New Ride

Recently picked up a new (to me) boat. 20’ crestliner with a 90/65 Honda 4 stroke Jet, front and rear electric motors and front and rear hummingbird electronics among other things. This is my first sled and am looking forward to ripping around the local rivers as well as spending more time fishing tiger musky and trout on bigger waters. A lot of possibilities with this one. Pretty quick here I plan to overhaul the anchor system and go with a side pulley system so I can operate the bow anchor from the console, probably starboard side. Gonna try chain anchor for now and see how it goes. I also need to make some rod racks on the port side gunnel to keep stowed rods out from under my 70# labs clumsy paws. But other than that she is ready for action and I can dial it all in from there. Really stoked.

0272F0F6-B849-4FE8-B280-06CFD8944D13.jpeg

very nice, super versatile rig...my 16' Crestliner caught many fish..if not already in place, consider a rear jam cleat anchor arm. congrats!
Thanks! What are using that rear anchor setup for? I have a couple cleats in the back I was planning to use those to anchor either end out a little deeper so I can start the motor in moving water without sucking gravel. That and for dual anchoring in Stillwaters. I have an open mind tho!

Thanks! What are using that rear anchor setup for? I have a couple cleats in the back I was planning to use those to anchor either end out a little deeper so I can start the motor in moving water without sucking gravel. That and for dual anchoring in Stillwaters. I have an open mind tho!
I do most of my fishing at anchor in lower tidewater, swinging for kings on the tide push, boat anchored sideways to the push. Same as I anchor when flyfishing lakes.
My 35# pyramid bow anchor is initially set with some scope let out as I float into position, anchor line run thru my front jam cleat (open top, no hoop), a float tied to the end of the line.
My stern anchor line is tied off to an eye bolt drilled thru the inboard side of the cleat arm, run through a swivel pulley which is fixed to the pyramid anchor (halves the lifting effort), and then feeds thru the jam cleat.
When set-up, my front anchor is up current, my stern anchor right under the stern anchor arm.

When I hook up, I hit the starter on my OB, lift the stern anchor with one hand thanks to the swivel pulley, and throw the front anchor line buoy over the side.

Then I engage the OB in reverse, and standing next to the motor, start following the King.
Once I get some line and control back, I 'herd/lead' the King out of the pool so that the other fishermen can get back to it, and take the fish downstream 30 to 40 yards to the far bank where I drop my stern anchor, and finish the fight.

On really big fish, I may end up and down the river for a half hour, or longer, before finally getting it next to the boat for either a net or release, depending on size and native or hatchery.

I've owned many smaller boats, run party boats up to 85'..your 20' Crestliner is pretty much the perfect multi-purpose fishing boat ..run the rivers, bays, lakes, nose out into the salt on decent days. If and when I turn over this Clackacraft Power Drifter I rebuilt, it will be to buy a boat pretty much identical to yours..

skiff.jpg

I do most of my fishing at anchor in lower tidewater, swinging for kings on the tide push, boat anchored sideways to the push. Same as I anchor when flyfishing lakes.
My 35# pyramid bow anchor is initially set with some scope let out as I float into position, anchor line run thru my front jam cleat (open top, no hoop), a float tied to the end of the line.
My stern anchor line is tied off to an eye bolt drilled thru the inboard side of the cleat arm, run through a swivel pulley which is fixed to the pyramid anchor (halves the lifting effort), and then feeds thru the jam cleat.
When set-up, my front anchor is up current, my stern anchor right under the stern anchor arm.

When I hook up, I hit the starter on my OB, lift the stern anchor with one hand thanks to the swivel pulley, and throw the front anchor line buoy over the side.

Then I engage the OB in reverse, and standing next to the motor, start following the King.
Once I get some line and control back, I 'herd/lead' the King out of the pool so that the other fishermen can get back to it, and take the fish downstream 30 to 40 yards to the far bank where I drop my stern anchor, and finish the fight.

On really big fish, I may end up and down the river for a half hour, or longer, before finally getting it next to the boat for either a net or release, depending on size and native or hatchery.

I've owned many smaller boats, run party boats up to 85'..your 20' Crestliner is pretty much the perfect multi-purpose fishing boat ..run the rivers, bays, lakes, nose out into the salt on decent days. If and when I turn over this Clackacraft Power Drifter I rebuilt, it will be to buy a boat pretty much identical to yours..

View attachment 163308

Thanks a lot I’m starting to get the picture. Do you have a link to the swivel pulley you are using? I’m very interested in your setup. Beautiful boat BTW, PM me if you prefer

Thanks a lot I’m starting to get the picture. Do you have a link to the swivel pulley you are using? I’m very interested in your setup. Beautiful boat BTW, PM me if you prefer
here's the pulley link..this one works really well, can make your own for less cost if close to a marine store.
https://www.amazon.com/SpinRX-Tangle-Swivel-Pulley-Anchor/dp/B01FTBVF12

anchor arm secured to the stern corner, install a stainless/galvanized eye bolt to the underside of the arm as close to the transom as possible, to create a V spread when the anchor is down.
One end of the rope tied off at the eye bolt, other end run through the anchor pulley then up to the davit pulley on the opposite top leg of the V. The spread is important to avoid line twist.

The Dierkes SA52 works well for a stern corner anchor davit. Sturdy, reasonably priced, galvanized, put them on all my drift boats before worn shoulders = time to give up rowing the coastal rivers.
http://www.dhdriftboats.com/dierksanchorsystems.html

Something to consider, since you run an electric motor off the stern, which is great btw for chasing hooked fish or setting up on spooky fish, used that set-up on my Crestliner...you'll want the stern davit mounted on the opposite side of the electric motor, and you'll want to anchor with the stern anchor facing the current..that way you have a nice clean hold away from the boat, whereas if you setup with the stern anchor down current, the current will be trying to push the boat over the anchor, which can break it loose, and is more prone to tangle.

cheers

Latest posts