Shooting line - continue using rio connect core....or?

I use 30lb mono (Stren Catfish if you must know) just make a couple to three big loops the length of the rod usually and never have issues. Works with short or really long heads ;-) %%OxE1TuQs6lvLTy525wfQ.jpg

My preference these days is Stren Catfish mono - 30lb; amazing stuff with good knot ability, no kinking or twisting, seems very durable. Same diameter as 50lb lazar line, for practical purposes. Seems a bit more supple than slickshooter. I've never used Big Game so I can't compare it. @cms829 , you're right, the swivels are expensive. I bought one set, then made some of my own - they work great and made line twist a thing of the past for me.

Tinker

I'm new to this skill and would like to try a monofilament running line, and went looking for those mentioned by almostacatch, but when I searched for Varivas line I found so many types of Varivas I got a headache. When you're talking about Varivas, which flavor are you taking about?

the_grube

How do you guys mend with mono running line? I have one rig setup with mono, and other than the first pull-back, mending is pretty much a non-starter.

Maybe we fish different types of water, or I'm an 'overactive mender', or I'm doing it wrong. I tend throw a lot of bellies in my shooting line during the swing; towards the far bank to go slower and deeper and toward the near bank to speed things up (really effective IMO at the end of the swing to fish the edges). I can't do that with mono, it doesn't have enough mass to change the head, tip and fly's vector in the water column.

For me, the extra casting distance and the cost savings associated with mono is outweighed by it's downsides. What am I missing?

skyrise

So did fishing 101 change and I didn’t get the notice. When most of us where casting single hand sticks with sink tips or full floaters it was big time important to mend your casts. Every cast. Now it sounds like most of you guys just bomb it out there and let the river decide how it will fish ? I do a lot of upstream to full through fishing & mending. And a mono running line just won’t cut it for mending or control. And I absolutely Hate stretching and coiling fly lines. It’s why I am replacing my RIO sinking lake lines. Kinking and coiling drives me nuts. You get too many missed opportunities that way.
I have the Ridge running lines now and they seem ok. Do worry about that loop getting worn and braking.
So how much are those swivels ? Seems they would get caught in the guides too much.

cms829

Just fished for an hour quick to try it out. First thing, when it’s 32 degrees I need to get some of that tape. Hard to hold 40 lb and not have it slip and blow the cast with frozen fingers.

I don’t know about the above but i was able to mend it pretty good. (Speaking of opst lazar line). Don’t know about regular mono.

DKL

Nude to the board
If you are mending through out the swing, no matter the conditions, I think you are probably getting a pretty uneven presentation. I use amnesia and mend immediately after the cast. I then manipulate the rod position, most of the time by extending it out with my arm, to control the speed of the swing. At times when there is a major change in the water dynamics, or an obstruction, I'll do mid-swing mends, but that is pretty much it. All that being said, even though I use a mono running line, I'm not someone that can bomb casts.

cms829

Yea I dont mend too much unless there is a complex current.

So far I like the Lazar line. However, I need to get the hang of it. I had a lot of failed casts due to "slippage" Tired some splicing tape, but didnt make enough wraps so was still slipping at times.

I also have a question. I was using a Mow tip, 5 float/5 t11. Ive had no problems using this with the rio connect core shooting line. But felt like my casts were bunching up and hitting a wall. My casts were very inconsistent. Do the shooting line have any affect on the head/tip combo? Or do I just need to get the hang of this line?

the_grube

"Yea I dont mend too much unless there is a complex current. "

I guess that's my point. I rarely get to fish where there isn't a complex current. Mending with mono is like trying to throw a spey cast with too much running line past the tip -- all 'sound and fury, signifying (moving in this case) nothing'.

Also, I often want to change the direction of my fly. I fish a lot of sculpin patterns. Fish don't like to take them ass-first because of the horns. Mending during the swing can create a broadside presentation. That also creates a bigger profile with a relatively small fly in dirty water. My mends are pretty typical fly fishing mends, they pick up the shooting line and the back of the head (if it's not a sinking head) but don't immediately affect the fly presentation: i.e. I don't jerk the fly around in the water column with a mid-swing mend unless I really need to fix something.

Hope I don't come off obtuse. I guess it's just horses for courses; different strokes and all that. Maybe I need to take my mono shooting line setup out a few more times before I switch it out to fly line. I will say this, mono zings across the pond like crazy. Watching the head fly out as if it's unconnected to the rod is pretty cool; makes me grin to get that 'doink' when the cast wants more string. I'll have to give it another few tries.

Hatty

Spey swivels are 30$ for pack of 3. I do not notice swivel once it is inside the distal tip guide while reeling. And it is almost always outside the tip while casting, so I think it is totally worth 10 bones. No more twists and kinks on my running line.

the_grube

Yea I dont mend too much unless there is a complex current.

So far I like the Lazar line. However, I need to get the hang of it. I had a lot of failed casts due to "slippage" Tired some splicing tape, but didnt make enough wraps so was still slipping at times.

I also have a question. I was using a Mow tip, 5 float/5 t11. Ive had no problems using this with the rio connect core shooting line. But felt like my casts were bunching up and hitting a wall. My casts were very inconsistent. Do the shooting line have any affect on the head/tip combo? Or do I just need to get the hang of this line?
I can't see how the running line would ever effect your ability to cast other than increase overall distance. The physics of the cast are over before the running line comes into play

cms829

I can't see how the running line would ever effect your ability to cast other than increase overall distance. The physics of the cast are over before the running line comes into play
Thats what I am thinking....I honestly think I was getting a lot of slippage through the fingers. Didnt help it was like 28 degrees and windy. I cant fish with gloves, so my fingers were frozen. I also think had too heavy a tip on.

In regards to running lines here are my modest opinions.
PVC, its just fine especially if you can find it in .029. It tends to shoot well and is ok unless your talking freezing conditions then it really sucks. Also depending on the brand it can also be problematic in hot humid weather. The best stuff I have used in PVC is guidline LRL or the wolf running line. I tried Monic in hopes it might be better but it pretty much just did its best to tie a knot around itself especially in warm weather.

Im really hard on shooting lines. I can destroy a spool of Varivas 30lb in about 30 minutes. Not sure why? My friends have thoughts on this but I ignore them of course and just carry on and support the Morris line company to my best ability especially when it comes down to comp time.

If your a caster that makes casts in the 80ft range your likely to see benefits with thin .029 Pvc running line. Thinking guideline LRL or Wolf. Really good stuff in most conditions.

When it comes to mono running lines it has so much to do with personal preferences. I have reels spooled up with super cheap berkely big game thats lasted 5 years and counting. Also have reels spooled up with one of my favs Siglon F 40lb which is great stuff but not quite as durable but its semi floating and slightly easier to manage on long casts. For really long casts Varivas wins hands down even in its 47lb configuration it floats. I have experimented with the OPST stuff it doesnt float and I would rather just use berkely at that point its way more durable and way cheaper. Its the same high vis color. For the few that cast long lines while fishing heads in the 70ft range and depend on hitting casts in the 120ft to 160ft range you want floating mono like Varivas and even then on moving water your going to have to carry loops to be consistent on your casts. Why is that? Down stream flow, all that mono sucked down by the current has to pass through the first stripping guide before it goes out the tip of the rod. If you cant manage the line in loops and let it go in the current in front of you your going to maybe get a half cast if your lucky. You can make sinking mono work with long heads but you need to be able to create alot of line speed and to a certain degree the extra drag can create tension on the bottom leg of the loop and perform well. You will need to carry loops maybe 2 to 3 loops in a down stream flow. Not easy when your attempting to shoot 80 to 100ft of mono. When you do get a cast off carrying 100ft of mono its pretty insane and addicting.

cms829

Definitely getting the hang of the lazar line! Now just have to learn how to stack loops in my bottom hand and not let it drag in the current. I still haven’t totally figured that part out.

Seems the coils are coming out more and more as I fish it and stretch it too. So far I’m pleased. As was this little guy yesterday. First fish on the new Cascapedia too. 18628CAA-576A-4FC2-8194-764A223DAD2B.jpeg

Latest posts