Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NOF Public Comment Period

2K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Bob Smith 
#1 · (Edited)
The public comment period is now open and up on the WDFW website.
Click on the link below and submit your comments and let WDFW know what you want as far as salmon seasons for 2018.
Also add anything you think would be pertinent in regards to salmon season affecting gamefish angling opportunities in both fresh and saltwater.
SF

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2018/index.php

#2 ·
Bump to the top.

With a less then robust coho forecast and some chinook stocks being of concern, please make sure to submit your comments.

Let WDFW know what you want in regards to salmon seasons as well as gamefish (cutthroat) opportunities in both salt and freshwater.
SF

#3 ·
Weekly bump to the top.
Don't miss the opportunity to submit your comments in regards to what you want for our 2018 salmon seasons.
Don't forget to include your thoughts on gamefish in both salt and freshwater as well.
SF

https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/2018/index.php

#7 ·
As I read WDFW informational docs, the Coast/Columbia forecast is about 60% of last years so that makes sense to me.

I submitted my comments asking that gamefish fisheries, including sea run cutthroat, not be sacrificed under the guise of "saving" salmon, that the Department do everything possible to allow access to the plus south sound hatchery chinook run that is forecast, and that I'd rather fish blackmouth in March than November.

Is anyone in the Sequim area attending tonight's hearing on PS? It will be very interesting to hear what comes out of that.

#8 ·
As I read WDFW informational docs, the Coast/Columbia forecast is about 60% of last years so that makes sense to me.

I submitted my comments asking that gamefish fisheries, including sea run cutthroat, not be sacrificed under the guise of "saving" salmon, that the Department do everything possible to allow access to the plus south sound hatchery chinook run that is forecast, and that I'd rather fish blackmouth in March than November.

Is anyone in the Sequim area attending tonight's hearing on PS? It will be very interesting to hear what comes out of that.
I did the same regarding commenting on unnecessary gamefish closures (ie; Searun Cutthroat).

#12 ·

State, tribes to host public discussion
on salmon in Lynnwood

OLYMPIA - Anglers, commercial fishers, and others interested in salmon in Washington can take part in an informal discussion with state and tribal fish managers on April 3.

The public meeting is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at the Lynnwood Embassy Suites, 20610 44th Ave. W., Lynnwood.

The plenary session takes place during the annual salmon season-setting process known as North of Falcon, which includes a series of public meetings involving federal, state, tribal and industry representatives as well as other concerned citizens.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) will meet with the public earlier in the day on April 3 to consider proposals for potential recreational and non-treaty commercial salmon fishing seasons this year. Those discussions will continue in the late afternoon.

Representatives of the state's treaty tribes will join state fish managers after lunch to discuss with the public a variety of salmon-related issues including conservation objectives for Puget Sound chinook salmon, habitat restoration efforts and salmon fisheries. The public will be invited to ask questions after brief opening remarks by the state and tribal co-managers.

The annual process of setting salmon fishing seasons is held in conjunction with public meetings conducted by the Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC). The council is responsible for establishing fishing seasons in ocean water 3 to 200 miles off the Pacific coast.

The PFMC is scheduled to adopt final ocean fishing seasons and harvest levels at its April 6-11 meeting in Portland, Ore. The 2018-19 salmon fisheries package for Washington's inside waters is expected to be completed by the state and tribal co-managers during the PFMC's April meeting.

Information about the salmon season-setting process, as well as a list of other meetings, is available on WDFW's website at https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/northfalcon/

#14 ·
One last bump.
Comments can be submitted through this Friday, April 6th.

The meeting in Lynnwood mentioned earlier in this thread is today starting at 1:00 if your schedule allows.
Thanks,
SF

#16 ·
Either I haven’t been paying close enough attention or things are quieter then the past few years in regards to NOF.
I guess we’ll see if the fireworks start on the 6th like they have the past few years. Agreements, disagreements.....I guess we’ll see starting Friday and what our seasons look like.
SF

#17 ·
I think it is quieter this year because both co managers are keeping things under wraps until the Final NOF meeting. That and rec anglers are becoming accustom to closures and limited fisheries. In short the towel has been thrown in. Why fight what can't be changed? From what I have heard recently: We are still banned from fishing the Skok and for some reason the state keeps running their hatchery. Ocean fisheries will be limited with short season determined by how quickly the coho quota is caught. The straits will be lucky to have more than a month long fishery. North sound will be mostly closed with very limited opportunities for hatchery coho. South Sound will be wide open for hatchery kings and any silvers.

This is my guess based on what I have heard from family and friends attending meeting and working on advisory boards with the WDFW.

#20 ·
They need to shut down the hatchery and divert the funding to other hatcheries. Myself and many others don't want to pay for the tribes private commercial fishery.
What is the name of the hatchery?

#24 ·
Sounds like my Intel was pretty accurate. Unfortunately it was worse than I had anticipated. NOAA shortened the season or closed some areas based on the fact they could be taken to court by the WFC. Unfortunately the WFC has flawed data specifically in regards to two runs of chinook in hood canal which will end up restricting most washington saltwater salmon fisheries this year. My father is on his way home from NOF in Portland. Many concessions were made to have any fisheries at all. If you want to know the details PM me. The future of salmon fishing in washington is not looking very bright despite the prediction of large hatchery salmon returns. I will be purchasing my Canadian license tomorrow. Might as well be able to fish for and catch the salmon I and you are paying for somewhere.

#27 ·
You get marked selective in MA 9 through September, which is better then last year. That is an extra month in prime time to harvest hatchery fish if you’d like. Wish it was open through October.
It closed on September 4th last year, right before it would have popped based on MA 10 catches last year.
Too bad MA 10 doesn’t offer the same quality of beaches MA 9 does.

What I don’t understand is MA 8-1 and 8-2 being non selective and MA 9 being all marked selective. It doesn’t matter to me as I don’t plan to harvest any wild fish, but with all the Stilly concern it just seems odd.
I know the concern is more chinook related, but the coho numbers aren’t even close to those of the Snohomish.
You’d think both of those areas would be marked selective as well.

Based on all the blob doom and gloom and lack of returns in 2015, I’m surprised we get this much opportunity this year.
SF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.