Methow opening?

BDD

Well, I can make things normal again real fast. Hypothetically speaking, if the Methow were to open to remove excess hatchery fish, would the most ethical fishing technique be:

a. Nymphing with an indicator
b. Nymphing without an indicator
c. Swinging with a floating line
d. Swinging with a sinktip
e. Centerpinning
f. Spoon Fishing
g. 2-Hander with a Dick Nite
h. The method that you are most skilled at
i. None of the above (write in your own method)
j. Any of the above

Buzzy

Well, I can make things normal again real fast. Hypothetically speaking, if the Methow were to open to remove excess hatchery fish, would the most ethical fishing technique be:

e. Centerpinning
f. Spoon Fishing
j. Any of the above
Ethical as in to minimize "take" on endangered wild fish, right? Unlikely it would be with bait as was (still is??) allowed on that big BC river up north. Other than that, being I'm not skilled in any of them, my preferred method is sinktip swing.

Buzzy

Seriously. Can we mount an internet flame brigade for all those who fish for summer runs after Jan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Put up a cedar post and tie me to it. If the Methow were open for harvest of hatchery steelhead, I'd cast a line for summer runs well past their prime. We have soooooo many options here in the INW

BDD

Buzz,

You are clever. However I purposely left a little ambiguity in my statement, in order to facilitate more thought on the subject. You see, I was hoping folks would consider whether it be more ethical to minimize their catch rate for the wild fish in the system or maximize their catch rate in perhaps harvesting the hatchery fish that are present, and deemed detrimental to the wild fish population.

Then Rob brings up the other philosophical debate as well; do you fish for hatchery fish, knowing they are well past their prime and risk accidentally killing a wild fish for the sake of harvesting a hatchery fish that is sub par on the table? What conundrum we'd face if it were actually open?

Buzzy

Buzz,

You are clever. However I purposely left a little ambiguity in my statement, in order to facilitate more thought on the subject. You see, I was hoping folks would consider whether it be more ethical to minimize their catch rate for the wild fish in the system or maximize their catch rate in perhaps harvesting the hatchery fish that are present, and deemed detrimental to the wild fish population.

Then Rob brings up the other philosophical debate as well; do you fish for hatchery fish, knowing they are well past their prime and risk accidentally killing a wild fish for the sake of harvesting a hatchery fish that is sub par on the table? What conundrum we'd face if it were actually open?
I'd follow you down that run by the lower vault.

I understand the conundrum (big word for me). Steelheading 101 according to Rob: plant less hatchery fish. You know, he might be on to something. When do you suppose anything upstream of, say the Klick, (in WA, not OR) would open for fishing if there were nothing but wild fish in the system. Miraculous recovery, healthy populations. Go ahead and swing for wild? In my lifetime? You're a lot younger than I am so maybe in yours but my spey rod (unless I travel) gathers dust.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Buzz,

it is a conundrum. the answer? plant less hatchery fish.

it is a conundrum. the answer? plant less hatchery fish.
I like the fishery when it's open. Then again I'm selfish and don't have access to all that many surface oriented summer fish. I also see the hypocrisy in an "emergency opening" for hatchery harvest. There's a sure fire way to not have an emergency. That's not planting them in the first place. Funny you don't see all those dot orgs picketing the place over there. Also funny how many guides with all the dot org stickers used to fish there. Oh well, they likely know better than I.

bennysbuddy

the sultan of swing

e. Centerpinning
f. Spoon Fishing
j. Any of the above
You left out side planing hotshots with a speyrod, awesome technique !

Latest posts