Trip Report Camera Catch and Release - Big Island

Shapp

Updated note (June 2018), see the last post in this thread. Kapoho area has been devastated by the lava flow, hundreds of houses (including the house in the photos below) are gone and the Kapoho tide pools area (some of the underwater photos below) are no more. So sad.

Aloha nui loa and a hui hou

Last edited:

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Whitemouth morays hunt cooperatively with peacock groupers, large blue goatfish, or blue trevally. The presence of the other predators drive reef fish to seek shelter in the reef. The moray dives into crevices to grab these smaller fish. Some of the refuging reef fish make a dash for it and are picked off the predators that surround the moray. Chaos works in the predators' favor.
Steve

Last edited:

Shapp

Yeah, and it helps to be in the water early in the morning to see these predators, the grouper/moray shots were from about 7:30am. Of note is that Peacock grouper are not native to the Hawaiian Islands. I thought it was more that the peacock grouper follow the eels around to snatch up fish they miss or that are scared away from the eel toward the grouper. I don't think there is any benefit to the eel and therefore, its not cooperative.

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
Thanks the the tropical fix as always, great shots!

I wanted to comment on that "Astoria" book though. It's one of the best historical accounts of our region - an excellent, and riveting non fiction read!
Can't beat tree ripened papayas too!

Shapp

that "Astoria" book....It's one of the best historical accounts of our region - an excellent, and riveting non fiction read!
Yes it is a great book and Hawaii also plays into the historical account as well. In fact, if Hunt had not gone to winter in Hawaii to "repair" the ship (Beaver), and instead went to Astoria to resume control (as he rightly should have as appointed leader by Astor) he may have been able to stave off the selling of Astoria to the North West Company. Then British Columbia and the Yukon may well have been part of the United States rather than Canada today.

Shapp

Champagne ponds are cool, glad they are protected. Mems.
I believe the picture you posted is of the Wai'opae Tide Pools, which is a marine life conservation district and is where the first fish pictures I posted are from, also known as Kapoho Tide Pools as they are accessed down Kapoho Kai Road:
http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/marine-m...servation-districts/hawaii-waiopae-tidepools/

The Champagne Pond is a swimming area around to the north of Wai'opae Tide Pools, with no corral and has generally gravelly sandy bottom that is to the north and accessed via a public lava road, or through gated community down Kapoho Beach/Laimana Rd. I have swam in the Champagne Pond and didn't find it particularly interesting (for fish). It is under no special anti-fishing protections.

The second group of fish pictures with the eels and such are from snorking off the Ka'awaloa flats in Kealakekua Bay.

Last edited:

Mems

Yup they are right next to each other, my wife's favorite place to snorkel. Kealakekua Bay is great, manta rays, milkfish, etc, great diving. Next time you should hike down to Halape for some real adventures. Glad you had fun.

Shapp

well the champagne pond is "next" to Wai'opae in the sense that they are about 3/4 of a mile apart in a straight line or 1.5 miles by walking or a few miles apart by road access.

I get your profile shows you are "from" the big island. Not newbs :) spent weeks at a time camping around the island in a VW van multiple times, have had quite a few "real adventures" there. I actually know where Umi's well is (you can't get that from google), which allows us to stay for multiple days in a row at the bivy sight pictured above that used to be the hub of the Big Island centuries ago.

our home on wheels for many many beautiful nights in paradise

down deep in the beautiful valley of kalo

One of my favorite places to stay for a week or two at Z's hanging with Gandalf of the beach, grill some kababs and ono (from da fish house) on the fire.

One of many

No description really needed of the Head.

Last edited:

Mems

Cool, glad you got off the beaten path. The Big Island has many unique places to see and so many different terrain and beaches to explore. Thanks for sharing your pictures. There is a ton of snow on both mountains right now, lots of thunderstorms last week. Hope the rains let up soon. You should try some fishing next time you are over here. Thanks again for posting, Don.

Latest posts