Skok...

Good to know.
My buddy has a pic of his pops holding a 20+ lb steelie he caught near the steel bridge.
That was his favorite place to fish. We always joked he as like a mountain goat the way he hiked down there.
SF

Any chance we might see that photo? He is a goat if he walks in there. I've contemplated walking out and didn't like the idea. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've found under that bridge. People are really inspired to throw bizarre stuff off there. One of the rarer finds, an international scout steering wheel polished mirror sick and shiny by the river. I could go on for days at the strange things I've found under bridges in gorges. The high bridge over the sitkum near forks takes the cake for most needles and gross garbage and quantity of garbage in general.

Cruik

No way should WA license buyers and taxpayers fund hatchery salmon that they do not have access to. The Tacoma Power funding would logically continue to produce mitigation fish.
I completely agree with your point, but just want to point out the devil's advocate argument: the hatchery Chinook destined for the Skok are targeted and intercepted by WA sport anglers in the Strait and in the Canal itself. To say there's no access to the fish, I think, is misleading. I don't know that the saltwater sport catch of Skok-bound hatchery kings are statistically relevant compared to commercial harvest (AK, Canada, etc.), tribal harvest, or even freshwater sport harvest. But, there is a popular and productive fishery between Ayock and Hoodsport.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I've always fished it for the coho...once the water gets up a bit, the snaggers can't walk upstream, and the fishing can be very good at times.
Wasn't too many years ago that 10-12 fish days were not uncommon, quality fish, quality float.
I hope it reopens.....

Last edited:
The Skok is a snag fishery for Chinook, but that is a different issue, an enforcement one. More significantly, the Skok produces large terminal area returns of hatchery Chinook, coho, and chum salmon paid for by WA taxpayers plus Tacoma Power pays a certain amount as partial mitigation for its Cushman dams. If the state and or the Tribe isn't going to allow non-treaty fishing in the lower Skok, then it should shut down the George Adams hatchery. No way should WA license buyers and taxpayers fund hatchery salmon that they do not have access to. The Tacoma Power funding would logically continue to produce mitigation fish.
I live on the canal not too far from the river. The Skok is a beautiful place. Most of wich I spent my summers trout fishing etc...... It got a bad rap because of the lower monkey fishery wich got out of hand.......wich is an enforcement problem. You could just see this closure coming for years. It was a mess. Its WDFW's fault.........and a poor set of rules.

Cramming literally hundreds of people in a small section from the lower bridge down, to pound on those poor fish in low water in August is a joke. I would never go there..... ...I would just drive over the bridge on my way to fish way up river for trout or some where else for cutthroat or something ....and just laugh at the mess. And that mess was magnified when the Hunters family farm started letting people in and charging to let them fish and access that area with no means to pick up trash and people shitting everywhere. That's an enforcement issue. Some of wich got solved....but then came the closure.

There are also a few spots up river one of wich I finally talked to the head of Mason county enforcement about...there was trash everywhere. Most of wich was from locals, crack heads, dumpers, burning late night fires, parties and just leaving their shit behind. I saw it for years and finally had enough and made several phone calls about it to DNR and WDFW. First they had to figure out who had jurisdiction and then go forward. then I was told by one officer that " yeah we go out there , I've seen it " .....and my first thought was why is it not cleaned up !!!??? why every time I go there especially in the summer is there new trash every single time, tire tracks in the river bed driving over tail outs where fish have spawned recently etc...... wich is ILLEGAL. Literally a dump. Makes Washington state look bad for people that come to this state for the summer or a visit, and in general it looks bad ...really bad. Its not a good look. One summer I went there a lot ...and NOT ONE trip did I ever run into and enforcement officer. Not once. And the clowns that ruin it for us all know that.

I am all for reopening the river , but there has to be a new set of sensible rules in place. Stiffer fines for breaking them. Actually write tickets for littering. I picked up 4 hefty bags of garbage of trash in less than 1 hour on one of my trips last year. An new set of sensible fishing regulations . I would be willing to pay more for a license each year if that meant more enforcement where needed. Hell tack on another $ 50 bucks to the freshwater license section , I'm fine with it if I see the results. Shutting down fisheries and every year cutting down our rights is not the solution. We need to get together with the skok tribe and move forward so we all can benefit and have a set of rules that we all can agree on. Having enforcement just show up for a few weeks to write tickets near the hatcheries , make a killing and then disappear is not going to fix anything.

Spread people out. You cant have hundreds of people is a small area. Don't close stretches. If its open..... open the whole thing. It spreads people out.

This river used to have quite the steelhead run. They also used to plant it with preety good numbers in the 80's, wich is why people probably caught more during that time frame, but I'm against any hatchery plants anymore . It is in trouble now and they are taking steps to get it going again. There's a newer much better well thought out steelhead program now for that river and others on the canal river system.

Critical times require creative thinking and people getting together and that includes the citizen fisher like ourselves. Stripping ouir rights away year after year is not going to solve anything.

Most of it is common sense quite frankly

I'm against being closed all year long starting at the end of OCT. It's sad. I'd like to be able to go to my local river instead of having to drive 4 hours or something to fish a few times a year . Burning fuel. Like maybe keep it open until Dec. That would be reasonable. Right now all the local rivers to me are closed. Not good.

Closing rivers just push more pressure on the few rivers that are still open and more people fish the salt now for cutties wich puts more pressure on them. Its all connected. It needs to be treated like its connected.

I'm a believer in Spread out the fishery. And get rid of those unattended gill nets !!!

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Any chance we might see that photo? He is a goat if he walks in there. I've contemplated walking out and didn't like the idea. You wouldn't believe the stuff I've found under that bridge. People are really inspired to throw bizarre stuff off there. One of the rarer finds, an international scout steering wheel polished mirror sick and shiny by the river. I could go on for days at the strange things I've found under bridges in gorges. The high bridge over the sitkum near forks takes the cake for most needles and gross garbage and quantity of garbage in general.
I’ll see if he can find it.
His pops was quite the guy. Unfortunately he died way too young of a brain aneurysm.

It seems they rescue several people a year that fall into the gorge there.
The last time I was up there some drunk teens drove off the road and into a tree.
SF

Buzzy

I moved from Klamath Falls, OR to Port Orchard in the summer of 1978. Fishing crazy. I didn't care if I was fishing "piling worms" for true cod, mushy herring for salmon or bouncing corkies for steelhead. My first steelhead was a pretty hen taken from the Skok (no CNR in those days). Does Vance Creek sound familiar?

Sorry to hear it has become such a mess.

@dustinchromers - hooked a baby stroller in the Okanagan below the SR-97 bridge - not quite sure how a major highway bridge becomes a dumping point.

Good to know.
My buddy has a pic of his pops holding a 20+ lb steelie he caught near the steel bridge.
That was his favorite place to fish. We always joked he as like a mountain goat the way he hiked down there.
SF
Some where around 2001 I went out fishing with an older gentleman who was a retired master chief that lived near Silverdale. I had met him at work . He was a customer who loved to fly fish . So I said lets go out some time wich we did........ I picked him up at his apartment and he was showing me some of his old photo albums, and in it he showed me this 20 lb. chrome hen from the lower skok . He told me he always caught fish there. It was never a problem. The photo was from early 80's. This guys photo spread was amazing. He hiked my normal river route with me that day in the summer with no problem at 72 years old. It was inspiring. I sure hope we can get our fishery back so I can have a local winter time experiences like that. Experiencing the outdoors fly fishing C & R in the winter is just as important as the summer.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I used to drop the boat in there, walk it down the creek to the south fork, then start fishing at the confluence....

Good times.

Still see a few summeruns in fall while fishing the Coho.

Last edited:

Cruik

The high bridge over the sitkum near forks takes the cake for most needles and gross garbage and quantity of garbage in general.
Pieces of my experience-puzzle are coming together now...

This last year I was spending a day or two in that area. I'm not sure what I was doing there. I'm not sure what YOU were doing there... :rolleyes:... But anyway, I was sleeping in my truck down a little old dead end pullout, per usual, feeling like I was in the middle of nowhere, when I was awoken by a knock on the window. It scared the living hell out of me. I rolled down the window... just a little... and a guy starts yammering at me. I was probably still halfway asleep, but I think he was checking to see if I was OK. I mumbled that I was and thanked him for checking. I think he asked if I needed anything. I mumbled "no." He walked back and got into his ~1980 rusted pickup. As he got inside, the indoor light turned on and I realized he had a buddy in the passenger seat. The truck tore away and I looked at my phone. It was 3:30am. What the hell was he doing driving down dead-end logging roads at 3:30am with a buddy?

I decided to get out of my sleeping bag and drove to a pullout on the main road where I at least couldn't be boxed in. There was traffic up and down that road all night. I wasn't bothered again, but what the hell? Not my best night of truck sleep.

Peyton00

This last year I was spending a day or two in that area. I'm not sure what I was doing there. I'm not sure what YOU were doing there... :rolleyes:... But anyway, I was sleeping in my truck down a little old dead end pullout, per usual, feeling like I was in the middle of nowhere, when I was awoken by a knock on the window. It scared the living hell out of me. I rolled down the window... just a little... and a guy starts yammering at me. I was probably still halfway asleep, but I think he was checking to see if I was OK. I mumbled that I was and thanked him for checking. I think he asked if I needed anything. I mumbled "no." He walked back and got into his ~1980 rusted pickup. As he got inside, the indoor light turned on and I realized he had a buddy in the passenger seat. The truck tore away and I looked at my phone. It was 3:30am. What the hell was he doing driving down dead-end logging roads at 3:30am with a buddy?

I decided to get out of my sleeping bag and drove to a pullout on the main road where I at least couldn't be boxed in. There was traffic up and down that road all night. I wasn't bothered again, but what the hell? Not my best night of truck sleep.
I want to fish with you.

I was just wondering if you needed anything.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

The Hills have Eyes or Children of the Corn....
SF

Latest posts