Shooting line - continue using rio connect core....or?

cms829

Hey all. New reel will be here Friday, and I've been thinking about trying a new shooting line forever. I currently use .032 Rio connect core. Basically a thin fly line. I am wondering if I could be casting better with a mono type.

Full disclosure - I have no problem stretching my line out on the truck hitch or mirror before I start fishing each time, but I reall dont want to have something thats going to create headaches and problems.

I use a 13 foot 7 weight spey with a 500 grain skagit typically. Still working on finding the right Scandi.

Seems like people are split with the OPST lazar. Some seem to love it and some downright hate it as they feel it goes to shit in a few days. What says ye?

I can't offer an opinion on the OPST Lazar, as I haven't tried it. Mono won't make you "cast better" but it will take the same cast you're already doing and give you more distance. I got a good deal on a shit load of Varivas Airs years ago and I've been using (and loving) it since then. I fished it today in 30-something degree weather and didn't have any problems handling it despite wearing some fleece gloves. Berkley Big Game is also fine (and cheap as hell), I'd probably be using that if I hadn't gotten a good deal on the the Varivas.

cms829

I actually picked up a spool of 40 lb lazar to try, as I found it for 16 bucks and had a $10 reward so ended up costing me $6. Lol. Otherwise I was going to just try the big game.

I’m not looking for better casts. Just maybe a bit more distance. I feel like my connectcore doesn’t shoot, it restricts.

I actually picked up a spool of 40 lb lazar to try, as I found it for 16 bucks and had a $10 reward so ended up costing me $6. Lol. Otherwise I was going to just try the big game.

I’m not looking for better casts. Just maybe a bit more distance. I feel like my connectcore doesn’t shoot, it restricts.
Ummmm... Where did ya find the Lazar for $16.00??? Can I order it online???

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
Running line will always be a matter of personal preference. That being said it depends on what is more important to you as an angler/caster. If distance is the goal a mono running line will always be on top.
My favorites are as follows:
30# Varivas: Shoots like nothing else is easy to hold in the hand, floats, has less memory
25# Laser Line: finer diameter, least amount of memory, shoots very well, super supple, little harder to hang on to in cold days
25# Berkley Big Game: Thinker easier to hang onto and super cheap

Coated:
I like Rio Power Flex the best the Orange (20# I think) its the only coated line I still use. It helps turn heads over and is easier on super cold days. I won't use a coated line when chasing super big fish (chinooks, Clearwater, Coastal streams) because of the weld breaking down over time because of the casting process. Being that as the rotation of the line during the cast is transferred to the point of nearest least resistance you often get line damage just below the welded loop.

There is a myriad of other lines out there that work just fine. I've played with a lot of them and these are what still hang on my reels and are in my bag. A person could do a masters thesis on the physical effects of running line and still be wrong in the eyes of the given angler. Just play around and find what feels good and benefits the situation you fish the most.

If I can be of further assistance hit me up and we'll chat.

All the best

Hatty

I just replaced a ruined coated running line. The twisting near the head-to-shooter loop to loop connection was the issue. A local fly shop makes and sells a Spey Swivel to join the two components. I am trying it now and like so far. No twisting, not much of an issue casting or stripping in if your rod tip is pointing at the line. I think it is swell. So far........ looking for a tussle with large fish to really test.

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
I just replaced a ruined coated running line. The twisting near the head-to-shooter loop to loop connection was the issue. A local fly shop makes and sells a Spey Swivel to join the two components. I am trying it now and like so far. No twisting, not much of an issue casting or stripping in if your rod tip is pointing at the line. I think it is swell. So far........ looking for a tussle with large fish to really test.
Hatty, Very good point. Josh Linn is credited for creating the "spey swivel" in part because of this problem. Also getting twists out of mono in the heat of the moment is a serious pain. He told the idea to Simon and Rio and they are worth the investment. Just take care when bringing into your guides. They Rio design can hinge a nit and get caught coming into the tip. As long as the fighting angle stays low you should be fine. This will especially help with big fish. Very good addition to this thread I'm glad you brought it up.

Cheers

cms829

Yea I've thought about those swivels but they are darn expensive and I can see them being a real issue in the guides.

Hopefully I really like this Lazar. Hope I did right by buying the 40 lb. I fish down in the low 20's sometimes. I'll get in the habit of stretching it in the morning every time and pray for the best!

So far the only issue I've had with twisting was in the salt casting for false albacore. It was twisted up nice.

longstick

Mono is all I use and if your looking for more distance in each cast. Mono
I also highly recommend only using mono in short Speys and Spey casting with Switch Rods because you limit yourself to a short fulcrum and generating line speed is less due to the length of the rod. So mono helps take off the parking brake and allows cast to get further with less energy.

the_grube

The water I hit is usually fairly technical, throwing a frozen rope out and down with one pull back mend rarely gets it done. Being able to hi-stick and mend is important to me. IMO, manytimes the case for using mono is in conflict with itself. Being able to caster further makes mending even more important, and mono for all it's blazing glory is miserable to mend.

So, in answer to your question. I'd say it depends where and how you like to fish. If you want to stay with a fly line style running line I'd take a look at Airflo's ridge series; see how it compares to the connect core. IMO, it shoots a bit better than the Rio CC.

cms829

Spooled up the Cascapedia with 40 lb Lazar yesterday. Did it by the book, but its still pretty coiled up. I'll stretch it really good before heading out this weekend. We'll see how this goes! It certainly is difficult to hold with my trigger finger tightly. May have to switch it to my thumb, or get some rubber tape as suggested on opst's video.

Rob Allen

My primary issue with running lines is tangles because i refuse to learn to manage stripped in running line for that reason I like the heaviest airflo PVC running line.. Any distance I lose i will make up by skill. Of course that is why i have moved back to a 55 foot head.. just easier to cast and fishes better

Last edited:

Latest posts