It is time for me to reload

teedub

I had been away on a job assignment so I sold my Clack. Now its time for a raft, excluding money, which I think I can figure out, tell me your preferences and why. NRS or Streamtech...or some other contender I have not been clever enough to mention.

If money isn’t an issue I 100% recommend a Maravia. Mine is a ‘93 and still going strong. Mine is a new wave 13’. It’s got slightly smaller tubes which is great when it gets windy but can still run 3 people for a 5 day 70 mile floatvwith ease. The smaller tubes also make it easier to get in and out of which is an issue with a raft. Most rafts seem to be built for class 4s but honestly how many Fishing rivers have one of those.

624E1965-CB28-4D89-BF00-2908448A5E32.jpeg

Poff

I had been away on a job assignment so I sold my Clack. Now its time for a raft, excluding money, which I think I can figure out, tell me your preferences and why. NRS or Streamtech...or some other contender I have not been clever enough to mention.
What’s your primary goal for the raft?

Poff

First, thanks for contributing. Only goal is to fish the Yak and Montana when I can get four or five days away.
Are you planning on loading your food gear (camping, cooking, etc) in your raft and floating down the river on 4-5 day trips?
Or are you planning to go somewhere and fish for 4-5 days where the raft is just your fishing boat and not a gear hauler?

teedub

More the latter but especially Montana it would be two days out with gear aboard. I live a half mile from the Yak so at home, it would be day trips. Gear is tent, stove, sleeping pads, folding tables and the like. Is that enough information?

Poff

More the latter but especially Montana it would be two days out with gear aboard. I live a half mile from the Yak so at home, it would be day trips. Gear is tent, stove, sleeping pads, folding tables and the like. Is that enough information?
I think this information will help others who have rafts share their insights with you. Just fishing vs multi-day trips comes with differences. I'm hoping some others can help you. There are several quality companies out there to consider.

Best wishes as you seek out the information.

P.S. Another forum member, Davbaker, has a raft currently for sale in the classifieds forum - http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/2014-sotar-strike-6500.138082/

saffman

TeeDub: Between my son and I we have 5 rafts ranging from big water expedition to little play boats. Most of the fishing is done from his Aire Super Puma or my Aire Super Duper Puma. Our fishing is mostly lower water technical stuff but both those boats have done high volume class V as well and everything in between.

Take a look at the Super Duper Puma at 14 foot. Pretty versatile. He and I are comfortable in it for day trips or 3 or 4 day overnighters (generally with a lab on board). Both of those boats have full NRS fishing frames but we rarely use the back seat on the Super Puma (13') as it really affects handling with 3 in the boat. With just two in the Super Puma it handles amazingly well and is our favorite for two for day trips. The Super Duper (14') handles great with 2 as well but gives extra room for gear for overnighters plus handles fine with a rear fisherman added. The back seat is mounted a snap on/off bracket so it's only there if we have that third person. If you'd like pictures of the setup let me know.

Maravia would have been my first choice but for the dollars. Of course if we had less boats I guess we could have one... I have friends that fish an Aire 130D as well and are very happy with it. Lot's of great options out there and no end to the amount of coin you can drop. Best of luck on the decision.

Poff

TeeDub: Between my son and I we have 5 rafts ranging from big water expedition to little play boats. Most of the fishing is done from his Aire Super Puma or my Aire Super Duper Puma. Our fishing is mostly lower water technical stuff but both those boats have done high volume class V as well and everything in between.

Take a look at the Super Duper Puma at 14 foot. Pretty versatile. He and I are comfortable in it for day trips or 3 or 4 day overnighters (generally with a lab on board). Both of those boats have full NRS fishing frames but we rarely use the back seat on the Super Puma (13') as it really affects handling with 3 in the boat. With just two in the Super Puma it handles amazingly well and is our favorite for two for day trips. The Super Duper (14') handles great with 2 as well but gives extra room for gear for overnighters plus handles fine with a rear fisherman added. The back seat is mounted a snap on/off bracket so it's only there if we have that third person. If you'd like pictures of the setup let me know.

Maravia would have been my first choice but for the dollars. Of course if we had less boats I guess we could have one... I have friends that fish an Aire 130D as well and are very happy with it. Lot's of great options out there and no end to the amount of coin you can drop. Best of luck on the decision.
One of the guides we work with a lot in Montana swears by his AIRE 130D. AIRE is a great company with some innovative features. As I mentioned a few posts up, there are some great companies to choose from.

teedub

Thanks. Looks like I missed out on the one for sale here on the forum, but this information is helpful and has caused me to expand my research. I appreciate your input!

Love my Aire 130d. Super agile but a little more stable than a super duper puma. Did a 5 day trip down the Smith last year and wasn’t crowded either. My buddy runs a Streamtech Salmonfly and it’s a great boat. I looked at Sotar Strikes but went with Aire because of their awesome warranty and the Strike profile was a little too specialized for my tastes.

Add a Montana Raft Frame and you are set. Or you can talk to Leo at Montana Raft Framed about his Westslope package with the Sotar SL. That’s a sweet setup.

teedub

Capn:

Thanks for the input - its very helpful - where can a trout bum pick one of these up? I don't think you said that anywhere.

I bought mine from a local dealer here in Missoula.

However, you can order Aires online thru the various retailers like Outdoor Play or Cascade River Gear or even at NRS.com. Most online retailers will give you 10% off a frame and accessories if you a raft buy online. Shipping is either free or could be up to $150.

Or call the Aire factory and they will take care of you.

Down River Equipment out of Colorado sells package deals with their frames that are pretty sweet. I'd give them a look and see what they charge to ship the entire setup.

Latest posts