Wader maintenance

I have a pair of Redington waders and I mostly have had no problems with them.
I've had them for almost 2 years and I have been getting damp while wearing them the last 3 or 4 times I've used them. They get used in the salt and on western Washington rivers for steelhead . They have had a few blackberry vines grab them on the way to the river and I have only rinsed them once after a salt trip.
How do youall clean your waders and do you reapply a water repellent for the exterior.
Is it worth the time and effort to clean and reapply water repellent. Also what brand of repellent would you recommend.

tallguy

Please don't use any water repellent products on your waders. The wader membrane barrier doesn't need them to work correctly and they will all just leach out into your favorite fishing waters. Its the same thing as taking the repellent and pouring it into the rivers you go to.

Salmo_g

I maintain my waders by doing nothing other than using them. OK, I hand them up to dry after a day of fishing. That's about it. I might have rinsed them off a time or two if I had to crawl through some mud after leaving the water, but normally I would just leave it on knowing that it will rinse off the next time I go fishing. Waders are probably the lowest maintenance fishing gear that I own.

golfman44

5-Time Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I've found the best maintenance for waders is to not purchase Redington waders, especially now after the alleged changes to their warranty policies.

Tom Palmer

Pretty much all wader manufacturers recommend you wash your waders from time to time. When new, breathable waders bead off water when not submerged. This is to allow the membrane to do it's work. However, over time our waders get dirt, oils, stains etc... which prevent the durable water repellent (DWR) outer layer from doing its job effectively. What you'll notice is your clothing getting damp from condensation, not leaks.
Most recommend placing your waders in the washing machine and then reapplying a DWR product like Revivex or Nikwax TX-direct on the damp, freshly clean waders. Use a hair dryer to "set" the application and your waders breath-ability is restored.
Example- http://www.orvis.com/s/fly-fishing-waders-care-repair/744
Simms also has washing instructions on their site.

Of course if you have actually punctured your waders they need to be repaired :)

Andy D

That seems to be about right time line wise depending on how often you fish. I seem to get about two years out of a pair of waders before I wear holes in them too large to fix with just aquaseal. Then I send them into simms for repair and get another year or so out of them.

If you don't have visible holes then turn them inside out and spray with rubbing alcohol. Pin hole leaks will appear as dark spots. Mark these spots with some thing not permanent( I use tape ). Rub aquaseal into the spots, and you'll be good to go.
If you have large holes patch kits are available.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

skyrise

I turn them inside out after use. Mostly because that’s the only way I can get them off. But also rinse after salt water use.

Hatty

They have had a few blackberry vines grab them on the way to the river
This is clue that jumps out. Your waders leak wherever vines grab them. I am a Simms wearer and I have learned to go to great lengths to avoid sharp stickery patches. It ain't just a Redington problem.

If you don't have visible holes then turn them inside out and spray with rubbing alcohol. Pin hole leaks will appear as dark spots. Mark these spots with some thing not permanent( I use tape ). Rub aquaseal into the spots, and you'll be good to go.
If you have large holes patch kits are available.
Otherwise I am patching pinhole leaks.

I have a pair of Redington waders and I mostly have had no problems with them.
I've had them for almost 2 years and I have been getting damp while wearing them the last 3 or 4 times I've used them. They get used in the salt and on western Washington rivers for steelhead . They have had a few blackberry vines grab them on the way to the river and I have only rinsed them once after a salt trip.
How do youall clean your waders and do you reapply a water repellent for the exterior.
Is it worth the time and effort to clean and reapply water repellent. Also what brand of repellent would you recommend.
Well the first thing I would do is check them for pinholes.....however, I have an old pair of simms lightweights that I thought was leaking because of dampness in the foot area so I bought a pair of G-3s. After 5 years, it seems that the only thing wrong with the lightweights is I sweat a lot......you may not have a problem.....

Latest posts