Favorite Winter Cutthroat Patterns

Howdy Sea-Run Cutthroat Fly tyers and Fly Fishermen,
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this but I thought I would give it a try.
I am teaching a class on Sea-Run Cutthroat Winter patterns and how to fish them at Peninsula Outfitters Fly Shop In Poulsbo, Wa. This Saturday March 3, from 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
We will be tying 5 of my current favorite winter patterns. All materials to tie these patterns will be supplied. Tiers must bring a variety of 8/0 threads, vice, and tying tools.
There are 2 seats left to fill the class.
You can reach the shop at 360-394-1599
Jeffrey Delia

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Have you fished any of them when there were fish around?
This is important. I have had good luck with your conehead squid pattern when there were some fish around. This was from beaches in the rain shadow zone between Sequim and PT. When I didn't experience good luck with that fly in the same locations where I had good luck previously, I also did not experience good luck with other patterns that I tried. So I assumed that there weren't any fish around, and that they must be foraging somewhere else.
Those blank-out days make the good days seem so much better, so I guess we must endure a few now and then.

I hear you! I write about the intimacies of our cutthroat fishing adventures weekly on my Facebook page. If you do Facebook, you might want to friend me and check out my ramblings . Eventually these stories will be transferred to my new website in a chronological archive but I have just begun this digital project and not really getting it yet, so in the meantime I continue to post Cutthroat fishing stories on my Facebook page.

Thanks for the kind words. My Cone-Head Squid has saved my bacon many days and I still tie one on when other patterns aren't producing. Like an old crazy California friend often said "the angle of the dangle is equal to the Gastropod Dorsi"?
Chum Fry time in Puget Sound . Anybody seeing them ? Not showing so far in my neck of the Sound

holtad

Thanks for the kind words. My Cone-Head Squid has saved my bacon many days and I still tie one on when other patterns aren't producing. Like an old crazy California friend often said "the angle of the dangle is equal to the Gastropod Dorsi"?
Chum Fry time in Puget Sound . Anybody seeing them ? Not showing so far in my neck of the Sound
The cone head squid is a go-to pattern of mine in the winter for sure. Seems to produce sub-surface or top-watter if tied with a foam head:) I like the look of your big-fish-fly too! Is that to mimic a pile-worm?

Yes, I know a lot of tiers who fish the squid top water and have good results. I've always believed my big fish fly imitated the rock weed isopod as well as some of our Puget Sound sand worms.

Latest posts