A few "synthetic" flies

P-FITZ98

This must really bother you to start not one but TWO of the same threads? Look at "dragon tails" in fly supply places. Same effing thing. Bottom line is , they are fishy as f--k in the water, and fish go after them. Barbie, eh, not so much, or that pony. Your daughter prolly wants her toys back.

P-FITZ98

Tell you what, Yard Sale, I'll tie one for you, just cause I'm a nice guy. Once summer comes, I'll hopefully send you pics of hog bass and pike or musky with one in its grill, just Pm me and I'll send you one to try. Take a walk on the wild side. What say ye????

My first double post! Weather is a bit rough in the gorge right now.

I looked at dragon tails per your recommendation. Kinda like calling something swim tails. These just look like a toy.

You seem to at least add them to a fly. The first post of them just had it strapped to a hook with a couple strands of chenille. That ain’t fly tying.

Tell you what, Yard Sale, I'll tie one for you, just cause I'm a nice guy. Once summer comes, I'll hopefully send you pics of hog bass and pike or musky with one in its grill, just Pm me and I'll send you one to try. Take a walk on the wild side. What say ye????
Once that thing gets wet wouldn’t it be easier to cast with a 10’ 8# baitcaster rig?

P-FITZ98

Well, I suppose. But isn't this about fly fishing?. I was so impressed with Rio outbound short line on an 8wt casting big stuff, I got some for a 10wt. Cannon. My bass buddies think I'm nuts, but..., I'm a fly fishing, tying fool. I can cast that big on my 8, the tail is just chenille. It's more wind resistance. Rabbit stuff is what gets heavy when wet

I hate to sound like Rob but at what point are you doing things on what the industry calls "Fly" just to make it sound better?

I really don't care how people fish or what they call it. But in a thread on a fly fishing board and a fly tying thread does this really seem to add something to the game?

toy.jpg

Sure looks like somebody just lashed something to a hook to me.

P-FITZ98

I dig what you're saying. That's why I take it to the next level. I have a cousin who is my teacher and mentor. He always taught me to do that, think outside the box, and think of what fish want, that's what you're trying to impress, not people. When the Fff made a Washington fly tying hall of fame, he was the inaugural inductee, so he's in a whole nother world with flies, and I was lucky to grow up with that.

Last edited:

Bimini15

Yard,

There is a point somewhere in there, but don’t get on Fitz’s case for finding in the toy section the same thing that others find at the flyshop. If anything, it is a creative way, and cheaper, to go about it.

I think what probably bothers you, and me, is the lack of craft in how some of these materials are used. I would probably be ok with that fly if it had a complex twist body and a dubbing head.

I have the same conflict with all fish masks, spines, pre-cut creature bodies or body parts, specially if they wiggle. I would rather make them myself out of something that I already have around the bench, or even in my daughter’s old toy bin. Then again, maybe that is why my flies do not look so polished.

Edit:
PS. Please don’t post that Barbie fly on the “On the vise” thread until the penises on the loose are gone... :D

Last edited:

Latest posts