NFR Weird question about noise cancelling headphones...

thought I'd throw this out there....weird question (well, perhaps not so weird), anyone ever used noise 'reducing' headphones for kids at a loud concert? as in, something where they can still hear the music, but won't cause permanent hearing damage like it may have for their dad.

Asking for a friend...

dld

There are earplugs made for hearing concerts, while reducing noise substantially. They are not as expressive as any good noise cancelling headphones, are supposed to be sonically superior to noise cancelling headphones, and much less obtrusive.

dld

Great thought. I have pretty dang good hearing, virtue of not going to a lot of loud concerts, and despite working construction.

Hearing damage is nothing to play around with, it is cumulative and permanent.

By-the-by, when asked whether she would rather be able to see, or be able to hear (one, not both), Helen Keller answered, without hesitation, she would rather hear. She said that not being able to hear caused feelings of isolation.

honestly, I don't know that I have all that much damage....especially considering how many concerts I've been to. I'm not overly concerned with how large the over-ear headphones are as my (he'll be 8 then) kiddo won't really care either...hearing safety for him is my primary concern. I just want something where he can hear the music without too much of the overall sound being taken away.

sroffe

Foam ear plugs would probably work OK. On the other hand, check out Guitar Center. They have some ear plugs made for musicians called Earasers. Probably work much better than foam ear inserts...

When my son was about six or seven, he would complain about loud noises at movie theaters. I had just bought the Peltor Optime 105 earmuffs or doing some shop work. He grabbed them one day and never gave them back. He stopped wearing them when he was about 11 years for movies, but still uses them for cutting grass. Amazon has them for $19.00: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Earmuff-Protectors-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00009LI4K

Good luck.

On the other hand, check out Guitar Center. They have some ear plugs made for musicians called Earasers. Probably work much better than foam ear inserts...
good call on Guitar Center...I just happened to be on their website checking some of those out. I'll make a trip down there some time between now and Dec 5 (I suppose I DO have a little bit of time....ha!)

Big Rob

Etymotic ER-20xs's
My son (14) and I attend many concerts, mostly in small venues where we are quite close to the stacks.
These come with smaller tips to fit smaller ear canals. We each have a pair. Highly recommend.
Guitar Center carries these.

Latest posts