Joe Brooks Documentary

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Cool. I read his column in Outdoor Life back in the early-to-mid 60's. I let my subscription run out when my Dad's job took our family to Honolulu, whereafter my glass Fenwick remained entombed in its case, as I was immediately bitten by the surfing bug...after which the fiberglass products that I employed to obtain fun took the form of surf riding vehicles. I have a copy of his Trout Fishing Guide to America (I think that's the title) thats occupying space in my Dad's office library. I recently flipped through the pages and read some of it, and its amazing both how much, and how little, has changed. I think it was published in the early 60's.

doublespey

Steelhead-a-holic
I am super stoked about this movie...can't wait to see it. He fueled my Montana dreams as a young teen learning how to flyfish.

I am super stoked about this movie...can't wait to see it. He fueled my Montana dreams as a young teen learning how to flyfish.
I can recall like it was yesterday the picture of an 8 pound yellowstone river trout caught on a cowdung wet fly in a Joe Brooks article on wet fly fishing.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Lefty Kreh had his 93rd birthday the other day. All he could talk about was his old friend and mentor, Joe Brooks. Back in the day, these men were like gods to me: Joe Brooks, Ted Williams, Ted Trueblood, Ray Bergman, Lee Wulff, (Joan Wulff too!) and so many more. They were the modern pioneers, innovators and originators of so much of what our sport is today.

Being an East-Coaster, I had plenty of exposure to Lefty at the annual fishing shows. He has been the most generous and giving of all, in my estimation. He fished with kings and Presidents, and captains of industry, but his career was always mindful and inclusive of the ordinary working people. He wanted them to be able to enjoy fly fishing affordably, with good quality tackle. Lefty helped drive this in the fly fishing marketing culture. He created a great opportunity for anyone who wants to fly fish today. His accomplishments in fly fishing are legendary. Yet he humbly gives all of the credit to Joe Brooks.

This is an essay from the Baltimore Sun, posted on Lefty's birthday:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/dan-rodricks-blog/bs-md-rodricks-0226-story.html

Last edited:

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
A little young to read his words "fresh off the press" but Dad saved all his issues, kicking off in the 50's. One of Mr. Brooks stories stuck with me since running across it in the early 70's. GIANT Browns in South America, commuting treacherous roads high into the Ande's on poor, almost non-existent brakes. Top shelf whisky put to good use.. as brake fluid!

The kind of writing that planted the seed.. still very much enamored with it.

Everything I've ever read about him points to a extremely generous big hearted person. Looking forward to the documentary

flybop

I am looking forward to this. I actually got to meet Joe several times when I was far too young to understand who he was. Joe and others started a youth oriented fly fishing organization in Maryland back in the fifties. This is still going strong and has expanded to other states. It is called, The Brotherhood of the Jungle Cock. The name is derived from the jungle cock eye feathers. Every time I fish Nelson's spring creek I sit on the bench dedicated to Joe and imagine him stalking the rising fish.