Is this wrong?

Rob Allen

The color of the reel and probably the line as well are totally wrong unless you're a millennial who has to make sure his equipment always shows up well in photos. But harling a fly is a long and respected tradition in loch fishing in Ireland, so I'm not sure how that would be wrong.

This reminds me of the time I was canoeing down the Sauk River and watching some friends drifting down in another raft. One friend was sitting on the forward raft tube hanging his fly line (with fly) downstream in the water. Not really fishing, not really doing anything other than keeping his fly in the water. Naturally the fly stopped drifting as a huge male steelhead, 25# if it was an ounce, leaped out of the water with that fly in its mouth. It was over almost as soon as it started, but it sure was an attention getter. So you might not have been wasting your time trying it, even if you didn't get bit.
I was gonna make that comment about the reel

Shad

I've wondered before whether a Folbe would hold a fly rod. Apparently, the answer is yes. Now, I'm wondering how hard it would be to get it to let go with a chinook pulling on it. My experience with Folbes is in saltwater, with long-handled gear rods, where I've found that the handle sticking out the back of the holder serves as a lever for applying pressure to both sides, which is what causes the holder to release. Without any handle in the back, it could be interesting. Have you had an opportunity to find out how it works yet? I really am curious....

Can you tell I don't think you did anything wrong? More lines in the water, no matter what lines they are, can only help on a slow day of steelheading, and who knows; you might just solve the puzzle.

SilverFly

I was gonna make that comment about the reel
OK, where's @Swimmy when you need him.

It's all about context. Again, this rod/reel combo was intended mostly for offshore and tropical saltwater fishing. However, apparently I needed a 10wt for river fishing as well because it's become my favorite rod.

Trust me, that color is bordering on "understated" in environments like this where it belongs...

20170709_202940.jpg

... and is practically camouflage against water like this...

HhbhVA8_d.jpg

I'll be sure to use appropriately dreary colors next time on the river. Good thing I didn't put on the wool scarf my wife gave me on the way out the door! :)

Last edited:

SilverFly

I've wondered before whether a Folbe would hold a fly rod. Apparently, the answer is yes. Now, I'm wondering how hard it would be to get it to let go with a chinook pulling on it. My experience with Folbes is in saltwater, with long-handled gear rods, where I've found that the handle sticking out the back of the holder serves as a lever for applying pressure to both sides, which is what causes the holder to release. Without any handle in the back, it could be interesting. Have you had an opportunity to find out how it works yet? I really am curious....

Can you tell I don't think you did anything wrong? More lines in the water, no matter what lines they are, can only help on a slow day of steelheading, and who knows; you might just solve the puzzle.
Hadn't seen Folbe holders before. Pretty slick. I had the same concern but didn't seem to be a problem lifting from the front by keeping the rod level.. I could see where it could possibly bind if angled sharply.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I love folbe's or at least the scotty knock off's. I only use them with the downriggers but I've had no problems. Maybe the Scotty's are better?

Go Sox,
cds

Salmo_g

I have Folbe rod holders and haven't had any problems. Install them oriented correctly, and pull straight up from both for and aft for a perfect release. Haven't used them for harling a fly however; just harling a cut plug herring.

Not a fan of Folbes here either. Give me simplicity any day. We use them some on the charter boats I work on, especially during halibut days so clients can set their bait to bounce on the bottom and let the rod sit in the holder. For such a simple thing it's pretty amazing how many people have trouble getting the rods out of the holder, and I've seen rods nearly go swimming in the process more times than I can count. Well made, and a cool design, but for fishing give me simplicity every time.

SilverFly

I just liked that the Folbes accepted a fly rod /reel. Can't say I wasn't concerned about losing the rod though. Something about the design doesn't give me warm fuzzies, but nothing a lanyard can't fix.

For the most part I see this harling stuff as an active technique, but having the option to put the rod in the holder, and still be fishing, is a good thing. Actually, I'm pretty stoked about trying this with spring and fall kings. Can't wait to hear comments from the gear crowd about "fairy wands" and such. Yeah, the sissy stuff like I use for tuna. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts