A few "synthetic" flies

I got no issues with materials, but when you just buy some crap and lash it down to a hook its not fly tying? Fish it but it is really something to post in the fly tying thread?
So how many lashes or different materials are required before it is fly tying? I mean, egg yarn is pretty much exactly the same thing... San Juan Worms have been this thing for decades...

View attachment 163553

I believe you've created the enumclaw special...

Well shit, if I thought that would throw you into such a tizzy, I would have posted it up sooner...

Just until my next one....you might end up jumping off a cliff it something.

Personally, I think it's funny. Both my "fly" and the fact you you're apparently getting all worked up over it...actually that part is more of a "shake my head" type of thing.

It's actually pretty sad that you felt the need to start an entirely new thread devoted just to banging on a fly you don't like....

Sounds like you need to get out fishing or something...

Last edited:
Well shit, if I thought that would throw you into such a tizzy, I would have posted it up sooner...

Just until my next one....you might end up jumping off a cliff it something.

Personally, I think it's funny. Both my "fly" and the fact you you're apparently getting all worked up over it...actually that part is more of a "shake my head" type of thing.

It's actually pretty sad that you felt the need to start an entirely new thread devoted just to banging on a fly you don't like....

Sounds like you need to get out fishing or something...

Dude, get your shit straight. I didn't start a new thread about this. I started 3! :rolleyes:

I started a different thread since I was correctly called out for bringing drama to the whats in your vice thread.

Nothing personal, but the mop "flies" were bad enough. Now we get kids toys strapped to a hook. Next will be 14 different colors of said toy. I just think the fly tying thread should be about more than that. Musky/pike flies can be some of the prettiest flies out there.

Put another way, does gluing one of these to a hook count as fly tying? No thread? How about if you lay down some thread so the glue stick? If so do you really want to see it in a fly tying thread?

pom poms.jpg

And don't worry about me. I've been fishing several times a week lately, finding some fish, and more importantly spending lots of time with the family. I'm not mad, I just think you can do better.

actually, mine was all tied on...it's shit responses like yours that might make some folks reluctant to show what they're tying (not me) which is really against the entire point of why I started that thread in the first place. Personally, I think it's cool as shit to see what people are tying regardless of whether or not I would fish it. Man, Sawyer would have gotten hammered for his ultra simplistic pheasant tail nymph had he had the opportunity to post it on there.

Sorry, my bad. 3 threads?...that's beyond sad.

it still cracks me up that you're bent about that AND the mop...carry on.

But that’s my point. You didn’t tie anything. You strapped a toy to a hook. There is more skill in threading a plastic worm on a bass hook. I too like to see what people are tying in “your” thread. I just don’t see putting a pre-made object on a hook as tying. I guess we can just disagree on that.

And the three threads were just a triple post because it was snowing like crazy and the Internet sucks in the gorge. SAD!

Moving on now....

]
. I'm not mad, I just think you can do better.

I hope you can see the arrogance dripping from this statement. My God, get over it. Who appointed you king of all things fly tying? Why is lashing a strip of bunny to a hook any more worthy of posting than this other stuff?

You certainly dont need thread to attach a cone head and a strip of bunny. Super glue would be just fine.

You don't like it, don't comment. Nobody needs or wants your OPINIONS on what is or is not proper fly tying. JFC

I hope you can see the arrogance dripping from this statement. My God, get over it. Who appointed you king of all things fly tying? Why is lashing a strip of bunny to a hook any more worthy of posting than this other stuff?

You certainly dont need thread to attach a cone head and a strip of bunny. Super glue would be just fine.

You don't like it, don't comment. Nobody needs or wants your OPINIONS on what is or is not proper fly tying. JFC
I’m no great shakes at tying. Readily admit that.

Randall ties some really cool flies. His current stream of rabbit strip flies look fishy and I make sure to like them.

Is anybody posting a simple piece of rabbit on a hook? You keep saying that and I don’t see it. Maybe you are after my leaches. I’d like to think there is a little more going on there but I’d agree a simple piece of rabbit on a hook would catch plenty if not the same amount of fish.

Yer right, I shouldn’t comment and I’m done with it. I’ll just watch this thread devolve into Pom poms, cleaning tools, and toys on a hook.

I tend to agree that mop flies are shit. and that some of these "new trends" are really not awesome. what happened to having pride in mastering more traditional and complex techniques!

when did lazy / cheap become the new fad in fly tying?

and, i go a set beyond rabbit lashed to the hook. I dub the body (sometimes even in a loop)!

and no, you cant have my leeches. they fish sooo well!

Latest posts