Montague Bamboo

Skip Enge

Staff member
I paid $20 at a swap meet...I don't know what i have...never owned a wood rod...nor do i know anything about them...their prevalence dating you name it. I am curious . and posted this thread in an attempt to find out more...Value? hell i don't care...guessing it was worth 20 bucks...i intend to use it as someone or more did for a long time. I think it's cool though!

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
It doesn't matter at all. Its still cool, especially if its wood. I asked because that is how you titled this thread and you indicated you had done some research so I took that to mean your research lead you to believe it was a Monty.

TC

Lot of space between the guides....how many total? I've found that some of these rods with minimal guides were shitty casters with plastic lines...I turned mine into Hotrodz or don't fish with them. If you really want a decent bamboo fishing stick, get another inexpensive deal, add more guides and have two rods! Just my .02 Skip.

Skip Enge

Staff member
Lot of space between the guides....how many total? I've found that some of these rods with minimal guides were shitty casters with plastic lines...I turned mine into Hotrodz or don't fish with them. If you really want a decent bamboo fishing stick, get another inexpensive deal, add more guides and have two rods! Just my .02 Skip.
I am not looking for a "decent" boo rod...I have 3 others...this one just intrigued me...in every way it looked like a Monty from researching and using the only sites with Boo afficianados...though they were guessing...I found a calelog PDF for a Hardware store in 1919 with drawing images and descriptions of the list of rods...one sounded like this one...including the store dowel...I am approach this as trying to maintain the integrity of the rod and use it a bit...for bluegill or something just for the hell of it. Never seen a lacewood fly rod before..if that is what it is made of nor had I ever seen the thread wrapping extend the for length of a rod before...If i have a void in knowledge there is a good reason for that...I don't collect...I just find...

SilverFly

I want to fashion a tube for it and restore the notched fabric covered cylinder it nests in... I have a source for timber bamboo that i am going to make the rod tube out of.. View attachment 163801 View attachment 163802 View attachment 163802
Montague sounds fancy. Like the rod tube needs to be covered in "Corinthian leather" fancy (I know you're old enough to get that reference ;) ). All kidding aside, it's an interesting old rod. I'm not a collector but always wonder about the history behind, and stories hidden in antique gear. Lemme know if you get around to testing it in one of our local bluegill spots and I'll join you.

Skip Enge

Staff member
Montague sounds fancy. Like the rod tube needs to be covered in "Corinthian leather" fancy (I know you're old enough to get that reference ;) ). All kidding aside, it's an interesting old rod. I'm not a collector but always wonder about the history behind, and stories hidden in antique gear. Lemme know if you get around to testing it in one of our local bluegill spots and I'll join you.
"The Montague Rod Company was the largest volume producer of split bamboo rods from shortly after 1900 when they purchased the Chubb Rod Company and merged the two operations in Montague City, Massachusetts, until they closed down operations in 1955."

Skip Enge

Staff member
"The Montague Rod Company was the largest volume producer of split bamboo rods from shortly after 1900 when they purchased the Chubb Rod Company and merged the two operations in Montague City, Massachusetts, until they closed down operations in 1955."
A generic maker that made rods to be labeled with the client sellers company name or just unnamed ...I forget the bunch of hardware stores that sold them in their catalogues. Sort of unmarked boo rods...

Skip Enge

Staff member
came here this morning, I see a N/A and a move of this thread categorically...I am just trying to dredge up any info anyone might have , who to ask where to look...etc...Thanks!

Skip Enge

Staff member
Why the N/A?Do you want me to delete the post ? is it because I thought it might be something and was wrong? Don't get it.

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
I think they just moved it to the bamboo/glass sub. I wouldn’t worry about it. I would try the classic fly rod forum too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts