Making your own dubbing brush

How many of you make your own?

I just made up a couple, but the ultra wire (sm) was too weak for the amount of materials I used. Admittedly, I need to use less material for less bulk, but once I start making them for muskies, I'll need stronger wire.

What type of wire do you typically use?

while mine looked rather gnarly, once I brushed them out, wrapped what I needed, then brushed them out again, they ended up looking great on the fly (or at least what I was more or less looking for.

cms829

I haven't made or used brushes....just because I dont understand the difference. Why not just do a quick dubbing loop? It doesnt save you any time by making brushes since your spending the time making them. Am I missing something? Can you be more complex or something with brushes? I can make one pretty cool composite dubbing loop with two index cards very quickly.

I am genuinely curious as to what I am missing out on. Or maybe I am just trying to justify another fly tying purchase. :)

Much easier to make a complex brush than using a loop. I've never been able to do a loop with two colors of congo hair, two colors of flash, and rubber legs etc.

It does take a bit to make a complex brush, but for src sized flies I can often get a dozen flies out of a single brush.

Also much more durable than a thread loop.

Not saying a brush is better, but these are the reasons I use them

Randall,

I bought the Stonfo dubbing brush setup and last summer tried to use various gauge uni wires and had similar problems. I recently ordered the uni brush wire in large but have yet to try it. Judging by what Nick said, I hope I shouldn't have ordered med.

I haven't made or used brushes....just because I dont understand the difference. Why not just do a quick dubbing loop? It doesnt save you any time by making brushes since your spending the time making them. Am I missing something? Can you be more complex or something with brushes? I can make one pretty cool composite dubbing loop with two index cards very quickly.

I am genuinely curious as to what I am missing out on. Or maybe I am just trying to justify another fly tying purchase. :)
You hit the nail on the head in terms of being able to make complex brushes. If you were to try and use ice ripple fiber with Congo hair or some other synthetic fiber, you will understand quickly why a dubbing brush makes more sense. Also, I was tired of buying EP brushes each time I wanted to tie streamers. What I also like is that you can even spin schlappen and various other things and make some very buggy looking streamers.

I make my own. I like to add Amherst Center tail to my brushes. I also buy them from time to time. The EP fiber brushes come 6 in a pack which is a good deal. I use brassie or small uni wire.

Exactly! The EP stuff is so expensive as to make it almost impossible to tie a bunch of flies. I found that Congo hair works about the same at a mere fraction of the cost. I'm not cheap but I balk at the EP prices.:eek:

Last edited:
just made one up with the medium uni wire that I had lying around and I was pretty impressed with how well it worked....at least with the smaller amount of stuff I was using.

I'll have to look into the DBW stuff.

Latest posts