More importantly, you gotta get that tube out of your truck. I have two inflatable flotation devices, one is 21 years old, the other 19 years old. Neither has a spec of mold on it. You are killing you tube ahead of its time.

Latest posts