Hoping it warms up some more by the end of next month

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Lets see, today the sea-surface temp here was 46 F and the air is in the low 40's. Bottom fishing opens up on Mar 10, but its still too cold for me to don a 3mm farmer john wetsuit with extra layers, and go kayak fishing here along the Jetties. I like everything to be above 50 F, preferably mid-50s, but I may venture forth in my Tarpon on calmer days, despite sub-52 degree water, with the determination to absolutely avoid capsizing. That's not hard. I just don't look forward to frozen toes. And that's with 6mm booties. I'm thinking of slipping some toe warmers inside my booties. There's not much extra room, since they fit right without anything in the toe space. I'll probably just wait. With temps above 52 or so, my toes don't seem to get frozen.
Another reason I like to wait until everything warms up a bit more is that I believe that the fish are more active then.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I suppose that I should look around for a good used 9 wt. I'd be using it from my SOT Kayak here, for Lings, mainly. I think my old TFO 8 wt might be a tad wimpy for any larger Lings, but I'll be fly fishing some zones near the Jetty in shallower water where there's a lot of smaller 18" to sub-30" fish hanging out where its only 15' deep at low tide.
Dang...I just let loose some free intel. :eek:I'd better not say anything else!

RichieRich

I suppose that I should look around for a good used 9 wt. I'd be using it from my SOT Kayak here, for Lings, mainly. I think my old TFO 8 wt might be a tad wimpy for any larger Lings, but I'll be fly fishing some zones near the Jetty in shallower water where there's a lot of smaller 18" to sub-30" fish hanging out where its only 15' deep at low tide.
Dang...I just let loose some free intel. :eek:I'd better not say anything else!
thanks for the intel, Jim........that is good motivation.....Lingcod on the fly,...SWEET!!!!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
thanks for the intel, Jim........that is good motivation.....Lingcod on the fly,...SWEET!!!!
Actually, I've just recently started seriously thinking about gearing up to go after 'em seriously with flies. Seriously.

Do a search on this forum, and you will find some awesome threads with photos, posted by the hotshot Ling fly guys on this forum who live and fish up in the Salish Sea environs.
I've fly fished for Black Rockfish, but never targeted the Lings with a fly rod. I have had good success using bait, jigs and/or swim baits for Lings. Now that I know where i can find 'em in relatively shallow water, I'm going to give it a go.
Its not rocket science: you need to fish where there are Lings. They are always hungry and will hit on practically anything that gets near their face. All you have to do is find them and then present something that they can see. Work your presentation deep and slow, but don't get hung up on the bottom. A big white fly about 6"long will attract their attention.
I've got some white flashy stuff that I'm gonna lash to some big hooks. The results will be ugly.

Last edited:

Latest posts