Looking to move.

Old trout

My wife and I are getting tired of the traffic, crime and all the crap of the Seattle area. This is not the same city we moved to in 1973. We are looking to move in about three years ( when our four legged children are gone). I am from southwest Washington and have relatives in Oregon. I suggested Idaho or Montana, but the wife won't go for i-- too cold in winter. So--all you Oregon members, any suggestions of where to move?

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
......................I suggested Idaho or Montana, but the wife won't go for i-- too cold in winter...................
But it is a "dry cold".

I remember when I first moved to Wenatchee and it was 30 degrees and cloudy one day....55 and sunny in Seattle. Drove over the pass and froze my ass!!

I would scratch Montana off the list, but Lewiston south in Idaho at low elevations works pretty well. Boise would be on my list, but it is soon to be larger than the Spokane metro area.

It really sounds like your not moving out of western Washington. I would look for a place over there outside the Seattle metro area. There must be some worthwhile communities.

Billy McFly

I'd look at The Bend area. All kinds of great outdoor activities. Nice little town. It is a different kind of cold.
Sandpoint ID is very nice too. If you are staying on the western side of the Cascades somewhere outside of Corvallis toward the Alsea River would be nice. Good fishing and not too far from the Oregon coast.
From there head east over the Santiam Highway to the Mt Jefferson Wilderness and on to Bend and the Deschutes.....

That's it, I'm moving to Corvaliss

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
Eugene? I had a friend leave Western Washington for Eugene. Really liked it when i went to visit him.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Yeah, don't come to Montana. Right now it's 2 degrees out we had a high of about 5 degrees today. Snow on the ground from November until now. About 18 " on the ground this winter. I don't look for it to leave until April. Should keep the skinny water filled up.

Vladimir Steblina

Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working
Eugene? I had a friend leave Western Washington for Eugene. Really liked it when i went to visit him.
Corvallis if you have a background in the sciences.

Eugene if your degree is in the liberal arts.

Eugene is a great town.....if it were not for the rain. Not a match with my politics...but it shows that a good community does not have to be liberal or conservative to be a good community. Good town.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
Anywhere inland in summer is going to be hot as the hubs of hell compared to Seattle. And many of the coastal valleys have terrible fog in winter which is even worse than rain to me. It will take a lot of research to find the perfect place.

Walla Walla and Clarkston have relatively mild winter climates if staying in Washington is an option. Moving is a bitch-there are just too damned many people everywhere anymore. When I was born there was less than 130 million people in the country-today 326 million 80 years later. No wonder everything looks crowded to me.....it's 2.5X as crowded as it was.

Western Montana weather is not as bad as it's reputation. Hamilton, Missoula, Superior, Polson, Whitefish are all nice. Cold, yes, but not the bitter day after day cold of the east of the rockies. Less wind, and a tad milder summers. Plus, there are TREES!

Squamishpoacher

Vancouver Island.
We tell people when they move here to make sure to tell all their friends back home that all the old men are grumpy, all the women are crabby bitches, the kids are all juvenile delinquents, all the dogs bite, everything is expensive and the ferry across is a pain in the ass. But, if you're ever in a bind, you'd be welcome. Just make sure you help keep the rumour we started alive.

Billy McFly

Wow - I didn't even think about BC. That opens a lot of really amazing possibilities. I think somewhere along the Powder Highway in the BC Okanogan.

FinLuver

My wife and I are getting tired of the traffic, crime and all the crap of the Seattle area. This is not the same city we moved to in 1973. We are looking to move in about three years ( when our four legged children are gone). I am from southwest Washington and have relatives in Oregon. I suggested Idaho or Montana, but the wife won't go for i-- too cold in winter. So--all you Oregon members, any suggestions of where to move?
I was born and raised in Oregon and where you wish to relocate and retire, depends greatly in the climate, culture, and recreation you are looking for. If you're looking for more a moderate temperate climate, great recreation, and city cultural life, I would recommend Grants Pass south to Medford. However, if you are tired of the traffic and crime, I have to warn you, that Oregon policy makers follow the suit with Washington's progressive-liberal, follow the leader, jump off the cliff policies...which have created a safe haven for the me-me-me, criminal, get stuff free element. Crime is heavy in the southern I-5 counties. It's not the Oregon that I grew to know and love, that's for sure. If politics are any indication, the state as a landmass is red, but for the four or five counties and cities that have created this environment are blue. I hope you will come and enjoy what the state has to offer, but please don't come to create and vote for what you left behind. So many who have relocated here have done just that. Just my .02 cents.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts