NFR Kinda Fishing Related: Time for a newer truck

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Yes, 08 2500hd 4x4 extended cab long box, its the configuration I like in a truck and been looking for. It will only be a part time driver.

dld

Fun thread...I have two trucks. One is a 1981 chevy k10. The other is a 1949 chevy 3600 hotrod and a 1974 el camino SS (they are both half-trucks, so they make one when combined).

I don't tow, if I did, I would be tossing the 305 in the '81...gutless truck, bulletproof, tho. I could add air shocks to the '49, but it would be too light to control anything...3200lbs with me in the driver's seat.

Pops still has his 1972 chevy 3/4ton, I've been in it when he was pulling huge loads, larger than he should have, maybe, but he's never had a problem.

I love older gm vehicles. You can do anything with them, and you can replace the engine for a couple thousand. If you are willing to read forums, a normal person can fix all of the small problems.

50k buys a ton of fuel, and I get over 15mpg average (city/highway doesn't make a lot of difference).

I admit that I'm techno-leery. I didn't get a cell phone until 2010. I look at new tech and ask myself whether it will make my life better. 38 cup holders, air-conditioned seats, sat-nav, auto-start, etc., don't. I love driving simple vehicles. I love being able to troubleshoot, and fix, almost everything on the vehicle. I love that I can do most of the work on my vehicles with a socket set, a few wrenches, and a couple of screwdrivers.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Fun thread...I have two trucks. One is a 1981 chevy k10. The other is a 1949 chevy 3600 hotrod and a 1974 el camino SS (they are both half-trucks, so they make one when combined).

I don't tow, if I did, I would be tossing the 305 in the '81...gutless truck, bulletproof, tho. I could add air shocks to the '49, but it would be too light to control anything...3200lbs with me in the driver's seat.

Pops still has his 1972 chevy 3/4ton, I've been in it when he was pulling huge loads, larger than he should have, maybe, but he's never had a problem.

I love older gm vehicles. You can do anything with them, and you can replace the engine for a couple thousand. If you are willing to read forums, a normal person can fix all of the small problems.

50k buys a ton of fuel, and I get over 15mpg average (city/highway doesn't make a lot of difference).

I admit that I'm techno-leery. I didn't get a cell phone until 2010. I look at new tech and ask myself whether it will make my life better. 38 cup holders, air-conditioned seats, sat-nav, auto-start, etc., don't. I love driving simple vehicles. I love being able to troubleshoot, and fix, almost everything on the vehicle. I love that I can do most of the work on my vehicles with a socket set, a few wrenches, and a couple of screwdrivers.

There was a 70 el camino that went for 120k at the Barrett auction this year. There was 8 cars that went over 100k that I wouldn't pay 30k for, there was some big spenders there this year I geuss.

b_illymac

Member Active
I have a 2001 F150 4x4. I bought it for $13,ooo with 36,000 miles on it in 2006. Not through a dealer but off Craigs list. I use it like a truck for fishing and getting to trail heads. I have a popup camper that is perfect for it. I haul loads of top soil, rock and lumber and don't worry about scratching the paint.
If I dropped $50 - $60 grand on a truck I'd be afraid to use it like a truck.

Look at the aftermarket and you'll find a better deal.
I have a 97 f150. bought it as a senior in high school in 2000 with like 50000 miles. funny thing is my mom took out a "loan" with me for the truck except she didnt and just payed for it. It was a fake loan to teach me the importance of payments etc. She even got the bank to print out monthly slips etc and fined me when I was late. It was a brilliant parental lesson. Anyway the truck now has 220000 miles and has taken me to hell and back...

creekx

spent spinner

I remember my dad's 1970's era chevy trucks. You could just about climb in and sit on the wheel wells to work on the engine. Let's see...there's the air cleaner, carburetor, distributor cap, cables, plugs...I can do this. Today you pop the hood and can barely see the engine.

I remember my dad's 1970's era chevy trucks. You could just about climb in and sit on the wheel wells to work on the engine. Let's see...there's the air cleaner, carburetor, distributor cap, cables, plugs...I can do this. Today you pop the hood and can barely see the engine.
Hell, mechanics don't even know what the problem is these days, they need the little computer to tell them!

dld

Totally. I do sit on the inner fenders to work on the '81. The camino and the '49 are both low enough that I don't need to.

Plus, all three use the same oil filter, spark plugs, water pump, distributor, alternator, power steering pump, starter, etc..

I will admit that two of them are now running aftermarket fuel injection.

Salmo_g

I have a 97 f150. bought it as a senior in high school in 2000 with like 50000 miles. funny thing is my mom took out a "loan" with me for the truck except she didnt and just payed for it. It was a fake loan to teach me the importance of payments etc. She even got the bank to print out monthly slips etc and fined me when I was late. It was a brilliant parental lesson. Anyway the truck now has 220000 miles and has taken me to hell and back...
Now I know why you turned out OK.

Latest posts