Newbie to Washington/Olympia

Good morning,
Just moved to Lacey from the deep south and wanted to introduce myself. I am Graham aka fenceguy. We had a very similar forum in Georgia in which I met some wonderful friends and garnered a wealth of information from. My First impression is this place seems similar.
I am a complete newbie to fishing for salmon,steelhead, src and look forward to learning.
Done lots of freshwater trout fishing and warm saltwater fishing from redfish to blue marlin.
I plan on fishing both fly and conventional, both river and ocean, bank beach and boat. In other words I have an infinite amount to learn in a finite time.
Look forward to start posting and getting to know yall.
Best regards
Fence

Welcome. I live on Vancouver Island and IMO this is one of the best salt-water flyfishing forums around (in both Countries). Some pretty amazing fly fishers on this site. Lots of great information.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the area. There is a fly shop in Lacey (The Fly Fisher) and one a little ways up the road in Tacoma (Puget Sound Fly Co.). If you are interested joining a fly fishing club, there is one in the Olympia area (South Sound Fly Fishers) and you have a couple in the Tacoma area (Puget Sound Fly Fishers, Alpine Fly Fishers).
Olympia has some good marine access from shore, many lakes in the area, and a few rivers to wet a line in be it fly or conventional.

The Fly Fisher shop on Pacific Ave. in Lacey is very knowledgeable in all things fly fishing in Oly ..I live in Oly. So PM me and let me know how I can help..

bhilton

Welcome! I know I’ve learned a ton in the last little bit that I’ve been on this forum. This is my first year fly fishing the salt and I don’t know why I wasn’t doing it all along. For me, streams and rivers seemed like the places you fly fished and the salt is where you dangled bait from a boat. Then I discovered cutthroat and coho and I am learning to read water instead of seeing that great grey intimidating abyss that the sound seemed like at first. You live in a great spot for a wide variety of fishing all year round. Have fun!

SilverFly

Done lots of freshwater trout fishing and warm saltwater fishing from redfish to blue marlin.
I plan on fishing both fly and conventional, both river and ocean, bank beach and boat. In other words I have an infinite amount to learn in a finite time.
Welcome Graham. We can use more salty east coast guys here who won't think twice about taking a fly rod offshore. We might not have the variety of pelagics here in the PNW that you are used to, but when the albacore fishing is good, it's unbelievably good. Nice boat in your avatar!

Last edited:

Dipnet

The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
Yeah, welcome to the PNW Graham! You're living in a prime location for some great saltwater fishing. You're right in the south Sound which boasts some excellent resident coho and SRC fishing. You're also not far from Hood Canal. Be sure to use the search function to find info on technique and intended areas and fish. Most folks on here will also gladly answer questions via a PM so don't be afraid to reach out!

Latest posts