NOF Public Comment Period

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
The public comment period is now open and up on the WDFW website.
Click on the link below and submit your comments and let WDFW know what you want as far as salmon seasons for 2018.
Also add anything you think would be pertinent in regards to salmon season affecting gamefish angling opportunities in both fresh and saltwater.
SF

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2018/index.php

Last edited:

Stonefish

Bump to the top.

With a less then robust coho forecast and some chinook stocks being of concern, please make sure to submit your comments.

Let WDFW know what you want in regards to salmon seasons as well as gamefish (cutthroat) opportunities in both salt and freshwater.
SF

TDB

And just a heads up for the multi area fisherman, it fills out the contact info for each MA after you fill out the first one.

You then only had to fill out the comment section, which was mostly a copy and paste exercise.

Dizane

Coast to Coast
See that the 2018 ocean options are roughly 60% of last year.

Curt
As I read WDFW informational docs, the Coast/Columbia forecast is about 60% of last years so that makes sense to me.

I submitted my comments asking that gamefish fisheries, including sea run cutthroat, not be sacrificed under the guise of "saving" salmon, that the Department do everything possible to allow access to the plus south sound hatchery chinook run that is forecast, and that I'd rather fish blackmouth in March than November.

Is anyone in the Sequim area attending tonight's hearing on PS? It will be very interesting to hear what comes out of that.

Greg Armstrong

OldRodsHaveMoreFun
As I read WDFW informational docs, the Coast/Columbia forecast is about 60% of last years so that makes sense to me.

I submitted my comments asking that gamefish fisheries, including sea run cutthroat, not be sacrificed under the guise of "saving" salmon, that the Department do everything possible to allow access to the plus south sound hatchery chinook run that is forecast, and that I'd rather fish blackmouth in March than November.

Is anyone in the Sequim area attending tonight's hearing on PS? It will be very interesting to hear what comes out of that.
I did the same regarding commenting on unnecessary gamefish closures (ie; Searun Cutthroat).

Comments sent for all marine areas and ocean areas. TDB is correct, once you fill everything out for one MA then it auto fills it for the other areas you comment on. Super easy.

Stonefish

State, tribes to host public discussion
on salmon in Lynnwood

OLYMPIA – Anglers, commercial fishers, and others interested in salmon in Washington can take part in an informal discussion with state and tribal fish managers on April 3.

The public meeting is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at the Lynnwood Embassy Suites, 20610 44th Ave. W., Lynnwood.

The plenary session takes place during the annual salmon season-setting process known as North of Falcon, which includes a series of public meetings involving federal, state, tribal and industry representatives as well as other concerned citizens.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will meet with the public earlier in the day on April 3 to consider proposals for potential recreational and non-treaty commercial salmon fishing seasons this year. Those discussions will continue in the late afternoon.

Representatives of the state's treaty tribes will join state fish managers after lunch to discuss with the public a variety of salmon-related issues including conservation objectives for Puget Sound chinook salmon, habitat restoration efforts and salmon fisheries. The public will be invited to ask questions after brief opening remarks by the state and tribal co-managers.

The annual process of setting salmon fishing seasons is held in conjunction with public meetings conducted by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC). The council is responsible for establishing fishing seasons in ocean water 3 to 200 miles off the Pacific coast.

The PFMC is scheduled to adopt final ocean fishing seasons and harvest levels at its April 6-11 meeting in Portland, Ore. The 2018-19 salmon fisheries package for Washington's inside waters is expected to be completed by the state and tribal co-managers during the PFMC's April meeting.

Information about the salmon season-setting process, as well as a list of other meetings, is available on WDFW's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/

Stonefish

One last bump.
Comments can be submitted through this Friday, April 6th.

The meeting in Lynnwood mentioned earlier in this thread is today starting at 1:00 if your schedule allows.
Thanks,
SF

Latest posts