Montague Bamboo

Skip Enge

Staff member
rhymes don't it?
I wondered if any of you collectors have run across the thread wrapping style this on I found has? it is decoratively wrapped all the way up the rod...Upon cleaning it up I noticed it and managed not to disturb it... My research found it was from a hardware store catalog from 1919ish. I want to fashion a tube for it and restore the notched fabric covered cylinder it nests in... I have a source for timber bamboo that i am going to make the rod tube out of...Should be fun.Oh and would like to find a snake guide...old one to replace one missing one. Thanks!
boo rod 1.jpg
Boo rod 3.jpg
Boo rod 3.jpg

Skip Enge

Staff member
It might be solid wood...Ha! I looked again...initially I made a guess...Thanks for pointing that out...I don't know...Hmmmm? not sure what that means? I searched found nada?

Last edited:

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
That's a pretty cool old rod that you have there. Are you hoping to get it fishable, or just presentable for display? It will be a challenge to replace a guide on that rod, since you'll also have to try to match the wraps and finish.

Skip Enge

Staff member
If you know anything about wood rods let me know...
Have not used it yet...polished
That's a pretty cool old rod that you have there. Are you hoping to get it fishable, or just presentable for display? It will be a challenge to replace a guide on that rod, since you'll also have to try to match the wraps and finish.
I know...the snake guides are blackened...the thread color is aged...I might given my restoration schtick...die the thread to match...I dunno...I intend to fish with it a bit...and I just don't know what it is made of...or for sure it's age...assumed and looked...and it seemed logical it was a montague...but the absense of facetting has me a bit confused...the nesting cylinder alludes to era methods...but not sure if I want to chase all that sheet down...

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
What little I know is about more blue collar bamboo rods, not nearly as old as yours there. There are some other guys who really know their stuff here. The other place to ask is at the classic fly rod forum. They have a forum for appraisal and identification, and can probably help with thoughts on restoration as well.

Skip, like what Tim said....maybe hardwood being round. Maybe greenheart or lance wood? Lots of intermediate wraps....wow. Which snake is missing? Any idea of the size? I have a lot of old guides from old bamboo stuff, maybe something close?

jamma

I too am curious about the thread wrapped finish.Some friends of mine presented me with an old Japanese bamboo rod that is faceted but is wrapped in close,but not touching,turns from the butt to the tip.I have always wondered if the facets were not glued,but held together with thread and varnish.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
There were some early days bamboo rods that were glued up and then turned round. I cast a round 11' Kosmic round bamboo salmon rod a few years ago. It was a beast but it sure could handle a lot of line.

TC

Skip Enge

Staff member
Yeah it's a weird very old one...I am missing the first snake guide about a foot from the tip...on the second tip...I have a complete one...it is a 4 piece...I have two tips...I really amped up the contrast so you could see...this is the complete tip and shows the wraps and the type of snake guide.
snake guide.jpg

Latest posts