SBS Single feather flatwing

A smaller flatwing for PS

A lot easier if you have a good feather. If you’re just starting and having trouble finding good feathers PM me and I will send you a few. Gig harbor and avid both have saddles for flatwings just tell them what you’re tying and they will help you, don’t buy the whiting flatwing saddles they cost $50 and have mostly large feathers.

Also, if you want to really dive head first into this thing get in touch with @Justin Waters and schedule a class with Brita, I took a class with her in July and it drastically reduced my learning curve.

6E0C0568-1093-4C08-9908-CC560FE390BD.jpeg
1. I use tiemco 811-s size six here, important to have a heavy hook so the fly keels properly. Ahrex light stingers are ok but don’t compare in my mind to the tiemco

wrap thread to bend, Tie in bucktail and press down with thumb to flatten around hook, use hair from the base of the bt

06F607FA-113D-4C28-AD56-0EF365B982BE.jpeg

2. Prep feather, strip until the fluffy is almost gone, right where the stem starts to get thin, if you go to far it will be tough to tie in properly, so make sure the stem isn’t too thin

133A700D-8030-4C2B-838C-A0064924C64D.jpeg

4. Tie in, sometimes you will need a little puff of the fluffy stuff but with single feather fw’s you usually don’t so I skip. Spend however long it takes to get it perfectly flat, these flies take more time than others to
Tie and will swim way better if the wing is tied properly, and it’s the hardest part so you might as well practice over and over on each fly rather than tying 30 shitty ones.

then wrap forward without putting tension on the bobbin so you don’t tweak it.

BF0B0212-31EF-4078-AA15-21A5922C3CA5.jpeg

5. Dab a tiny bit of loon flow right where the feather is tied in, keep it light, then cure

37C33569-38FC-4085-BE02-0821DAAB89DC.jpeg

6. Tie in flashabou on top and extend just past feather

25CA27A5-6B64-492C-B6D8-140804B6AA15.jpeg

7. Tie in flat braid. Use lagartun. Be careful when wrapping not to tilt the feather.

EEF846BC-6F38-45BD-A697-8F7E11BDFD8D.jpeg

8. This is hard to describe, but flip the fly and tie in a clump of minnow belly dubbing, you can also use bt or fox tail or polar bear, then fold over and wrap tight. That’s our little dog drinking water.

8ED9FE30-3E47-4824-9CE7-762C9026865C.jpeg

FB658A12-BB8F-4AA4-A266-0A133B3E2EB0.jpeg

9. If you are going to take the time to tie a flatwing, might as well take the time to blend a few bt’s to make it look sweet, I used lavender and light blue and some sort of floro yellow, then tie it in on top. Take your time here, press down with thumb and then prop up a few times to make sure it doesn’t lay completely flat.

51C97E34-804E-4D9F-8BD5-F562C016CF87.jpeg

2897D108-A9DB-4C98-88F1-72DD34DF68D0.jpeg

10. Tie in a few herls on top. Keep them even on top, easy to have them slant off to one side here.

29B1CAB7-D068-4E24-B87F-C52BB7AC57A0.jpeg

11. This part is hard to describe, but to prep the JC strip away fuzzies, pull back the lower strands and trim, run over a bit of wax and tie in on either side, if doing for the first time it just takes a bit of practice. The video that orvis posted on single feather flatwing does a good job of showing this. If you don’t have JC, or want to do it a bit different you can add a flymen fish head with eyes or just add eyes and uv them.

F8E57427-F0D6-411C-A0EA-33D2BA52D559.jpeg

72933E51-E5BC-4D00-881A-BEFA47639300.jpeg

12. Trim the Jc stems and Whip finish, cure head with loon flow.
821B0C0B-F73E-42BE-979E-1938EB8E568F.jpeg

Now the hard part, find the fish to present the fly to :)

971E989C-1B8A-4E2D-A6BE-80D8642C08ED.jpeg

7800ACE5-90C4-48AE-AE97-4D4228CA5045.jpeg

7C703EC8-16AE-4180-9D5A-675E3FE024C3.jpeg

holtad

Anyone have an at home "hack" way to test a fly in the water? I'm not that close to any fly-shops that have a swim tank & i've found that some of my "best" flatwings (those that look right to me/feather is very flat) still sometimes keel to the side in the water. I took note of the heavier hook, and I tend to do that already but anyone have a good way to test at home?

Anyone have an at home "hack" way to test a fly in the water? I'm not that close to any fly-shops that have a swim tank & i've found that some of my "best" flatwings (those that look right to me/feather is very flat) still sometimes keel to the side in the water. I took note of the heavier hook, and I tend to do that already but anyone have a good way to test at home?
I don’t have any tips on at home hacks, I got the flymen tank off the orvis site, was the only place I could find one, and I love it, really helped me to dial in the flatwings. There’s also some videos on how to make your own tank but I’m not very handy and I think I likely would have electrocuted myself.

What kind of feathers are you using? As soon as
I got the right feathers, and switched up to the minnow belly for the underside I stopped having problems with the keeling. Also, when I have tied larger flatwings I have added a bit of .15 non lead wire and that has helped on those with more feathers and fluff

holtad

I took the class from Nathan Keen @ Avid this past weekend and, as you'd guess, it made a HUGE difference in my flatwings...

Great learning from a master & seeing new techniques/patterns and meeting some fellow tiers. The biggest thing that helped my technique was to really pay attention to tying in all of the tail elements (neck hackle, saddle hackles & synthetics) right on top of each other & right on top of the fluff ball. It is really easy to wrap forward a little bit as you add each layer and that is what tends to get the feathers off-kilter. This portion can also be tied with very loose wraps since you lock it all down once you do wrap forward & put on the body braid.

I'm also now super bias with fishing flatwings. I fished yesterday to a spot that had a ton of rising fish & my flatwing sandlance out fished my squimp, krill, and keta rose by like 5:1. I did catch fish on all of them though:) I think my favorite part is casting out a much lighter fly, without the big cone/dumbell eye... Seems to just rocket out with a perfect loop, without kind of piling up line etc... Very rewarding to hook a this fish on my first cast with a newly tied fly!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/media/src.44453/

I took the class from Nathan Keen @ Avid this past weekend and, as you'd guess, it made a HUGE difference in my flatwings...

Great learning from a master & seeing new techniques/patterns and meeting some fellow tiers. The biggest thing that helped my technique was to really pay attention to tying in all of the tail elements (neck hackle, saddle hackles & synthetics) right on top of each other & right on top of the fluff ball. It is really easy to wrap forward a little bit as you add each layer and that is what tends to get the feathers off-kilter. This portion can also be tied with very loose wraps since you lock it all down once you do wrap forward & put on the body braid.

I'm also now super bias with fishing flatwings. I fished yesterday to a spot that had a ton of rising fish & my flatwing sandlance out fished my squimp, krill, and keta rose by like 5:1. I did catch fish on all of them though:) I think my favorite part is casting out a much lighter fly, without the big cone/dumbell eye... Seems to just rocket out with a perfect loop, without kind of piling up line etc... Very rewarding to hook a this fish on my first cast with a newly tied fly!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/media/src.44453/
Nathan is a absolute master. I have been wanting to get one of his for my collection. I would of loved to attend that one!

I am obviously slightly bias towards to flat wing (maybe over the top in my previous defense). The flatwing keeps a super awesome profile while remaining light in the water and easy to cast.

That would of been a great class to take! I wanted to sign up and totally forgot!

Latest posts