Sorta FR: Slave to Tech?

T

Trapper

Several things crashed recently in my head.

1. Last summer I worked at a lodge in Alaska. From the windows I saw bears, wolves, eagles, caribou, etc. People ate like Kings and were daily flown out to catch 100 salmon, grayling, trout, or char a day.

Know what they talked about most?

Lack of broadband.

2. I recently watched a Docudrama about Ted Kaczynski. If you ever read his manifesto you’d quicky realize the guy was A. A classic narcissist. B. Totally bonkers. C. A genius who was warning us how we were slaves to our technology.

3. I was standing in line at an auto parts store with my purchases. The cashier scanned my first item when the phone rang. He picked up the phone and then started looking through some parts inventory on the computer.

I put my credit card back in my wallet and headed for the door. He yelled, “Hey, bud, you didn’t finish paying.”

I turned around and walked back to him. “I’m a little new at this customer service thing, so explain it to me. I drove 27 miles one way to get here. I’ve got items on the counter and my credit card in hand. The phone rings. The guy on the other end, who you don’t know for sure will come here to buy what he’s asking about, is suddenly more important than me. Why? If some other guy was here and started throwing elbows to get ahead of me, you’d tell him to be patient and you’d get to him. But you don’t do that to the guy that calls. Again WHY?”

He looked at me, but said nothing. I walked out.

I like my smart phone. It’s a very useful tool. But when I see people needing to post every bowl movement and cat video on Facebook I wonder who owns who. When I’m behind someone at a stoplight in my truck, and it’s 4 AM with not another car in sight and they wait obediently for permission from the tech and not proceed through the intersection until the tech tells them to, I again wonder; who owns who?

Big Rob

You're not the only one who feels this way. We have a cut-off time at our house, unless its homework related....

Riverside - #Addicted

[Verse 1] I feel I have to share What I do Or where I am There’s an urge within I can’t ignore Hashtag me and go I’m addicted to your love I’m addicted to my aimless drive There’s a mask upon my face I can’t live without So you won’t recognize me When I am in the crowd I lost my calmness in the world Where everything is searchable [Chorus] Dreaming inside out Feeling inside out [Verse 2] I don’t have my place I’m in here and everywhere Just another day in hd frame So hashtag me and go Cause I’m addicted to your love I’m afraid You’re the only friend I’ve got There’s a mask upon my face I can’t live without So you won’t recognize me When I am in the crowd I lost my calmness in the world Where everything is searchable [Chorus] Dreaming inside out Feeling inside out Dreaming inside out Feeling inside out

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I have a “No Tech At the Table” mandate.
I have a dumb phone. And I don't text. To stupid. I hooked up with my long lost daughter this winter. I haven't seen her in over 30 years. She sent me a text and I didn't know where to go on my dumb phone to find it. I did tell her that I will see her when the snow melts and doesn't cause anymore problems. Probably in April or May.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
It's easy to criticize...personal affirmations aside for all the gadgetry...we all have preferences. We connect to media in our own preferred ways. Some are all aflutter about all the new stuff coming at us at an ever phrenetic rate. Others want the world to slow down a bit and choose to not be connected 24 -7...My only complaint today is when in the hell did numbers on buildings or street signs become so passe'? ;) . BTW No, I don't know what key strokes to use to put the accent over the e.

MT_Flyfisher

;) . BTW No, I don't know what key strokes to use to put the accent over the e.
If you’re trying to say that a lot of the things we see people using smart phones for these days is just a lot of éffluent, you can just say it without the é, or the è, or even even the ê.

Just say “effluent” and I think we’ll know what you mean.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
If you’re trying to say that a lot of the things we see people using smart phones for these days is just a lot of éffluent, you can just say it without the é, or the è, or even even the ê.

Just say “effluent” and I think we’ll know what you mean.
Why don't you not assume ill will in the unstated?...and take it for what it was meant to be...tongue in cheek humor.

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
Trapper, I get the distinct impression that the long Montana winter gives you a lot of time to contemplate and ponder a lot. Kaczynski was a genius whose social skills were more than just lacking. As for the auto parts store, a lot of places have a policy to attend first to the phone to gain a potential customer, assuming that the one in the store at the counter, like you were, won't leave without completing your purchase. If enough of us vote with our wallets, store managers will change their policy.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
No phone booths if i get lost...no numbers on buildings...mapquest sometimes sucks. there might be something to this GeePeeEss thing afterall...I just don't want that weird voice talking to me while I'm driving...Oh wait! that is a D.W.E. ticket. Dang!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
Several things crashed recently in my head.

1. Last summer I worked at a lodge in Alaska. From the windows I saw bears, wolves, eagles, caribou, etc. People ate like Kings and were daily flown out to catch 100 salmon, grayling, trout, or char a day.

Know what they talked about most?

Lack of broadband.

2. I recently watched a Docudrama about Ted Kaczynski. If you ever read his manifesto you’d quicky realize the guy was A. A classic narcissist. B. Totally bonkers. C. A genius who was warning us how we were slaves to our technology.

3. I was standing in line at an auto parts store with my purchases. The cashier scanned my first item when the phone rang. He picked up the phone and then started looking through some parts inventory on the computer.

I put my credit card back in my wallet and headed for the door. He yelled, “Hey, bud, you didn’t finish paying.”

I turned around and walked back to him. “I’m a little new at this customer service thing, so explain it to me. I drove 27 miles one way to get here. I’ve got items on the counter and my credit card in hand. The phone rings. The guy on the other end, who you don’t know for sure will come here to buy what he’s asking about, is suddenly more important than me. Why? If some other guy was here and started throwing elbows to get ahead of me, you’d tell him to be patient and you’d get to him. But you don’t do that to the guy that calls. Again WHY?”

He looked at me, but said nothing. I walked out.

I like my smart phone. It’s a very useful tool. But when I see people needing to post every bowl movement and cat video on Facebook I wonder who owns who. When I’m behind someone at a stoplight in my truck, and it’s 4 AM with not another car in sight and they wait obediently for permission from the tech and not proceed through the intersection until the tech tells them to, I again wonder; who owns who?
Was this in Butte?
I don't run or own a brick and mortar store. But I can tell you that those who do are losing out to internet sales every day. I say this to point out that every call is important to the store owner as is the customer in front of him. If, he had those lost sales the internet claims from him, maybe he could hire someone to answer the phone and help out at the counter. The guy's in a tough spot...

...and isn't driving 27 miles one way in Montana just a lil jaunt.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts