Lenice/Nunnally on Saturday

Salmo_g

DP, retrievers are about the easiest dog breeds to train. How is it that you have a 1 1/2 year old untrained golden retriever? I've had two goldens and am curious.

dp

~El Pescador
he just thinks he needs to greet everyone with a loud bark as he is so excited. he is still a dog-in-training. one thing I have not been good with - is interaction with other dogs. given that he is mostly an inhouse dog, he does not get a lot of interaction with other dogs. Porter is more of a family dog than a fishing/hunting dog - by choice,
I have only taken him fishing with me once to Rocky Ford earlier this year and he did pretty good.
so the more i get him out, the easier it should be - right?

Salmo_g

so the more i get him out, the easier it should be - right?
No. The more you train him the easier it gets. 10 to 15 minutes of daily "school" (training time) will make most retrievers perfectly behaved dogs. Observers who don't have experience training dogs (which is most people, including most dog owners) will think both you and your dog are geniuses because most dogs in the world aren't trained worth shit.

Ron Olsen

Hi dp
I have had labs my whole life, and do recommend a shock collar for training. I am a very active hunter and the tight training is safety oriented as well as obedience. Works for barking too. Current dog Kali is now 6 and a joy to be with. Just put the collar on and she is all attentive business. Haven't hit the button for some tome, the churp is always enough.
BTW, anyone interested in duck feathers LMK. I get mallard, pintail, gadwall, teal, woody, shoveler, and widgeon.
Good luck on finding a boat launch at Nunnally. I gave up a few years ago and just use a fat cat. Ron

dp

~El Pescador
thanks for the dog advise guys.
I think next week are we going to have to push our boats to the far east side of Nunnally (from the first parking lot) to get on the water. But I'll be confirming that tomorrow.
I'm getting exited about trying Bobbi in the open areas. I'm having visions of bobber down! (Indicator for Ira). Bobber down is easier and more fun to say.

dp

~El Pescador
successful day on Saturday. the weather was perfect. walked with Lenice and Nunnally. Got a fish in each lake on a chiro. Porter was awesome - no barking issues at all... he stayed leashed up while at Lenice as there were a lot of people. we got to the sand bar and I fished some but really was watching the crowd. saw some fish caught.
Hiked into Nunnally from the second lot. I met the new Fish and Game guy when I pulled in. Pretty easy walk in and I feel I can push my boat in. No one was at Nunnally so Porter got to run free the entire time. it was a lot of fun. Found two places where I can launch on the far east side of the lake - could possibly be the beginning of Bobbi. There were boats in both areas (aluminum or fiberglass). shallow and really muddy.
what great weather. I will be back from Thursday -Sunday. will be fishing both lakes. se you there!

Latest posts