What is “Too Spicey”

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
4B095D69-1FDE-43B8-8A22-40B41BCA4CD3.jpeg
My wife and I like our food on the spicey side. When I cook for a group of unknown people, which is the bulk of my cooking, I always stay away from including much spice. Instead I put bottles on the table for those who like it hot.

Most people don’t know the Scoville Scale. So what does a cook really know when someone says, “I like my food on the spicey side.” Or, “I don’t like things too spicey.”

Is the person who wrote this review not a big fan of spicey food, or is this meal just over the top.

Korean Suicide Burrito at John’s Snack & Deli (San Francisco)
The Korean Suicide Burrito at John’s Snack & Deli in San Francisco, made with Chinese, Mexican, and Korean peppers, almost turned food blogger Foodysseus into an infant: “I can only barely begin to describe this harrowing experience without succumbing to my most heartfelt desire to curl up into a fetal position and cry for my mommy. Each bolus was like a pitch-soaked rock from a flaming catapult assaulting the failing fortress of my constitution. My nose ran, my eyes watered, my pores leaked sweat, and my esophagus had somehow learned to strangle itself.”

Source: https://www.thedailymeal.com/eat/11-spiciest-dishes-america-slideshow/slide-7

IveofIone

• I turn left at Alleppo pepper which is between Jalapeno and Serrano. Unlike many peppers that are simply hot Alleppo has flavor-the missing ingredient in many of the hotter peppers.

Trapper

• I turn left at Alleppo pepper which is between Jalapeno and Serrano. Unlike many peppers that are simply hot Alleppo has flavor-the missing ingredient in many of the hotter peppers.
Agreed. I use Alleppo often. Lots of flavor with a little heat. I buy mine from Penzeys because Helena, Montana has no real local source of fresh ground spices. Maybe it’s because Montana’s Mexican, Asians, Africans, make up <1% of the population.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I quit at Jalapeno. My Kids have no problem venturing up to the Ghost Pepper range & have both tried Carolina Reaper sauce, but vowed to never return, lol.

Salmo_g

Often Asian restaurants list a "star" scale on their menu, like up to 4 stars. I am decidedly in the one star camp. A friend of mine is ethnic Chinese (not that that has anything to do with this) and he and his wife like their food spicy, as in 3 or 4 stars. We were eating in a Thai restaurant and talking with the waitress about the spice heat in the food because I told her that last time I was in I asked for one star and was served two. She insisted that I was indeed given one star. As we conversed, my friend, who has traveled in China, Thailand, and Vietnam asked the girl how hot is "Thai" hot. Without hesitating the waitress answered that would be 10 stars.

No thanks. Seasoning food makes sense to me. It tastes good. But more than one star and I spend more time blowing my nose and wiping the sweat off my forehead and very little time, in fact no time, enjoying my meal. So I will stay happy where I am with my one star meals and not having to contend with a bowl full of snot when the whole idea was to get something to eat.

Trapper

I make my own Chipotle (smoked jalapenos). I venture into the Serrano range. I don’t use Cayenne because it seems to be all heat and no flavor.

I like Ancho/poblano and Alleppo which falls into the same range.

While I like spice, I figure even the diluted capsaicin can stop a bear. I don’t want either one of them in my mouth.

Porter

I stop at Serrano, however I have had some really good fruit salsa's with Habanero (with Mango, or Pineapple). However the burn stays in my mouth for a while and the only thing to relieve it is another scoop of the salsa, or lots of time.

I like spicy food, but I'm not the sort to approach it as some badge of honor or toughness. The spiciest I use for cooking with any regularity are birds eye chili's (thai) and my favorite hot sauces are usually ones that are some sort of habanero/carrot concoction. Habanero's are as spicy as I care to go and I personally think they have a lot of other enjoyable flavor qualities other than making my mouth burn.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I enjoy heat and spice. I don't enjoy pain while eating it. Spice is all relative, depending on how often you eat it, your natural tolerance, and other misc factors.

As mentioned, some places have hear scales. I enjoy Thai and Indian food, each have heat scales and each vary depending on restaurant. For example I know Indian restaurants that I can eat at a 5 scale, yet same dish at another place I can only do a 3.

I love a good kimchi. Stuffed jalapenos are fantastic too. I go up to a habanero while cooking, but even then it's all in prep and amount I'll put in dish.

Cooked or raw matters a lot too, as does seeded/veined or not. I mean, I'm not going to just bite into a Hab, but prepped (or exposed to heat) and they can be used for some interesting flavors in salsa, hot sauce, alcohol infusing, etc.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but there is 2 things I don't enjoy pain to be involved with.

Sex and food , 2 star kinda guy!

Another for Aleppo.
Fond of Thai. I know it's too hot when I crap it out 15 minutes after I eat it. Mrs sez that impossible, so I tell her "have a look". Is that what I just ate or what? :eek:

Latest posts