Gas vs Electric Range Ovens

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
I secretly spent years taunting my electric range oven. I wanted it to die. My wife bought it 20 years ago when I was working out of town to replace the old electric one. I have quietly wished for it's demise since then.

I don't have access to natural gas. My only choice is propane or electric. Propane is expensive energy. I don't care. I spent five months last year in Alaska cooking with propane. Coming home to electric cooking was like spending months digging holes with a well tuned Cat Excavator and then being handed a shovel.

Ok, I'm done bitching. I know there are many electric range oven lovers out there. I want to know why, besides the obvious; cost of operation.

I find gas ovens deliver more even baking, especially gas-convection. If I put a sheet full of cookies in an electric oven, cookies on one area really need a couple more minutes than other areas. Gas delivers a more uniform outcome.

If I'm cooking a liquid on a burner and it takes off I can shut the heat down and it's down NOW! Electric often means a dance or scramble for an oven mitt before it boils over.

Trapper

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I hear you. No electric range love here, but it would be prohibitively expensive to run natural gas to the house & I don't have a good place for a propane tank, so . . . I cook outdoors a lot, lol.

Trapper

Jim. The nearest house with natural gas is well over 4 miles away. I don't see me getting it here in my lifetime.

Salmo_g

I would have had to use propane also if I wanted a gas stove when we built a few years ago. My wife and I just visited my sister's new home last weekend and saw that she had a gas stove. They are in a rural area with no natural gas option. She wanted a gas stove anyway, so she uses propane. I was surprised that she didn't use a gas water heater as well, but no, she didn't really care about that. But she damn sure was going to have a gas stove in the kitchen of her dream home, so she does. She's frugal, but decided cost didn't matter on this option. This gave me second thoughts, but my wife says she's OK with our electric stove. We agree that we like to glass top for easy cleaning instead of messing around burner elements like on traditional electric ranges.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Trapper I feel your pain. I've wanted a gas stove/oven for years. Same situation, would have to use propane. Which I don't care about except tank placement. I've cooked on enough gas and wood stoves over the years that I'd love one again in the house.

I've actually been tempted to plumb a gas line just so I can use two bulk propane tanks. I'm talking the 100# size that I could load and fill myself. One can dream, right?

racermo

We have a gas stove and oven, running on propane. The stove top is great, once you've cooked with gas you'll never go back. We're decidedly less impressed with the oven and have thought about getting a combo unit with a gas top and an electric oven. The real solution might be a convection gas oven - I hadn't thought about that. Other than the stove the only other gas consumer is a fireplace insert. Our tank is a 120 gallon size (water rating) and holds 100 gallons of propane when filled. We use it a lot - 2 to 3 meals a day. A tank lasts 11 months and our costs have run between 80 to 98 cents a day over the last few years.

Trapper

Trapper I feel your pain. I've wanted a gas stove/oven for years. Same situation, would have to use propane. Which I don't care about except tank placement. I've cooked on enough gas and wood stoves over the years that I'd love one again in the house.

I've actually been tempted to plumb a gas line just so I can use two bulk propane tanks. I'm talking the 100# size that I could load and fill myself. One can dream, right?
Jerry. I cooked with a propane range oven in Alaska for 5 months last year. We used 100# tanks. Even cooking heavy in a commercial application for 12-15 people I only went through 2 tanks in five months.

Here at my house I have a 500 gallon propane tank. It took a few hours to run the black pipe around the outside of my house to where the stove would set. The outside temperature was hovering in the single digits, but I was hell bent on getting my stove up and running.

After I got the jets changed and the stove leveled I took the two seasoned rib eyes out of the 133º Sous Vide and tossed them on the hot cast iron. Along with the spuds and steamed asparagus and a nice Oregon Red, I was finally happy with my stove.

After you cook with gas, wood, charcoal, electric doesn't work well.

My new stove has an oval 5th burner. Throw a seasoned griddle on it and it's a sourdough pancake machine.

Jerry. I cooked with a propane range oven in Alaska for 5 months last year. We used 100# tanks. Even cooking heavy in a commercial application for 12-15 people I only went through 2 tanks in five months.

Here at my house I have a 500 gallon propane tank. It took a few hours to run the black pipe around the outside of my house to where the stove would set. The outside temperature was hovering in the single digits, but I was hell bent on getting my stove up and running.

After I got the jets changed and the stove leveled I took the two seasoned rib eyes out of the 133º Sous Vide and tossed them on the hot cast iron. Along with the spuds and steamed asparagus and a nice Oregon Red, I was finally happy with my stove.

After you cook with gas, wood, charcoal, electric doesn't work well.

My new stove has an oval 5th burner. Throw a seasoned griddle on it and it's a sourdough pancake machine.

Trapper, what brand is your stove?

IveofIone

If you hate your glass top stove as much as I do try induction. It is as close to gas as you will ever get with electricity. Instant on, instant off and instant adjustments as needed. No waiting around for a burner to slowly warm your pan. I have both a fancy new electric convection range with a 5 burner cook top and and induction plate. I use the single burner induction plate for 95% of my cooking. It won't cook on aluminum but any surface that will hold a magnet will work.

The convection oven on the new range is totally underwhelming. I used to think I was a fairly good baker but have struggled to produce consistent results from this oven since day 1. As long as the electric range and oven has been around you would think they could do a hell of a lot better. I guess build them cheap and replace them often is the mantra.

So yeah, Trapper, I have an electric range out of necessity but there is no love for it.

Trapper

I use a Blue Star 36" natural gas range. Love it!
It’s a Frigadaire. I bought it at Lowes. In December it was listed at $1099. Earlier this month it went down to $999. Then Presidents sale brought it down to $699. Then they knocked $75 off with my Vet discount.

I couldn’t resist. I was like Smeagle with the ring.

5F710B1C-26C4-4B2B-801E-833784D01D0E.jpeg

Not a great photo, but at 0455 . . .

Latest posts