3 wt spey for salt

I'm beginning to really like this spey rod instead of my trusty 6 wt single hand for the beach. I can use it at high tide and still cast it overhand and even double hull it since it's so light when I have room. I can switch out the sink tip for a floating leader easily and have finally mastered landing fish smoothly. I was able to find a small area where I could get some back cast room early this morning and was able to cast overhand pretty effectively right into the teeth of the wind. Nailed a coho teasing me out of range of my spey casting ability.
I couldn't help it, and got a 7'6'' Fenwick 5 wt glass rod on sale on my way home....I'll bring this along with me when there's no wind and the fish are up close to give a try. Really looking forward to trying both rods out on the Yakima and a few local lakes.
Saw my first river otter in the salt....so cool!
Tight lines everyone!

Saw your first sea otter you mean.
I've seen quite a few of both types, and was surprised to see what looked like a river otter. Small, thin, with a long thin tail. Hopping around on the beach and crawled up into a small hole on the side of the bluff. Came out a minute later and jumped into the water....appeared a moment later about a hundred yards away...haven't seen sea otters so skinny nor move so fast. Had that weasel like movement on the beach too. Figured if you can have searun trout...why not a salt water river otter.
Or the biggest, fastest swimming ferret in the world!

Hehe all is mighty fine, Brian, thanks! Reinvigorating my participation in the forum with judicious use of the ignore feature. :)
I'm all of sudden feeling honored.... : )
I'm assuming you mean a Perry Poke (sp) ? I'll give it a try. I always figured that was a cast to try and make something out of an initial poor cast where I maybe dumped the line out in front of me.

I think Mark is half-right: the Perry Poke is a corrective maneuver for a cast that has blown up midway, due to poor technique. I suspect that it began that way. And it was for me. In my spey rookie days, I frequently overpowered my pickup from the dangle, sending line shooting upstream past me. At first, I could only wait while the line floated downstream to a suitable anchor point. Embarrassing, and a waste of productive time. I learned to speed up the recovery by pulling the line from upstream down to near me. (At the same time, I read about something called a Perry Poke, mentioned but not described in the Spey Pages. I wondered if that's what I was doing, and so it proved to be.)

Of course, the PP, done properly, is a powerful and fairly efficient spey cast, and less trouble-prone than a single spey.

Klickrolf

Thanks for the video..going to give it a try tomorrow morning..could be humorous!
Don't worry, the poke makes everything much easier. Even though it is a waste of energy where perfect singles or doubles are expected. Poking is fun and repairs everything, even if it doesn't need repairing.

Although an 'anchor' cast with a 2 hand rod can be very useful on the beach to combat wind or lack of backcast room, I've come to the conclusion that the surface disturbance and noise can be detrimental. My 'spey' casts are virtually limited to singles and snake rolls. BUT the overhead cast can save a day and my shoulder!!

the_grube

I've never fly-fished salt water... Seems like spey casting could be challenging if there was any kind of chop and or waves to deal with, like that would mess up the anchor?

bconrad

Mark, what line are you using? Is it an integrated head? I've spey casted off the beaches a couple times and I really like the advantages of being able to cast off either shoulder. However the existing line systems for two handed casting have a lot of loops...not so ideal for the beach.