NFR definitely not FF related

Skip Enge

Staff member
@jamma, both of your parents were deaf? You must have an amazing story to tell of what that is like growing up as a child. I assume you know sign language? I have been saying that i wish everyone across the world was taught sign language where the same sign for ‘ball’, ‘love’, ‘bathroom’ etc. were exactly the same across the world. We would not only be able to communicate with people who are born deaf or with older older folks, as they get older and lose their hearing, but we could travel everywhere and speak to one another. A universal language. I’m fascinated to see people signing and realize that just as with speaking, some are more articulate than others with their message signing. Marlee Marlin from “Children of a Lesser God” is one of those folks who signs so beautifully.

P.S. I loved the movie Fight Club. I wonder if Brad Pitt watches that movies and gets sad for his lost abs.
Incredible sentiment Jojo..."universal language"... with communication around this globe...Well, to imagine such...would be-

Skip Enge

Staff member
Also @jamma and @Skip Enge can you explain your connection as friends? Are y’all related or did you meet through here and became friends in real life?
We grew up in the same small town...met in grade school, played square ball on the play ground...seemed to gravitate to a shared group of friends...I hung out at his house...graduated HS together. Fishing and music and something else was and is our bond. it feels good to have ...well I will say it -such a great best friend for so long.

jamma

We grew up in the same small town...met in grade school, played square ball on the play ground...seemed to gravitate to a shared group of friends...I hung out at his house...graduated HS together. Fishing and music and something else was and is our bond. it feels good to have ...well I will say it -such a great best friend for so long.
Might add we basically lived in the same neighborhood since the fourth grade.I have been blessed to know two exceptionally creative people like Skip and Red,my good friend who is responsible for the wood carving I use for my avatar.

Skip Enge

Staff member
Might add we basically lived in the same neighborhood since the fourth grade.I have been blessed to know two exceptionally creative people like Skip and Red,my good friend who is responsible for the wood carving I use for my avatar.
4th grade...okay then...how old are 4th graders? about 10 yrs old...thats a lotta wrinkle in our primitivity.

jamma

@jamma, both of your parents were deaf? You must have an amazing story to tell of what that is like growing up as a child. I assume you know sign language? I have been saying that i wish everyone across the world was taught sign language where the same sign for ‘ball’, ‘love’, ‘bathroom’ etc. were exactly the same across the world. We would not only be able to communicate with people who are born deaf or with older older folks, as they get older and lose their hearing, but we could travel everywhere and speak to one another. A universal language. I’m fascinated to see people signing and realize that just as with speaking, some are more articulate than others with their message signing. Marlee Marlin from “Children of a Lesser God” is one of those folks who signs so beautifully.

P.S. I loved the movie Fight Club. I wonder if Brad Pitt watches that movies and gets sad for his lost abs.
Amazing,yes,but not so much in a good way.Considering that we lived in a small(5000 pop.)mill town and did not see a person of color until I was a junior in high school,we sort of were ostracized by the community for being different although the state school for the deaf was just up the road.I experienced some bullying but am convinced there would have been more had it not been for my older brother,who did not look for fights but did not back down from one either,who kept me isolated from it.
As for the sign language,one of my defects is an inability to retain any sort of foreign language,including signing.Was not so much a problem with mother as she could read lips well but dad,not so good.I will say this,I could not have been raised by two finer people.I am also sure another component of this was a desire to appear "normal" which I now carry a certain amount of guilt for.But in the end,it made me a stronger person for it and a more understanding one.Would not trade it for the world.

Skip Enge

Staff member
Amazing,yes,but not so much in a good way.Considering that we lived in a small(5000 pop.)mill town and did not see a person of color until I was a junior in high school,we sort of were ostracized by the community for being different although the state school for the deaf was just up the road.I experienced some bullying but am convinced there would have been more had it not been for my older brother,who did not look for fights but did not back down from one either,who kept me isolated from it.
As for the sign language,one of my defects is an inability to retain any sort of foreign language,including signing.Was not so much a problem with mother as she could read lips well but dad,not so good.I will say this,I could not have been raised by two finer people.I am also sure another component of this was a desire to appear "normal" which I now carry a certain amount of guilt for.But in the end,it made me a stronger person for it and a more understanding one.Would not trade it for the world.
Your folks were truly wonderful and above all...I remember it so well...so pleasant and happy.

jamma

4th grade...okay then...how old are 4th graders? about 10 yrs old...thats a lotta wrinkle in our primitivity.
But recall,there was a certain amount of time when we didn't see each other when you went off to college and started a family until,duh,we wound up living in the same neighborhood again.

Skip Enge

Staff member
But recall,there was a certain amount of time when we didn't see each other when you went off to college and started a family until,duh,we wound up living in the same neighborhood again.
absinthe makes the heart grow fonder...want me to write a poem? Gimme a minute.

Jojo

I am also sure another component of this was a desire to appear "normal" which I now carry a certain amount of guilt for.But in the end,it made me a stronger person for it and a more understanding one.Would not trade it for the world.
Thank goodness for your brother. As ostracized as you must have felt i wonder how your parents felt in such a small community. I know that feeling of growing up in a less than perfect childhood but also not wanting to trade it for the world because i like how i turned out.

Jojo

PS @jamma , that wood carving is beautiful. I had to click on it to see it larger. Never really looked at it before. I collect hand blown glass and i have a rainbow trout made by a local glass artist. It’s amazing. The artist is Jenifer Holmes. She doesn’t blow glass anymore so I imagine it’s worth something because i saw one of her other glass trouts in a gallery in Sun Valley and it was selling for nearly $500. (I didn’t pay that, she was a girlfriend of a friend of ours.)

bakerite

Jojo, I was in that band from 1975-79. the Sonics started in the Tacoma area in 1962 and were one of the classic NW bands with regional hits. They were the classic "Garage band" and a inspiration to the later Seattle grunge movement. Jim Brady bought the band name. When I was in it we played a wide variety of music, mostly R&B influenced top 40 tunes for dancing. We performed all over the NW, Western Canada, and made two extended 6 month road trips to the Mid-West. We usually played the top dance club in the town we were in, 6 nights a week, 5 hours a night for 50 weeks a year. In Seattle, we played the most at Pier 70. More info and pictures here:
http://pnwbands.com/sonicsbrady1.html

jamma

PS @jamma , that wood carving is beautiful. I had to click on it to see it larger. Never really looked at it before. I collect hand blown glass and i have a rainbow trout made by a local glass artist. It’s amazing. The artist is Jenifer Holmes. She doesn’t blow glass anymore so I imagine it’s worth something because i saw one of her other glass trouts in a gallery in Sun Valley and it was selling for nearly $500. (I didn’t pay that, she was a girlfriend of a friend of ours.)
We were roomies for a while after high school and he basically made all our living room furniture from driftwood he found down by the river.Before we left to follow our own paths he made this huge mobile with one branch that was at least 5' long that was quite an impressive thing,I wish I had taken a picture of it.
We used to have these deep philosophical discussions about everything under the sun that I enjoyed so much but ruined me for any kind of relationship with normal people so I blame him for that.:p

Jojo

Jojo, I was in that band from 1975-79. the Sonics started in the Tacoma area in 1962 and were one of the classic NW bands with regional hits. They were the classic "Garage band" and a inspiration to the later Seattle grunge movement. Jim Brady bought the band name. When I was in it we played a wide variety of music, mostly R&B influenced top 40 tunes for dancing. We performed all over the NW, Western Canada, and made two extended 6 month road trips to the Mid-West. We usually played the top dance club in the town we were in, 6 nights a week, 5 hours a night for 50 weeks a year. In Seattle, we played the most at Pier 70. More info and pictures here:
http://pnwbands.com/sonicsbrady1.html
When you say The Sonics without Jim Brady’s name, that sounds familiar to me. So you were around during the bands like Baby Knockors, The Groceries, The Ron Gardner Band, and other bands that used to play The Back Forty? Did you play Top of the Ocean? - is that the top nightclub you are talking about?

Latest posts