Gas vs Electric Range Ovens

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Jim. The nearest house with natural gas is well over 4 miles away. I don't see me getting it here in my lifetime.
Only 100 yards for me, but the gas company is damn proud of their excavation & pipe-laying ability . . . as is the City of Kennewick for asphalt replacement . . .

weiliwen

No expert here by any means, but I've had a couple of friends of mine who are chefs tell me that they prefer gas stovetops and electric ovens. Gas stovetops because they are easier and quicker to adjust, electric ovens because they can give a more consistent heat and the internal oxygen level is not affected by the type of heat, better for backing. That's what they say, anyway. Not exactly a scientific survey.

Here's my Bosch. When we got this house last year, first thing I did was remove the brand new electric range that was put in before we bought it. Installed a brand new Kenmore Elite gas range and it leaked gas from the moment we turned the gas line on. Not wanting to blow the house up, we called in Sears service and they gave us a 6wk timeframe to make it right. I promptly scheduled to have them pick it up.

Went to the locally owned appliance store here in Gresham and got me this fine piece of German engineering. The dual fuel Bosch range. It's our pride and joy. Since we're foodies and cook 6 nights a week, a nice range was a must. Couldn't be happier with this thing. If we move, I'm taking it with us.

Attachments

Just went through this. After 30 some years with an electric, I'm going to gas! Bought a GE Profile gas burner, gas convection. Install date is this coming Monday, they still have to snake in the gas line. Can hardly wait!

No expert here by any means, but I've had a couple of friends of mine who are chefs tell me that they prefer gas stovetops and electric ovens. Gas stovetops because they are easier and quicker to adjust, electric ovens because they can give a more consistent heat and the internal oxygen level is not affected by the type of heat, better for backing. That's what they say, anyway. Not exactly a scientific survey.
That's my combo. Gas, 5-burner cook top and a separate electric convection oven. It all works pretty well but that's fine looking oven you have there Trapper.

dld

I don't bake, but I have a Breville countertop oven that gets used way more often than my big oven...or the microwave, for that matter. Heats up quickly, has a great broiler, doesn't heat up the kitchen as much. Great tool.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I have an old farm house. The kitchen addition was built in very early 50s to original homestead. Still has the original Westinghouse oven they installed in that timeframe. It's oversized so can actually put 2 standard pans side by side per rack. Even has a rotisserie that still works. So not worried about oven. They put a stovetop in. The previous owners updated the stovetop, but hate it. So here's been my plan for awhile.

I bought an old wood cook stove from Bitterroot. I've been delayed restoring it thanks to the cost of rechroming. But may antique the chrome pieces and put back together. But what I had planned was to make oven either simple pan storage or an electric warming oven. But the cast iron deck I was thinking of converting to gas. Still up in the air, depends if I want to snake a gas line in. After hearing how long dual 100# tanks part, it may be an option.

dld

I have an old farm house. The kitchen addition was built in very early 50s to original homestead. Still has the original Westinghouse oven they installed in that timeframe. It's oversized so can actually put 2 standard pans side by side per rack. Even has a rotisserie that still works. So not worried about oven. They put a stovetop in. The previous owners updated the stovetop, but hate it. So here's been my plan for awhile.

I bought an old wood cook stove from Bitterroot. I've been delayed restoring it thanks to the cost of rechroming. But may antique the chrome pieces and put back together. But what I had planned was to make oven either simple pan storage or an electric warming oven. But the cast iron deck I was thinking of converting to gas. Still up in the air, depends if I want to snake a gas line in. After hearing how long dual 100# tanks part, it may be an option.
Just a suggestion, but you might look into the cost of doing electroless nickel instead of chrome. It won't be original, but I like the look better than chrome.

One of the costs associated with refinishing parts is the removal of the existing finish. If you can work out access to a bead-blaster and do the prep yourself, you should be able to save money.

Also, if you aren't in a hurry for the parts, you might be able to avoid a lot charge by letting them do the parts when they are slow, or have room in their tanks. I can give you names of a couple of companies I have experience with in the Mukilteo area.

As a final thought, there is a cool new product that is a brush-on chrome-look finish. There are YouTube videos, it looks much better than the spray chrome.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Just a suggestion, but you might look into the cost of doing electroless nickel instead of chrome. It won't be original, but I like the look better than chrome.

One of the costs associated with refinishing parts is the removal of the existing finish. If you can work out access to a bead-blaster and do the prep yourself, you should be able to save money.

Also, if you aren't in a hurry for the parts, you might be able to avoid a lot charge by letting them do the parts when they are slow, or have room in their tanks. I can give you names of a couple of companies I have experience with in the Mukilteo area.

As a final thought, there is a cool new product that is a brush-on chrome-look finish. There are YouTube videos, it looks much better than the spray chrome.
Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research. I used to restore cars, know about prep work and am able to do it. The reason for high cost is actually EPA related. I've looked into the nickel and have seen the at home rechroming. Still may go the antiquing route since all my hinges, handles, and faucets in kitchen are antiqued me . But oven is chrome. Funny thing, the stove I picked up is almost the same enamel color as oven. The research is what's been what's taking me most time. The guy who used to do chroming is out of business and sounds like most I knew in the day don't do it anymore. There was a shop that actually specializes in these stove components, but they're back logged because I guess one of the big companies that was doing it burned down.

I may hit you up for names. Still can't decide which route I'm going.

dld

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of research. I used to restore cars, know about prep work and am able to do it. The reason for high cost is actually EPA related. I've looked into the nickel and have seen the at home rechroming. Still may go the antiquing route since all my hinges, handles, and faucets in kitchen are antiqued me . But oven is chrome. Funny thing, the stove I picked up is almost the same enamel color as oven. The research is what's been what's taking me most time. The guy who used to do chroming is out of business and sounds like most I knew in the day don't do it anymore. There was a shop that actually specializes in these stove components, but they're back logged because I guess one of the big companies that was doing it burned down.

I may hit you up for names. Still can't decide which route I'm going.
So...basically I didn't give you any new information...I'm okay with that. :-P

Cool that you are well versed in the processes, good luck with the restoration.

Porter

Electric glass top sucks and might be the worst...... Just sayin.

BBQ a lot in spring and summer because cooking on glass sucks. Uneven spots. Can’t control heat well. Can’t quickly wipe small spills. Sucks!!!

Just waiting before we can install gas to Oven/burners. Some day soon. Have gas to House and use it for furnace heater and hot water tank.

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
Electric glass top sucks and might be the worst...... Just sayin.
I have a lot of cast iron including camp Dutch ovens (the ones with short legs). I couldn’t put them on the glass top, but the legs fit right down into the gas grates.

Latest posts