Ever wondered how peacock hurl is....

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
People have been breeding peacocks for a very long time so its hard to say which types have more bronze. Bronze peacock is occasionally available from some of the specialty breeders and retailers of tying materials.

I have heard many times that if you leave it in the sun the green will turn bronze but I've done just that and it has never turned from green to bronze.

Peacock feather colors are the result of refracted light not pigment so the change would have to be the result of a physical change of the microscopic scale structure on the surface of the feathers.

TC

FinLuver

I have heard many times that if you leave it in the sun the green will turn bronze but I've done just that and it has never turned from green to bronze.
Had a nice and green eyed feather that I had received from a friend. Hung it on a wall...took about 6 years, but it finally turned a nice bronze color, with indirect sunlight.

GAT

Dumbfounded
A local fly club member raised peacocks so some of us had access to feathers he'd find around his farm. They were much larger with much longer herl that the feathers you can buy as tying material.

Sometimes you can find longer, fuller peacock feathers at craft stores... I always keep an eye open for them because my supply of "natural" peacock feathers is about exhausted.

Cold

People have been breeding peacocks for a very long time so its hard to say which types have more bronze. Bronze peacock is occasionally available from some of the specialty breeders and retailers of tying materials.

Peacock feather colors are the result of refracted light not pigment so the change would have to be the result of a physical change of the microscopic scale structure on the surface of the feathers.

TC
Well if that's the case, then exposure must indeed precipitate those changes, because it happened to some "homegrown" peacock that I got from a friend.

It's a very gradual process...and so slow that I didn't even notice it was happening until I compared it to my cheap strung stuff that lives in a drawer...but indeed, the herl that was a vibrant green when I got it from my friend was now a very dark brown...that has "bronzed up" since then.

At first i was quite upset, as I loved the green...but doing some research indicated that the bronze was often highly sought after as well, and wasn't a sign of problematic degradation, as I'd feared.

Latest posts