Lifetime Warranties

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I saw this on another board.
LL Bean has been pretty well know for their lifetime product warranty.
It looks like they’ve reached the point where enough people have abused the system that they’ve now changed their warranty policy.

We’ve seen this recently with other companies as well, including one locally based company.
SF

A Letter to Our Customers

Since 1912, our mission has been to sell high-quality products that inspire and enable people to enjoy the outdoors. Our commitment to customer service has earned us your trust and respect, as has our guarantee, which ensures that we stand behind everything we sell.

Increasingly, a small, but growing number of customers has been interpreting our guarantee well beyond its original intent. Some view it as a lifetime product replacement program, expecting refunds for heavily worn products used over many years. Others seek refunds for products that have been purchased through third parties, such as at yard sales.

Based on these experiences, we have updated our policy. Customers will have one year after purchasing an item to return it, accompanied by proof of purchase. After one year, we will work with our customers to reach a fair solution if a product is defective in any way.

This update adds clarity to our policy and will only affect a small percentage of returns. It will also ensure we can continue to honor one of the best guarantees in retail, with no impact for the vast majority of our customers. To learn more, please view our fullreturn policyat llbean.com.

L.L.Bean has stood for quality, service, trust, and getting people outdoors ever since my great-grandfather founded our company over 100 years ago - and that will never change. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to continuing to inspire and enable you to Be an Outsider.

Sincerely,

Shawn O. Gorman
Executive Chairman

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
St Croix...I love them. broken a bunch of rods and sent them in ...sure it cost me a bit for a 10-20 year old rod...but hell I upgraded for a replacement.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
The gall of some folks is never ending...We have heard so many times...that it "ruins it for the rest of us"

Buzzy

I saw this on another board.
LL Bean has been pretty well know for their lifetime product warranty.
It looks like they’ve reached the point where enough people have abused the system that they’ve now changed their warranty policy.

We’ve seen this recently with other companies as well, including one locally based company.
SF

A Letter to Our Customers

Since 1912, our mission has been to sell high-quality products that inspire and enable people to enjoy the outdoors. Our commitment to customer service has earned us your trust and respect, as has our guarantee, which ensures that we stand behind everything we sell.

Increasingly, a small, but growing number of customers has been interpreting our guarantee well beyond its original intent. Some view it as a lifetime product replacement program, expecting refunds for heavily worn products used over many years. Others seek refunds for products that have been purchased through third parties, such as at yard sales.

Based on these experiences, we have updated our policy. Customers will have one year after purchasing an item to return it, accompanied by proof of purchase. After one year, we will work with our customers to reach a fair solution if a product is defective in any way.

This update adds clarity to our policy and will only affect a small percentage of returns. It will also ensure we can continue to honor one of the best guarantees in retail, with no impact for the vast majority of our customers. To learn more, please view our fullreturn policyat llbean.com.

L.L.Bean has stood for quality, service, trust, and getting people outdoors ever since my great-grandfather founded our company over 100 years ago - and that will never change. Thank you for being a loyal customer and we look forward to continuing to inspire and enable you to Be an Outsider.

Sincerely,

Shawn O. Gorman
Executive Chairman
Thanks for sharing this, Brian. Very interesting and a sign of the times.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
It basically boils down to those who abuse the system are in the product rental business at the expense of the customers who are not.

I'm surprised it took this long and wouldn't be surprised if other companies start following suit.

Nick Clayton

I started to feel dirty after my 3rd Redington wader replacement. One of the reasons I went with simms.

I tend to agree, however I also think that for the price they charge Redington should be able to make a pair of waders that can last longer than a year without leaking so I have never felt too bad about it

Now that they are strictly enforcing the one year warranty I dont feel the cost warrants the quality and my next pair will definitely be Simms

Shad

I think this warranty business just needs a little balancing. The replacement cost should increase a little each year for the customer, and after 5 years or so, it should be full retail. That should de-incentivize the practice of making excessive claims. A warranty is a great bonus when buying something expensive, but lifetime warranties only serve to drive up retail costs over time, for all the reasons mentioned here.

plecoptera419

This is bogus news considering I just bought a new wading jacket from LL Bean. The lifetime warranty and their customer service reputation were deciding factors in that purchase.

Steelhead

No lifetime warranty= lower prices right????

Redington doesn't have lifetime warranty on waders anymore. Half the reason people buy them.

Mems

Lifetime warranties, problem is whose life? Yours or the companies. Most companies offer lifetime warranties so they will keep you as a customer. Orvis had a 25 year warranty. I have a couple of old Orvis rods I never use. I bought a Reddington Vapen rod recently, even though I know they have a bad reputation of breaking. I got it on sale and if it breaks, oh well. I like the Wynn grip. I rep for TFO and we have very good customer service and quick turn around. I think companies build a following by treating their customers with respect and loyalty. If you have a bad experience just go up the chain of command and find someone who will help you. You are the one that matters, they are working for you. Mems.

Squamishpoacher

Rather than start a new thread I searched and came across this one. I turned my 4-piece Orvis Access 10' 8 weight rod into a 5 piece this fall casting to coho on the beach. The rod snapped about 4 inches below the ferrule where the tip section joined. I shipped it off to Orvis. I was told the rod was no longer made but they would take a look at it.

Yesterday I received notice from the post office to pick up a package. I had to shell out for the shipping but that was only $22 and it cost me about that to send it. I opened the box and was pleasantly surprised to find a brand new Orvis Recon 10' 8 weight inside and a note stating that my Access could not be repaired and parts for it were no longer available so they were replacing it with a Recon.

I can't wait to get out and try my new rod. A big thanks to Orvis for their rock solid warranty.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
The "we'll replace any rod for any reason for like $30" warranties are going to be phasing out, and many companies have quietly already rolled their new replacement programs. I imagine Orvis will be last to do so since rods aren't a primary product for them, but who knows.

I can tell you from the "inside," abuse of these programs is rampant and they're simply unsustainable.

Latest posts