NFR definitely not FF related

Jojo

What is that below the Blast on Trojans badge?
BTW,have you had a chance to see Wind River yet?Just curious as to your opinion if so.
@jamma , again thank you for the recommendation on Wind River. We watched it last night and i really liked it! I loved Jeremy Renner in Hurt Locker and he’s so perfect in this role. I was pleasantly surprised by the acting chops of the Elizabeth Olsen!

It was also nice to see ‘Shane’ from Walking Dead. Actually so many good actors in that movie from Dances with Wolves, Legends of the Fall. There was a quote in there about grief that Jeremy Renner’s character is telling the father of the Natalie girl who was killed that i wanted to write down.

A sad statistic about women on the reservation and the unsolved crimes.

jamma

Gil Birmingham,who also played Alberto in'Hell or High Water'was also excellent.I also liked the thinly veiled sarcasm whenever the Natives were confronted by prejudices.Director Taylor Sheridan thought Renner's performance was a career best.Something you may or may not know,the movie was a Weinstein production and Sheridan demanded and was granted two stipulations.First,that Harvey's name be removed from film and secondly,that all profits to the production company be donated to programs supporting Native American women,so by purchasing this,you are helping these women.There's some irony for you.That statistic was probably the most powerful statement the whole movie made.

Watched 3 Billboards...last nite.Frances is awesome.Girl deserves an Oscar for the scene with the deer alone.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Trapper

Author, Writer, Photographer
There was a quote in there about grief that Jeremy Renner’s character is telling the father of the Natalie girl who was killed that i wanted to write down.
Cory Lambert: I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't. If there's a comfort, you get used to the pain if you let yourself, I went to a grief seminar in Casper. Don't know why, just, It hurt so much, I was searching for anything that could make it go away That's what I wanted this seminar to do, make it go away. The instructor come up to me after the seminar was over, sat beside me and said, "I got good news and bad news. Bad news is you'll never be the same. You'll never be whole. Ever. What was taken from you can't be replaced. You're daughter's gone. Now the good news, as soon as you accept that, as soon as you let yourself suffer, allow yourself to grieve, You'll be able to visit her in your mind, and remember all the joy she gave you. All the love she knew. Right now, you don't even have that, do you?" He said, "that's what not accepting this will rob from you". If you shy from the pain of it, then you rob yourself of every memory of her, my friend. Every one. From her first step to her last smile. You'll kill 'em all. Take the pain, Take the pain, Martin. It's the only way to keep her with you

Last edited:

Jojo

@jamma i read that the movie got a standing ovation after that statistic came on the screen at the end of the movie. @Trapper, THANK YOU for including that part about grief. I am copying and pasting it. I thought that part was so poignant. I want to remember it.

I loved the movie “Three Billboards”. We actually bought it from On Demand and watched a few weeks ago. I hope Frances McDormand wins. I also hope Sam Rockwell wins. I have loved Rockwell for years from his Indie movies, Box of Moonlight (which also stars John Turturro and Catherine Keener) and Lawn Dogs, plus Green Mile. Folks should check out Box of Moonlight if they like Sam Rockwell in Three Billboards. I haven’t seen all of the nominated movies, but i hope this movie wins Best Picture. I heard “Shape of Water” is weird and it seems like most times the Oscar goes to movies i can’t stand.

Last night we bought “I, Tonya” and that is another really good movie. Allison Janey is fantastic and so is the actor who plays Tonya. It really does make you feel empathy for Tonya Harding. No one can deny that she made the Olympics the most exciting ever. I still complain that it seems that only good looking and articulate people make the Olympic teams.

jamma

@jamma i read that the movie got a standing ovation after that statistic came on the screen at the end of the movie. @Trapper, THANK YOU for including that part about grief. I am copying and pasting it. I thought that part was so poignant. I want to remember it.

I loved the movie “Three Billboards”. We actually bought it from On Demand and watched a few weeks ago. I hope Frances McDormand wins. I also hope Sam Rockwell wins. I have loved Rockwell for years from his Indie movies, Box of Moonlight (which also stars John Turturro and Catherine Keener) and Lawn Dogs, plus Green Mile. Folks should check out Box of Moonlight if they like Sam Rockwell in Three Billboards. I haven’t seen all of the nominated movies, but i hope this movie wins Best Picture. I heard “Shape of Water” is weird and it seems like most times the Oscar goes to movies i can’t stand.

Last night we bought “I, Tonya” and that is another really good movie. Allison Janey is fantastic and so is the actor who plays Tonya. It really does make you feel empathy for Tonya Harding. No one can deny that she made the Olympics the most exciting ever. I still complain that it seems that only good looking and articulate people make the Olympic teams.
Sam is indeed a fine actor.Enjoyed his work in several films,the sci-fi film'Moon' directed by Duncan Jones(David Bowie's son),'Choke',adapted from a Chuck Palahnuik novel(and one of the strangest movies I've ever seen)and Martin McDonagh's previous film'Seven Psychopaths'(he directed 3 Billboards...),where he portrayed a man who stole people's dogs to live off the reward money alongside Woody,Christopher Walken and Tom Waits(another quirky movie).

'The Florida Project' is up next.

Jojo

I did not know about Choke being a movie. Yes Chuck Palahnuik is an author that is not for everyone (myself included). I had heard about Seven Psychopaths before. Need to check that out. Do not think i would like Shape of Water. I told my husband he would have to pay me to see that so he went with our friend. Came back and said he hoped it didn’t win. I totally want to see The Florida Project. I really like Willem Dafoe.

jamma

This hit me on a very personal level.

Cory Lambert: I'd like to tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't. If there's a comfort, you get used to the pain if you let yourself, I went to a grief seminar in Casper. Don't know why, just, It hurt so much, I was searching for anything that could make it go away That's what I wanted this seminar to do, make it go away. The instructor come up to me after the seminar was over, sat beside me and said, "I got good news and bad news. Bad news is you'll never be the same. You'll never be whole. Ever. What was taken from you can't be replaced. You're daughter's gone. Now the good news, as soon as you accept that, as soon as you let yourself suffer, allow yourself to grieve, You'll be able to visit her in your mind, and remember all the joy she gave you. All the love she knew. Right now, you don't even have that, do you?" He said, "that's what not accepting this will rob from you". If you shy from the pain of it, then you rob yourself of every memory of her, my friend. Every one. From her first step to her last smile. You'll kill 'em all. Take the pain, Take the pain, Martin. It's the only way to keep her with you
You mentioned this movie hitting you on a personal level,did you wish to share?If it's too personal,I understand.My best friend's wife's first grandchild was raped and murdered.She would have graduated this year.It's been hard on everybody.Skip framed a photo of her for me and I keep it on my headboard so that she's always looking over me.She touched a lot of lives in her short stay with us.

jamma

I did not know about Choke being a movie. Yes Chuck Palahnuik is an author that is not for everyone (myself included). I had heard about Seven Psychopaths before. Need to check that out. Do not think i would like Shape of Water. I told my husband he would have to pay me to see that so he went with our friend. Came back and said he hoped it didn’t win. I totally want to see The Florida Project. I really like Willem Dafoe.
Had not read any of Chuck's books,just saw the two movies,'Fight Club' obviously being the other.What I do appreciate about his work is how he takes people with such random idiosyncrasies an makes a coherent story out of their interactions.
As for 'The Shape of Water',I guess I would be more open to the concept as both my parents were deaf and Guillermo's 'Hellboy' movies featured a Fish/man character who, outside of appearance,talked and behaved as any human would.I always enjoyed this bit of dialog between the two when they were heading off to battle when the Fish/man,who finds rotten eggs to be a great delicacy,says"Remind me again why we do this." to which Hellboy replies"Rotten eggs and the future of mankind." My guess is what Del Toro is trying to say is that there is love in this world somewhere no matter how different we may be and that can't be a bad thing,can it?Another good movie along these lines is 'Zero Effect' starring Bill Pullman as a highly eccentric private eye who meets an equally eccentric girl and they just fit.

Jojo

Had not read any of Chuck's books,just saw the two movies,'Fight Club' obviously being the other.

As for 'The Shape of Water',I guess I would be more open to the concept as both my parents were deaf and Guillermo's 'Hellboy' movies featured a Fish/man character who, outside of appearance,talked and behaved as any human would.
@jamma, both of your parents were deaf? You must have an amazing story to tell of what that is like growing up as a child. I assume you know sign language? I have been saying that i wish everyone across the world was taught sign language where the same sign for ‘ball’, ‘love’, ‘bathroom’ etc. were exactly the same across the world. We would not only be able to communicate with people who are born deaf or with older older folks, as they get older and lose their hearing, but we could travel everywhere and speak to one another. A universal language. I’m fascinated to see people signing and realize that just as with speaking, some are more articulate than others with their message signing. Marlee Marlin from “Children of a Lesser God” is one of those folks who signs so beautifully.

P.S. I loved the movie Fight Club. I wonder if Brad Pitt watches that movies and gets sad for his lost abs.