Float tube safety

Troutlife

Is it safe to use a float tube this time of year? I'm thinking about hitting Pass Lake, and I do have waders and a life jacket.

Troutlife

Also, are any of the other lakes on Fidalgo worth fishing? I'm staying up there for a few days and might want some variety.

Earl bentley

Is it safe to use a float tube this time of year? I'm thinking about hitting Pass Lake, and I do have waders and a life jacket.

I found 2 pair of waders 1 I'm sure will fit you the other is a bit bigger, I work in Bellevue and live in marysville, so you let me know when you would like to look at them or if you go to pass lake I could meet you there I fish there quite a bit.

Earl

up2nogood

Fished many times in a float tube at ice off, and its cold. Back then I used neoprene waders, not sure these newer breathable waders will be very warm, you better layer up .Feet can be a real issue.

Now days it a pontoon boat, with just the lower leg in the water, and at times it tough to just keep the feet warm. Good luck

Troutlife

I found 2 pair of waders 1 I'm sure will fit you the other is a bit bigger, I work in Bellevue and live in marysville, so you let me know when you would like to look at them or if you go to pass lake I could meet you there I fish there quite a bit.

Earl
I am going up to Fidalgo over the weekend and will be fishing at Pass Lake fairly often.

Earl bentley

There are alot of lakes around pass but I think they may have an opener not year around. Get some regs, or I believe jiminsandiego fishes up there alot you could ask him.

Last edited:

P-FITZ98

I've tubed as cold as 38 degree water , 5mm Wardel waders, long johns, and fleece sweats with good wool socks work for me. It's the fingers that take it hard, and freezing eyelets and lines.

Krusty

Outta Here
Neoprene chest waders...and definitely wear a waist belt along with your PFD. A farmer john wetsuit under that might be a good idea too.

Jiminsandiego

I started a conversation with Troutlife about some options in the area. I like to wear as much sockedge as possible and also use the disposable hand warmers on my feet. A whistle and/or a airhorn might be a good idea (along with a PDF). If I would hear either I would obviously investigate. A PDF serves two purposes. Even when your tube is still somewhat floating it is harder to kick it in to shore than just abandoning it wearing your PDF. And if you do drown, your body will be recovered much more quickly and easily without the need for divers or the wait required for your body to bloat and surface.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I've float tubed in 32-degree water . Neo waders, warm clothes, & bread bags between 2 layers of wool socks that form an effective vapor barrier which make a huge difference in comfortable hours on the water. Don't plan on walking very far in that arrangement however.

Place your tube in the water for a bit & expect to re-inflate same to bring it back up to pressure after the trapped air condenses.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I have tubed many times in this cold weather but it has been a decade...jamma and I have done Lake merril in March I think...and our "Ludicrous " Lake thing on New years Eve...neither one of us do the sheet any more...a bunch of other cold adventures...we did not get hypothermia...but I have been on numb feet...car heaters on full

Troutlife

I tried it out - not a problem, though I had no luck at Pass Lake. Do you have any idea why? (I tried streamers and nymphs, trolling and casting, and open water and along the shore. Not even a bite.)

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts